android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Hi Guys!

I haven't touched my Zen in about 7 months i reckon.
So recently I tried charging it again, first i just used the AC. Then I tried USB. But I just get the adapter symbol on my Zen. Every time I disconnect it from the charger it just switches off and i can't turn it on.

Anyone help/advise what to do?

MTP is up to date.

Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome. Yes, it could be that the battery needs replaced. Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged like that. See this thread for replacement information. You could try connecting the charger and leaving it plugged in charging for a day or two to see if the ZVM being holding a charge or eventually turns back on. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Welcome. Yes, it could be that the battery needs replaced. Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged like that. See this thread for replacement information. You could try connecting the charger and leaving it plugged in charging for a day or two to see if the ZVM being holding a charge or eventually turns back on. Good luck!
Thanks Bobby!
Right, i'll leave it on see if it improves. If not ill have to get a new one!
Cheers

Old 02-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice10 View Post
Thanks Bobby!
Right, i'll leave it on see if it improves. If not ill have to get a new one!
Cheers
No problem. If you need a new battery, go for the OE replacement.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM

I had the same problem that the computer wouldn't recognize my zvm. I tried to reinstall the Creative Programs (they're still on my computer), but I looked around and found that I needed to do a couple of steps that were too much, but I was able to fix it by just reinstalling the firmware on my zvm.

The problem is that the computer still analyzes it as a MTP device, not a Creative Zen Vision: M. I have Windows XP SP2, haven't removed WMP 11, and I still have the Creative Programs on my computer. Should I be worried and start panicking or should i just keep cool?

*Edit*: I was able to make the MTP Device turn into the Creative Zen Vision: M text, or logo (whatever it's called). All I did was remove the device and install it again. However, my other problem is that I can't put any music w/o restarting windows. There a reason why?

Last edited by Benster105; 02-09-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It looks as though you have a driver/MTP issue. To get it worked out, I would uninstall all of the Creative software and then reinstall WMP11.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Check Device Manager for the status of the driver. I suspect the driver to be fine since the screen is saying Docked and you can access the removable drive partition. Your issue sounds like an issue with the software. What software are you using to sync to your ZVM? If you open WMP, does it see the Zen? Did you know you do not even need the software to add/remove files from the ZVM. Just open Windows Explorer and drag-and-drop the files.
Thanks i'll try that. i am using the software that it came with. is there any other software i can using to do that. but ill try to drag and drop.

ill tell you how it turns out

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desssssuone View Post
is there any other software i can using to do that.
Sure. You can use other sync/media managers like WMP, MediaMonkey, Winamp....

Zen FAQ

Old 03-15-2009, 03:11 PM

I am just about at my wits end with this unit. I'm somewhat having the same disconnect issue as most people here, but I'm having another problem with the darn thing. After doing a reset, a cleanup, a format and reload firmware, I can't download the firmware from my PC to the unit, because the firmware upgrade says the player isn't connected. The player makes the connection sound when I hook it up to a laptop USB port, and it installs and I can view the player under the Device Manager, but when I go to WMP to sync my music to the player, it doesn't even list the unit as being connected. I have service pack 3 installed, WMP11, and I've installed the MTP driver from the Creative CD. I've tried everything else that this thread has mentioned and still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshield13 View Post
I can view the player under the Device Manager,
Does it show as a Zen Vision M or an MTP Device? No other software will be able to properly detect it as just an MTP Device. It needs to show correctly as a ZVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshield13 View Post
I have service pack 3 installed, WMP11, and I've installed the MTP driver from the Creative CD. I've tried everything else that this thread has mentioned and still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm noticing SP3 including in many detection issues these days. Perhaps there is something more to this....

Zen FAQ

Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Hey my Zen vison m which ive had for about a year now was recently uninstalled off the computer on accident. i used the cd which came with the zen when i bought it and reinstalled the software. but when i plug in the player, it just turns on as if i was going to listen to it, and doesnt go to the docking screen. its not recognized in my computer or the zen explorer program. i tried reinstalling the driver with the control panel and then i select mtp device. when i do that it says the device was installed, but may not start (Code 10). So what the hell do i do. Please help me

Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 AM

Sorry if this has been asked already but currently my zen doesn't have any firmware on it. I got my computer to recognize it and I have all of the creative software installed. When I go to reinstall the firmware, the firmware update program won't recognize the player. If anyone could I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In the Creative software's settings (Creative MediaSource) go to Tools>Settings>Detector & turn that OFF(uncheck the box & close the program. Then try it again.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM

Default Major problem!!!

