android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM

THANK YOU!!!
I've had my ZVM30 for over a year and had not yet been able to use it with my laptop, only with family and friends' pcs and now it finally works!!
Wonderful, i'm so glad i got that figured out!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello and welcome to ABI Lux! Good to hear you got your ZVM working. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Default HELP!!

I have tried to post my problem on the epizenter forums, but they have not found a way to help me yet. Here is a link to the thread. Click Here. I recieved my ZVM two years ago as a christmas gift. I has worked perfectly, no complaints untill about two weeks ago. My computer has stopped recognizing my Zen! I have XP SP2, and plenty of memory. I plug in the player, the player says it is docked and it is charging. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device via device manager, and when the computer finds the player, it detects an MTP device. Any time I click the Close button on the balloon, it pops up again. The device manager screen is shown below. When I double click the "!" The properties windows pops up and informs me "This Device cannot start" and flashes to and from "No drivers are installed for this device" the trouble shooters are not helpful in the least. I have cleaned up and reformatted the player using recovery mode. I have reinstalled WMP and all Creative software. I have used a multitude of USB cables and ports, it doesn't work on another computer either. What should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp MTP device balloon.bmp (43.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: bmp Device Manager Window.bmp (44.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: bmp Device properties 1.bmp (26.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello smada227. Welcome to ABI. Well, the ZVM should not be detected as an MTP Device (should be Zen Vision M). The fact that it is tells me that the either Windows is using a wrong MTP driver or that MTP is "broke" or not properly installed. What version of WMP is installed?

Quote:
I have reinstalled WMP and all Creative software.
The first thing I would do is make sure that all of the Creative software is uninstalled. Not only is the software unecassary, it usually causes problems with MTP when installed on an Operating System that is already MTP compliant (WMP10 or WMP11 installed). So, make sure that the Creative software is all uninstalled and do not reinstall any of them.

Once all of the Creative software is uninstalled, try reinstalling or upgrading to WMP11. From there, let me know how it goes.

Also, from the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
If recieving receiving "The device cannot start (code 10 or Code 18)" within Device Manager, you can try this registry entry change to fix this problem:

Possible Fix 1:

Warning: This fix involves editing the Windows Registry. Please try if you feel it is your last resort and any of the previous fixes have not worked. It is a good idea to back up the enteries you modify or delete.

1. Disconnect the Zen, if connected.

2. Run regedit (Click on the "Start" button and select "Run") and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

3. In the right hand panel, the key "(Default)" should say "Portable Devices".

4. Delete the Key “UpperFilters”.

5. Delete the Key “LowerFilters” (If present).

6. Reconnect the device .

This Registry change has been known to work on Windows XP SP2 only. I am not sure if it will work on other versions of Windows.

Possible Fix 2:

Check the Control Panel > Admin Tools> Services for a service called LibUSB-Win32 and disable it. This service has been confirmed to cause this error with the Zen's driver. See threads here, here, and here.

Possible Fix 3:

A corrupt database on the Zen has also been known to cause this. In theory, the Zen will react by not communicating during enumeration (loading the driver with the OS) to prevent any further possible corruption. To correct this corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup from the menu. Along this same theory, if a Cleanup doesn't seem to repair the database, the corruption could also be more severe and exist on the file system level. Too correct a file system corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select Format from the menu. A Format will rebuild the file system WARNING: A Format will erase all files on the Zen, so keep that in mind.
These 3 possible fixes seem to be the most popular with resolving the Error Code 10 issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM

After re-installing WMP 11 and uninstalling all Creative software, when I plug in the player the "Found New Software" balloon reads "Creative Zen Vision M" then switches to "MTP Device" after a second. I will try the other suggestions that you provided and let you know how it goes.

*edit*
I was unable to find a "UpperFilters" key or a "LowerFilters" key. I was also unable to find a LibUSB-Win32 Service. Could that be a problem?

*edit again!*
After thinking about it, the problem may have been caused when I updated my firmware. I may have inadvertently downloaded and installed something for a 60 GB model. I did this when evermy Zen was taking forever to load up at the "water droplet screen" and making those soft clicking noises. I figured the problem was because the player was getting full, but there was still 7 GB left. I dowloaded the mp3 player recovery tool and used it to reinstall the firmware, and also did a disk clean up, although I'm not sure which I did first. That solved the clicking problems, but I'm sure that after using the recovery tool the computer stopped recognizing the player. Not even the recovery tool itself recognized it. I hope this information will help!

Thank you for you help!

Last edited by smada227; 08-27-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I was unable to find a "UpperFilters" key or a "LowerFilters" key. I was also unable to find a LibUSB-Win32 Service. Could that be a problem?
No, you are good. That is a service that is installed by third party programs that causes the problem. So, if you don't have it, that is good.

