android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Please help...

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a friend's ZVM/30 & I'm afraid I've hit a wall, so I've come back to ABi for some guidence...

Problem: My friend told me that she could no longer get her Zen to connect to Creative media explorer. I told her to check the USB port & if possible get a new cable. She got the new cable but no dice. By then the battery had drained down & she couldn't go any further on her own.

So, I have now taken over the task of figuring out what's going on with her ZVM. The first thing I did was give the battery a full charge with my wall charger, which it did in about three hours. One other note: being that I was able to charge up the battery, all of the existing content seems to play normally

Next, I plugged it into my computer (via dongle/USB) & I get nothing. I plugged in my ZVM/30 to verify the integrity of my computer, dongle & USB cable and as expected, It launched the media explorer & synced.

Next, I plugged the player in question back in and I now see that the power indicator is displaying the fully charged/plugged in status, but media explorer still doesn't see it.

I then followed the steps to go into recovery mode, performed clean up & then a soft reboot, but the same conditions still exist. If necessary, I'm prepared to do a format all, but before doing so I wanted to see if that would help.

I also just downloaded the latest firmware from Creative's site, but obviously, If I can't sync the player, I'm sure that I cannot update the firmware. (I'll just wait until I resolve this connectivity problem before I do the firmware thing)

BTW, the player is still within the 12 month period, so I can request an RMA & have Creative deal with the problem if it's beyond the scope of what I can do from home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve J.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM

thanks alot this help me out alot!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:50 PM

i tired all of that up to the point where when i try to update the drivers. I tried it countless times and it still doesn't work. It says that a problem has occured and stuff like that...it worked b4 but i installed WMP11 but i rolled back...and that didnt fix anything.

PLZ HELP..im soooo desperate to add my new songs and videos =[

Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 PM

you also have to install that play for sure plugin for creative media source to get it recognized.
its a mtp device. if winamp sees it..then it means your computer knows about it. somehow with windows mediaplayer10 or 11 your computer wont find it unless you install a fixup little fix for windows.

i think the battery is lithium ion..no memory. you can charge and discharge however much you want. the problem with li-ion is that if you have a very low charge and you turn it on too many times..your player might explode. the battery must always have some little charge left or it goes unstable. so plz correct that 6 hours thingy. you dont have to wait that long. when it says 100% take it off..and use it

Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjulty View Post
Please help...

I'm attempting to troubleshoot a friend's ZVM/30 & I'm afraid I've hit a wall, so I've come back to ABi for some guidence...

Problem: My friend told me that she could no longer get her Zen to connect to Creative media explorer. I told her to check the USB port & if possible get a new cable. She got the new cable but no dice. By then the battery had drained down & she couldn't go any further on her own.

So, I have now taken over the task of figuring out what's going on with her ZVM. The first thing I did was give the battery a full charge with my wall charger, which it did in about three hours. One other note: being that I was able to charge up the battery, all of the existing content seems to play normally

Next, I plugged it into my computer (via dongle/USB) & I get nothing. I plugged in my ZVM/30 to verify the integrity of my computer, dongle & USB cable and as expected, It launched the media explorer & synced.

Next, I plugged the player in question back in and I now see that the power indicator is displaying the fully charged/plugged in status, but media explorer still doesn't see it.

I then followed the steps to go into recovery mode, performed clean up & then a soft reboot, but the same conditions still exist. If necessary, I'm prepared to do a format all, but before doing so I wanted to see if that would help.

I also just downloaded the latest firmware from Creative's site, but obviously, If I can't sync the player, I'm sure that I cannot update the firmware. (I'll just wait until I resolve this connectivity problem before I do the firmware thing)

BTW, the player is still within the 12 month period, so I can request an RMA & have Creative deal with the problem if it's beyond the scope of what I can do from home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve J.
try different ports. try updating the player. update will try to find the player..you dont need any drivers. windows has to see it thats it. when you do an update it will not erase any data. format erases the data but not the firmware. bc the firmware is 2 part..1 bios like tihngy..and what you see is a os that runs off the hardware. so try updating the player. see what happens. you wont loose anything. also if the update is broken you can still update it with a program called creative recovery tool. its an anti-bricking software. i think.

try also installing that fixup and the play for sure update. i dunno if this helps. some people might know better.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelskiiwashere View Post
i tired all of that up to the point where when i try to update the drivers. I tried it countless times and it still doesn't work. It says that a problem has occured and stuff like that...it worked b4 but i installed WMP11 but i rolled back...and that didnt fix anything.

PLZ HELP..im soooo desperate to add my new songs and videos =[
install that fixup from creative. you have to find it. it's a file called fixup.zip

wmp11 has issues and blocks your windows from seeing zvm ;(

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM

for people with media player 10 or 11 issues try this fixup.zip
http://www.delldjsite.com/forums/att...tachmentid=462

its floating around the net..so grab it before it expires.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 PM

haven't been on here in awhile so before I forget to come back around here for another few months, let me rehash this as I needed it myself as I am installing a new Operating System and my Zen didn't work anymore once I was all said and done. Go figure Also, I was asked about how I got mine working and now that I've done it the same way twice (this second time it took me all of 5 minutes once I remembered what it was I did the first time).