Yo,
my mp3 started freezing so i had to reset it a few times, and i got tired of it freezing so i reloaded the firmware, unfotunatly, when i downloaded the latest firmware of creative's website, the upgrade button was greyed out when i run it, i tried the mp3 recovery tool, it showed me up the same window with the greyed out button after downloading the latest firmware.
Info:
-my mp3 is now stuck i recovery mode with the old firmware 0.0.22
-i run windows XP professional
-i have no windows media player 11 installed
-i have all creative software uninstalled
-my computer recognizes well the software as creative zen vision:M, in control pannel it says that everyting is working properly
PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOK View Post
Bought one - was ready to return it today - but, found the solution that many are looking for!

This is long - but it's descriptive of what you may have experienced (like me) and how to resolve your issues relating to:
*Device Not Connected, *Device Not Recognized, *No Power, *Black Screen, *Won't Turn On, "Wont Power Up", "Won't Charge", "USB doesnt appear to be charging"..."WINDOWS PORTABLE DEVICES", "OTHER DEVICES" etc.

My orig. email to Customer Support:
Just bought, charged 6 hours as advised using the USB (only way to charge it). First, the battery image is not always visible even though the blue light flashes; 2nd indicator only shows a very small charge (even though it's been plugged into a non-hibernating computer for 6 hrs). Have tried powering up without and with the cable attached. Have tried resetting numerous times. Once, I was able to see a pre-loaded song come up but then it went away. I'm a software OLH dev. by profession and usually good w/ gadgets but this has me ready to return it tomorrow if I don't get some help on what needs to be performed to make it work.

What is the exact sequence for 'normal' operation?
I've seen varying steps throughout this site and other help sites; none seem to work.
Example: 1]Charge 6 hrs, 2]unplug cable? (then) push power on button? or....2]Attempt powering on while still plugged in?
*what should be the result when you slide the power on? (I'm seeing black screen).

*Can't push the reset button with sharp object while large USB piece is in place (however, one set of instructions said: plug in USB then, while plugged in - push the reset (impossible).

One thing I notice (while UNplugged from usb) when I slide the power button and hold it, the blue indicator light flashes 5 times then stops. Upon release, no response.

*After attempting reset; no response on screen or with indicator light. Tried quick and also push/hold for 5 seconds release; nothing.

*Tried sliding power button again after non-responsive reset and again; nothing other than the indicator light flashes as I'm attempting power on slide.

Bought Daughter a video iPod, husband a Sansa, now trying Zen for me but no luck.

Please help; don't want to return it - but don't have another 48 hours to blow on trouble-shooting. Plan to return tomorrow after work if no luck.

Update: (got email back, but was not enough to resolve).
Finally realized I had 90 days of free support so I phoned just before packing it up. Phone customer support 1-405-742-6622.....VERY HELPFUL!

Here's the process from my experience:
1. Insert cd - load software.
2. Once complete, plug in Zen device. Verify that it's being recognized.
....*This is key!....because if it's not being recognized, your device will have the blue blinking light (as if it's charging) but will never charge!
3. My problem: I opened MY COMPUTER and could see the Zen Explorer at the base - but when opened it said:
Device is not connected.
4. Went to Programs > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button and looked for what help desk called: "Portable Devices" or "Other"
( but mine only showed an option called "System Devices" -- which is not the one you want)
5. Looked in the USB area -- but nothing relating to ZEN showed up there either.
6. Tech advised to make sure the laptop was plugged into wall power and that the device was plugged into the laptop (not a hub - or docking station port)....
7. Now, while we were talking -- all of a sudden I heard a beep such as what is heard when a flash drive gets plugged in.
My device mgr list was still open -- so, all of a sudden a big yellow question mark and "Other Devices" appeared with the
ZEN listed under it.

I told the tech that I'd had the device plugged in next to me all day as I worked and throughout the day -- on random occasion, I'd hear that beep sound as if I'd plugged in a flash memory stick -- but hadn't.....

Each time I heard the sound, I'd pause and watch for a bubble to pop up saying that it saw a new device - but nothing.

Also, each time, I'd look at the device for any change in activity -- but nothing.
Also, randomly throughout the day I'd see the device screen would light up & show "Creative" for just a second then disappear...with all the buttons on the front also lighting up as blue for just a second...then back to black.

8. Resolution! as soon as I saw the big yellow question mark light up within the DEVICE MGR "OTHER" area, I right
clicked on the ZEN > Properties > and clicked on the UPDATE DRIVERS button.

9. The wizard appeared - ready to look to my cd drive --- I put the ZEN install cd back into the drive and clicked NEXT on
the wizard to proceed. The driver was installed successfully.

