android
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Headphones

Firstly I just want to thank nobs for pointing me over here. Although there is only so many hours in the day, I will try to scan this thread from time to time to see what is new. Tobey is totally bilingual, so I know he will translate from dapreview.
On the headphones, I just wanted to explain the theory behind why the lengths of each earpiece is different. The theory behind the operation is the left one goes straight into your ear and the right one goes around your neck and into your right ear (around your neck-meaning behind your neck). This helps 'pull' on your ears as the cable is perched on the back of your neck, and hence this is why the cable lengths are different.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM

I thought all this time it was to allow the main cord (where the individual Left and Right phone cords come together) to hang down behind the wearer's torso, as opposed to the front, which in turn allows the wearer to jog, work-out, handle objects, and freely use his/her arms & hands without getting the main cord tangled in the way, and possibly damaging the player's headphone jack.

The asymetrical lengths of the individual phone cords was to help the main cord fall to the side of the wearer's torso, and not down the center. Since most players are either clipped to a wearer's side, or strapped to a wearer's arm, this would help the wearer connect the headphone plug to the player's jack, without pulling or tugging on the cord excessively.

Was I wrong?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Actually we are saying pretty much the same thing, just if you wear it with the right one behind the neck gravity is less influential on your ears. I posted this as somebody thought they were defective due to the different lengths.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Insignia Moderator

Hey, welcome to ABi Digitaldel.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Welcome Oh firmware master
Funny how some folks really don't like the uneven cord lenghts, I personally prefer 'em that way.
But the old saying, can't please 'em all.
I'll stick with the V-Mode Vibes due to percieved comfort of MY ears.
enjoy

Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Yes, the comfort thing is a very tricky. I used the earbuds in the Insignia products all the way to Asia and I thought they were pretty comfortable. However we have definitely found that different people have found them less comfortable. So who likes what on the headphone front and why?

Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Insignia Moderator

I can't stand earbuds of any kind. I find them incredibly uncomfortable. I usually just throw the included earbuds away, and use my own.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 AM

The earbuds that came with the Insignia are far better than any I had at home. They really do sound good. It was amazing.

I thought the lengths were uneven so that you always knew which ear each plug would fit it. (So you always wore them the same way).

ADVERTISE the Insignia MP3's more! Put an AD on TV about them! They are that good.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8404

Get rid of those crappy earbuds...

Here's a thread for those of us that want great sound, at a budget price. Thank dfkt for compiling this amazing list.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 AM

First off, welcome to the forum!

I know several of us here picked up the player due in no small part to your activity on dapreview. Refreshing to see somebody take notice once in a while. Hopefully word of mouth will start to pick up as more people see what a little beast of a device you guys put together for us.

Back on topic: I dunno, asymetrical cords, in my opinion, are one of those little things that are nice to have, but you don't really miss them when they're gone. Really if either earpiece on a pair of phones is getting pulled, I just patch in a longer cord.

Honestly, for me at least, included headphones end up in a drawer somewhere, waiting to be torn apart to serve as a replacement for a cord that got snagged on something and pulled the wrong way.

This:
Quote:
around your neck and into your right ear (around your neck-meaning behind your neck)
did make me laugh. How many accidental headphone related deaths did the world have to suffer before someone pointed this out?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxitage View Post
This:did make me laugh. How many accidental headphone related deaths did the world have to suffer before someone pointed this out?
Gotta be careful out there..............it's a jungle..........

Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Insignia Moderator

I just dug out the included 'buds because I need to send my Sennheiser HD485s in for repair. And I have to say, I'm somewhat surprised. These are a lot less tin canny than I thought they'd be. Of course, there's virtually no bass, but the mids and highs are fairly decent. I'll definitely be able to live with them for the next 2 or so weeks...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 AM

Well Thanx Digitaldel. Your explanation of the different lenghts of the earbuds was really clear. Now it makes sense! lol. I always thought i had some deffected earbuds lol... Well good to know I just put my earbuds the way u explained. and I gota say its pretty cool. Would have prefered for it to be the other way though. The left one to be longer, because I like to carry my Insignia on the right pocket. but o well, thanx for the info.