First off - if you have everything installed that came w/the player, do the whole "control panel, device manager, uninstall, leave it plugged in" but before re-booting I also did the following (put your Zen cd in the drive as well). I'm not sure if all this helps but I did it the first time and again this time, so it obviously didn't hurt anything.

Second - start, run, type 'regedit', select hkey current config (very last one), system, enum, on usb - right click, select 'properties'

at this point you have to go into 'advanced' and remove the duplicate that says "not inherited" and also un-check the option below the window (there are 2 of them, one is checked, one is un-checked) they BOTH need to be unchecked.

then click 'apply'. which will take you to the first menu (where you selected advanced) here you want to check both boxes in the "allow" column and click 'apply' again.

Now do your re-boot. When your system starts up everything should go through nice and smoothly and the docking insignia should appear on your screen.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 AM

I'm new here and I have just recently received a ZVM which I won @ eBay.
I was very excited and everything and was hoping to start transferring my mp3 collection to the player right away.

I plugged in the usb cable to the device, and connected it to my USB2.0 port and all I got is the blinking blue led light where the hold and power button is located.

No response from the player whatsoever.
I have googled a few hours for a solution but nothing seems to work.

For a period of time the led blinking stopped but then resumed after a few minutes (usb connected).

NOTE: The LED is blinking *all the time* even when the player isn't connected to anything.

I have installed the software from the Creative site and the sync manager nor windows detect the device. I have tried restarting the PC, plugging an ac adapter which I had at home (put on 4.5V) and it didn't charge.

Is there anything else I can try before returning the player and demanding a refund?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Hello, DXT. Welcome to ABi.

Have you read the FAQ? The thread below describes charging and first use thoroughly:

[ First Use, Charging, and other Charging Issues ]

I hope it may help you.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM

I have changed the - to + in my home AC adapter and now when it is plugged with the player the blue led is constant, does not blink.
I have also seen the buttons lit up and a "Creative" logo appear on the screen for a moment. But now it shows still black screen and blue constant led.

I've installed WMP11. Player still not recognized by windows.

I'll probably wait a few hours and try again.
But what should be my next step if it doesn't work?

Is my unit charging right now? (plugged in ac power and blue led constant).

Update: I have managed to see the main menu and also to get to the recovery screen but not actually do anything from there (I can only scroll not select, how to I select anything in this device anyway?) and it sill shows LOW BATTERY even after about 6 hours of charging the unit. WinXP still won't recognize it.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Hello,

You select items in the menu by tapping on the center of the touchpad. As for the battery, try letting it plugged to the AC adapter overnight. Maybe you got a unit with a completely depleted battery.

By the way, is your unit brand new, used or a refurbished one?

Keep us posted.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM

It is used.

I have managed to access the menu and now some battery charge is being shown green.

Windows still doesn't recognize it.
What should I try to do next?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Glad to know that the battery is charging.

I recommend that you read this thread from the first post. There are lots of information on what you should do to get the player to work with Windows. Some things you can try easily: trying another USB port and another USB cable.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Should I try to reload the firmware via the recovery screen?
Winxp doesn't recognize my player so it will make my player obsolete?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXT View Post
Should I try to reload the firmware via the recovery screen?
Winxp doesn't recognize my player so it will make my player obsolete?
Lets check the easy stuff first: check the USB cable (it might be simply a defective USB cable); try using another USB port on your PC; if you have access to another computer (a friend's or your computer at the job), try plugging the player into it.

Some questions:
  1. Is your PC a laptop or desktop?
  2. Does your Windows XP Pro have SP2 installed?
  3. Are you using some USB hub?
  4. Do the USB ports work with other devices?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 AM

Hi, i just got my ZEN, however, i have read all the posts and i can see that everybody had their computer in a time or another recognized the ZEN, however in my case, i have 3 computer at home plus a laptop, three with XP and one with Vista and non of them even make a sound about a new device in the computers. I have tryed all the USB ports in the computers and nothing happens. The ZEN is dead!

I am starting to give up and return the device to Amazon. I also tryed to get some contanct via email with Creative Labs and i cannot finish the questionare because it says that i have an invalid email (and i put all the emails i have)...i really don΄t know what to do!.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Check the cable

Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM

I have tryed all USB ports, from behind of the computers and the ones on the front...nothing! Any other ideas?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Very Confused

OK this is what happened I came home from school one day and decided to give my zvm a little charge and i plugged it up and left for about an hour, came back and noticed the zvm screen was blank so i picked it up and its was very hot...tried turning it on but no response all i get is the blue flash from the top of the player..it doesnt even get recognized by the computer. I wanted to know is my battery fried? And if so one can i do to fix it?