My ? to him was WHY DIDNT THE DRIVERS INSTALL THE FIRST TIME I did the initial install? He sd: Win XP is supposed to have all the drivers and should always immediately recognize the device upon plug in -- but, depending upon which version of XP you have (with current updates) -- impacts whether you have that driver or not. In my case, I guess it was "not". So, by manually telling it to INSTALL DRIVER it went and manually grabbed a copy off of the cd.

Once I did that, the device was no longer listed in the OTHER area of DEVICE MANAGER...instead the mysterious item called:
"WINDOWS PORTABLE DEVICES" appeared at the bottom of the list with the (now gray iconed ZEN) (no longer yellow question mark).

10. Next, went to START > PROGRAMS > CREATIVE > CREATIVE MEDIA SOURCE - open it (took a few minutes to load) be patient.
once open, under SOURCES (top left window pane) I saw 3 things:
1) PC MUSIC LIBRARY
2) MUSIC STORE
3) MY COMPUTER

(but no ZEN)

11. Simply unplugged the USB cable from the laptop....counted to 5, plugged it back in...and within a few seconds the "CREATIVE ZEN VISION:M" became a "4th" option in that SOURCE list. (listed in the 2nd position alphabetically).

Now, I'm GOOD TO GO and the device screen is lit up and says: DOCKED with a big icon in the middle that you'll find in your user manual.
What a beautful sight. The LONG awaiting outcome.

The tech sd -- give it a bit to juice up and then, you can begin sending music over to it.

Other topics of conversation:

What's the difference in HD and FLASH devices?
HD - just like a PC (has a hard drive with moving parts that can be repaired, replaced, etc.)
-----is larger than the flash MP3s because of those moving parts.
-----must be more careful with it -- like you would with your PC or Laptop -- don't toss it around!
-----biggest advantage is you can store a massive amount of content (30GB, 80GB) whereas, flash MP3s are limited.
-----(if you have 30GB then, all 30 can be used just for music if you wish...or, you can use as much as you want in each of the areas: Photos, recordings, document storage, music, videos (up until you reach the max capacity). (it's NOT restricted to 10 music, 10 video 10 docs)
-----battery (can) be replaced. Based on my research, typical HD re-chargeable battery life is 1 to 1.5 yrs
of service; then, expect replacement.

-----First charge is the most important; I know you're dying to use it out of the box -- but it's in your batteries best interest (longevity) to get a full 6 hour charge before use.
I've had this one plugged in for about an hour and it already shows 50% green (50% complete)....(plugged in via USB).
....so, you might get away with less time....but all documentation says 6 hours to be safe.

My box did not include a wall charger - just USB -- which is fine with me -- I'm always with a computer in hand or near-by - -even if on travel -- in hotels, airports, etc. In today's world, I figure they expected that -- which is probably why the AC/DC charger is optional and separate in most cases.
If you don't travel with a laptop - get a charger.

FLASH MPS - such as iPod, Sansa and the like have a much smaller capacity and no hard drive. If it stops working -- you are done. The entire device must be replaced. Same with battery; can't replace batteries
in today's flash devices noted above.

POPULAR FIND ON THE WEB:
"I thought it must be charging if the blue indicator light is flashing within the on button well."
Nope, that's not the case. Apparently, the way it was designed, it's a combination of: connect via USB (plus) recognition of the device ='s charge capability.

So, in a nutshell:
Make sure you can see your device in device mgr (and) see it within the "CREATIVE MEDIA SOURCE" area to ensure
that you are getting that initial charge.

(the reason why mine was not, was because the driver that my laptop needed was on the disk and had to be manually brought over).

You know what they say about "assuming things"....
Creative should add the driver load to their initial load and have it skip that part if it sees that it's already on the consumer's computer. Instead, it sounds like they assume it's on all XP boxes and don't force the driver install.

This would probably save people a LOT OF HEADACHES and FRUSTRATION - because for me, it's the one tiny thing that kept me from operating --- and was within hours of returning the device to the store.
I'm glad I didnt now.
Funny, I read just this morning: "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" Hos 4:6
Guess that goes with this too.... CREATIVE IS LOSING BUSINESS because CONSUMERS ARENT EQUIPPED with the (extra needed knowledge) to get the device recognized and operational!