The clicking sounds you were getting concerns me. They are usually directly related to hard drive issues (mainly failures). It sounds as though the ZVM itself may be the cause of the detection/driver issue. Have you tried booting back into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup again to see if that helps? Also, do you have another computer you can try your ZVM with or even another ZVM you can try on your computer?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 PM

The disk clean up did not help, and the player was not recognized on the other computer. I do not have another ZVM, although my brother has an insignia 4 GB player and it works fine.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, try it in this order.... if you can:

1. Boot into Recovery Mode
2. Do a Format (twice)
3. Reload Firmware (downloaded file or recovery tool)
4. Cleanup
5. Reboot

If you cannot get through this list (since you have already previously tried them) either keep trying other computers (check to see if the other computers have the same issue or not) or consider you may have amore serious issue with the hard drive (clicking sounds...).

Zen FAQ

Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Where might I purchase a new hard drive? Would it be more expensive than replacing the player? How would I put in the new hard drive? Which player would you recommend if the ZVM is sold out or otherwise unavailable?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM

The firmware update worked! I was reluctant to erase the firmware because the player would be useless if the computer couldn't find it, but the installer found it and WMP is synching to the player now! Thank you BobbyRS for all your help!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smada227 View Post
The firmware update worked! I was reluctant to erase the firmware because the player would be useless if the computer couldn't find it, but the installer found it and WMP is synching to the player now! Thank you BobbyRS for all your help!
Ahh, good to hear! Good job. You are quite welcome.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Hey there, I've been having similar problems with my Creative Zen Vision: M.

I'm really at my wits end, I've had my player for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.. lately the battery icon on the top right malfunctioned and saying it was always charging when it wasn't.

Then one day I woke up, wen't to Uni and on the train, thought my Zen had no battery. When I brought it back home to charge on our DC charger, no sign it was charging except blue power light came on, and stayed on when i unplugged it from the mains. Connecting it to my laptop didn't help it either, as it wasn't detected by XP, no matter which usb port, usb cable or laptop I've tried. I've spent a good 2 days googling the problem reading all the posts I can and comparing it to my problem.

Problems:

-Unresponsive (Appears dead, Black Screen)
-Blue Light Blinks when connected to computer (tried for 48 hours)
-Blue Light is on when connected to AC/DC (tried for 12 hours)(Light stays on after I unplug it)
-Reset Pinhole Button just turns off blue power light, if it is on. Does nothing else.
-Switched Laptops, Usb Cables, Usb Ports with no success

Please help!

edit:

Interesting, A moment after I typed that out, the blue key lights went on. Reseting did nothing, So I plugged it to my AC/DC power, and a blank white screen appeared and the blue key lights went off. If I disconnect the player from the power, the white screen goes away but the blue button lights come on, but when I plug it in, it comes back on and the blue button lights go off.

Last edited by Tim.z; 09-27-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Tim.z. Welcome. Besides a possible mainboard issue, it mostly sounds like you have a bad battery. The battery indicator may not have been "broke". It may have actually been trying to charge the battery all the time like it indicated. The battery just may have no longer began accepting a charge or did so extremely slowly.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Ill begin by saying that my zen vision 30 is probably one of the best mp3 players i have ever had. If only it had a decent docking station...

My first zen lasted me for 2 yearsafter which the hard drive became corrupted, and i was expected to pay 200 US to get it replaced. I wanted another device, and ended up paying a final price of $150 CDN for another vision. I've had this one for three months, and i have found an impassable problem. I ran it until the battery was drained one day so i could do a full charge, and afterwards the device charged fine. I then listened to it for a few hours, and it then gave me a white screen, but the music would still play. However, this could be fixed by pressing the reset button. I then turned it off. Coming back two hours later, my player would not turn on at all, and reseting wouldnt work. Using my wall charger, i tryed to charge it, but all i got was a flashing light on the top, and no response, and when i unplugged it, the light went solid until the remaining battery ran dry. I then tryed to plug it into my computer, but the device wouldnt recognize, and i got the same flashing light. After a day or so of computer charging, the light finally turned solid while plugged in, the device recognized, and the buttons lit up when pressed, and stayed lit for 5-6 seconds. I tried to upgrade the firmware, which said it was installed succesfully, yet my player still woulnt respond. Now again the device isnt recognized, and i cant do anything with it. Unfourtunatly, as i bought it refurbished, it is outside the scope of the warrenty. This is an amazing mp3 player and i would be greatly appreciative if any of you could help me to save it

I am running vista 32bit, and have an xp if i need it, and i'm using the zen vision: M 30GB.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks OP, your post helped me out. Really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello ccjav. Welcome. It sounds like you have a power/battery issue now. Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be severely depleted and allowing the charge to run down too far can be fatal for older batteries. I would consider replacing the battery.

Check out the threads below for more information:

Here is the Battery Replacement thread.
Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is a YouTube video of replacing the battery
Here is another YouTube video of replacing the battery

Zen FAQ

Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 AM

could it be possible for me to use the battery from my old zen to replace into my new one? the old one still has power and the only thing wrongwith the mp3 was the hard drive

Old 10-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah sure, if it is the same model and the battery still holds and takes a charge.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 AM

awesome... thank you very much

Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem.

Zen FAQ