Now that it's recognized, I agree with all the positive tech write-ups: it's a beautiful video screen and already has my daughter wanting to "trade me" for her large iPod video device. Guess that's (one) iPod user that's wanting to convert over to Zen!
Yo,
my mp3 started freezing so i had to reset it a few times, and i got tired of it freezing so i reloaded the firmware, unfotunatly, when i downloaded the latest firmware of creative's website, the upgrade button was greyed out when i run it, i tried the mp3 recovery tool, it showed me up the same window with the greyed out button after downloading the latest firmware.
Info:
-my mp3 is now stuck i recovery mode with the old firmware 0.0.22
-i run windows xp professional
-i have no [windows media player 11 installed/i have the wondows media player 10
-i have all creative software uninstalled
-my computer recognizes well the software as creative zen vision:M, in control pannel it says that everyting is working properly
PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Default OOPS!

Hey everyone! I dropped my ZVM, not far from the ground, but still. And now when I plug it in my computer, the ZVM's screen is dark, and the only thing that happens, is that the blue light flashes like every 2 seconds.

Device Manager doesn't see the player, nor does Creative MediaSource. And by the way, I somehow can't install any new WMP either...

What should I do?! I hope it isn't broken or anything.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Default won't keep a charge

I would charge it up for hours on in and would take it off the charger and it would come on then just shut off how come do anybody have an answer to my puzzleness about my.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Lily View Post
I currently have the same issue with my zen sleek photo. I know what to do to fix it but I can not find the necessary file to do it. The file is called fixup.zip and i used to go to http://www.gotzune.com/forums/attach...tachmentid=462 to get it but it's had a message up for awhile saying that the forums are down So if anyone out there in ABi land happens to have this file I would seriously love you forever if you would be so kind as to share and I will do likewise in future!

If you have the file please send it in attachment to my e-mail at boobles27 @ hotmail. com
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanton View Post
for people with media player 10 or 11 issues try this fixup.zip
http://www.delldjsite.com/forums/att...tachmentid=462

its floating around the net..so grab it before it expires.

It's the same website actually because the second one reroutes to the first one I mentioned... but anyways if anyone has this file please please pretty please with cherries on top send it to meee! *cries* I cant load any new songs on my zen because of the not being recognized issue!

Zen itself is fine otherwise and it plays and charges normally. Thank god it does! I had a major issue with it before where it was stuck on a single song and I tried everything to fix it. Finally got it to work by doing the same dang thing like 20 times in a row lol.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Thank You! Just helped me a ton!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Stuck in Recovery, won't power with battery, can't install firmware with AC

Zen Vision:M 30GB (Firmware 1.62.02)
Dell Laptop (XP SP3)
Digital Life Outfitters FM Transmitter (DLO)
PSP AC Adapter

Hello all. first time posting. I've enjoyed reading the suggestions. Wish I read some of them sooner.

I have a 3 year old Zen Vision:M 30GB that has stopped running on battery. It would still work for a while on DLO in the car. At the time I wasn’t sure what the issue was, but eventually it stopped playing on that as well. Got a new battery (Cameron Sino 1700 mAh). Has tried charging it, and maybe the battery does charge and when I plugged it in to the DLO in the car, it did play. But it doesn’t operate when not plugged in to the DLO. When I plug it in to a computer with USB, the screen stays black, but the blue light blinks.

After reading some posts, I uninstalled WMP 11 and installed WMP 10. I uninstalled the Creative software. I also have MediaMonkey. My computer has yet to recognize the Zen when plugged in. There’s no show of it in the Device Manager, though, before the battery died, I had used it on this computer for a few weeks (new Laptop).

I then read that the 1700 batteries don’t seem to work with the firmware I have. Didn’t know how I’d go about backgrading the firmware if I couldn’t get the computer to recognize it. I tried Clean up and Reboot. I then tried to Reinstall the Firmware, which I wish I knew how that would have worked out and now wish I hadn’t done. I hoped that I could unplug from the DLO and in to the Laptop quick enough to install the Firmware, but it wouldn’t stay on long enough. So now my Zen has no firmware and is stuck in the Recovery Mode. I tried using the MP3 Recovery Tool. It doesn’t recognize it. Also isn’t recognized in Device Manager.

I’ve seen screen warnings for “Low Battery” & “Firmware Problem” …… obviously.

I bought a PSP AC adapter and have tried charging the new battery as well as the original battery.

The way I see it, my batteries won’t hold the charge and power up unless plugged in to either the DLO or PSP. The firmware needs to be rolled back to 1.41.01. But I can’t get the player to power on and recognize with the computer in order to install the firmware.

I’ve been hesitant to Reformat the drive if I can avoid it. I won’t lose any files. Everything is backed up. But 30G is a lot of music to reinstall and sort into playlists.

I’ve considered that I may have to find a broken Zen on ebay to get the battery, so I can power it long enough to install the old firmware, thereby allowing me to use the CS 1700 battery. Which I’m not happy about since I’ve already bought the new battery and the PSP charger.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks