android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I can't help but believe it may have been responsible for your second ZVM's failure to connect.

Yeah, it is definitely possible. However, with the 550mA rating you would think it could take it fine since it is made to handle 500mA from the USB bus. I know the ZVM is pretty damn power sensitive when charging through the USB port, but 50mA more (assuming there was nothing wrong with the RAZR charger).... that's hypersensitive. ....but yes, better to be safe then sorry.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Hi im George from Costa Rica.

Sorry for my bad english

My solution final, was plug my zen m in the usb ports of back computer

I dont know what is changing in my pc or windows, but front ports not work, computer is core duo, windows xp service pack 3, with WMP 11.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Hmm.

I find myself with a similar problem, i'll provide as much info as i can.

But first a story.

It all started when i was at work, i'd just finished listening to an album on my iPod. I went to play another one, and it just...stopped working. After about a day and a half of troubleshooting i come to the conclusion that its completely dead for no reason. With the vengeful thought of "screw Jobs and his crappy crapPods" i set out to find a replacement. In the HMV sale (i'm in the UK) i managed to fiind myself a beautiful Zen Vision M 30gb marked down from 169.99 to 99.99. BARGAIN.

Now for the problems.

I've had it about a week now. It all installed just fine and has been playing perfectly (although i did have to charge it for about 4 hours before it would even turn on). Its a beautiful little player, and my ONLY gripe about it was the low volume, which i felt lacked quite a bit compared to my iCrap (even with the EQ all cranked up high). Initially i tried to batch normalize and up the volume levels with external software (lol at me) before deciding to google it and see if anyone had similar volume problems.

So i discovered about the EU volume limiter (because what, our weak european ears can't handle it? haha), and the ability to replace EU firmware with an american firmware.

So i read up on it, and uninstalled every piece of Creative software on my computer, downloaded new firmware, then went into recovery mode and hit reload firmware. It deleted just fine.

Then i connect my USB block thing to my player and "Docked" comes up on the screen, and the battery indicator even flashes to let me know its fully charged. I run the firmware upgrade and...you guessed it! "Your player is not connected".

Any specific information that will help my firmwareless zen?

Speaking of information, here's all i can think which will help any of you fine experts!

Windows XP SP2
Media Player 11
Erased firmware version - 1.40.02e
Firmware i'm trying to install - ZENVisionM_30GB_PCFW_L21_1_62_02.exe
Player shows up just fine in Device Manager->Portable Devices

Incidentally i tried rolling back MP11 to MP10, but it went to MP9 instead. I downloaded the executable for MP10 but it wouldn't install, so i reinstalled MP11.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello George from Costa Rica. Welcome!

Quote:
My solution final, was plug my zen m in the usb ports of back computer
Yeah, the ports on the back of the computer (the ones that are integrated into the system board) are usually the best ones to use since they can't be wired incorrectly and are usually enabled.

Quote:
but front ports not work
This is actually pretty common. They may just not be connected. There are wires that run from the ports to the connections on the system board and many times they just aren't connected.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Mr. Allan. Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Allan View Post
Any specific information that will help my firmwareless zen?
Try reinstalling the driver:

1. With the Zen connected, click Start, (Settings), Control Panel, System, Hardware, and then Device Manager.
2. Highlight the MTP player listing, and press the Delete key on your keyboard, which will uninstall the Zen's driver.
3. (Keep Device Manager open) Disconnect the Zen, wait a minute, then plug it back in. Device Manager should refresh and Windows will re-install the driver.
4. Then check to see if it gets detected correctly by the software.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 PM

HA! Finally got it working!

Figured out the problem. It seems to be something with the MP11 Runtime files. First time i uninstalled MP11 i didn't realise i had Runtime files or that i had to get rid of them too, which is why MP10 wouldn't install.

Uninstalled MP11 and its Runtime files, installed MP10 and it started working perfectly afterwards! Like a magic fix!

I can finally breathe a sigh of relief; not only is the bricking/formatting panic over, i can FINALLY say it loud and proud! There is NOTHING better about iPods than there is ZVMs!

Thanks for the help BobbyRS, i pieced together what i was doing wrong from your various posts around the board. Kudos go to you!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
HA! Finally got it working!
Nice job!

Quote:
Figured out the problem. It seems to be something with the MP11 Runtime files.
Those damn runtime files.

Quote:
Thanks for the help BobbyRS, i pieced together what i was doing wrong from your various posts around the board. Kudos go to you!
Thank you sir!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Hey guys I'm in DESPERATE need of help! My ZVM isn't being detected by windows WHATSOEVER. I'm running XP with SP2. I've installed both WMP 10 and 11, reinstalled the chipset drivers, upgraded my BIOS, installed MS Framework 3.0, reinstalled the creative software (the one that came on the CD that was included with the player), tried running the fixup.bat, tried different USB cables, tried different USB ports, and tried cleaning up / reformatting the player and NOTHING works. Windows doesn't see it at all. However, when I connect the USB cord it does charge. It's fully charged so power shouldn't be an issue. Help would GREATLY be appreciated!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried a different computer?

This will help us determine where the problem is.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you say Windows doesn't see it, what does Device Manger report on the driver?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 PM

I have tried it on another XP computer and it doesn't detect anything. The device manager doesn't show any unknown devices or any with a '?' next to it. Here's a SS of my hardware management:

This is also with 'Show hidden objections' selected.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With Device Manager open, do you get any kind of activity from Device Manager when you plug or unplug the ZVM? Any other notifications like an audible alert or popup message about it being connected? Can you try it on another computer?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM

Nope. No popup notifications or anything. I tried it (again) on another computer and same story. I even try to scan for any hardware changes and nothing. I even tried making a partition on the ZVM for 1 gb and 512 mb (the removable storage feature) and nothing still. The ZEN knows its plugged into something (the battery icon changes to the plugged in icon) but nothing happens on the PC.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you verified that the USB ports work with other devices? It sounds like the issue is with the ZVM and not the computer. Does it show as docked on the screen when plugged in? It may be a long shot, but try booting the ZVM into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup to make sure the ZVM's file system is ok. Also, while in Recovery Mode, try connecting it to the computer to see if you then get a response in Device Manager.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 PM

My other USB devices work just fine. It does not show docked on the creative zen while plugged in. Even while in recovery mode nothing happens. Bleh =[

Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's like the USB Descriptor is not communicating with the USB Host. Since the USB descriptor information is stored within the ROM on the mainboard, you may have a corrupt ROM chip. Unfortunately, to repair this, a replacement mainboard would be needed.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 PM

BLah! Thanks for your help at least bro. POS zen...

Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Sorry I couldn't of been more help. Maybe consider checking EBay for an as-is (cracked screen or so) ZVM and do a mainboard swap. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's one other possibility: The dongle. If there's a broken pin inside the dongle, or even on the data port itself, then it would be possible to charge the ZVM and still not register itself to the computer because the data path is broken.

Do you have access to another dongle?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Very possible. Try pulling out the dongle and inspecting the pinout. Pay attention to the first 5 pins which are for the USB. Pins 2 and 3 are the two data pins.

While you're at it, make sure that there is nothing in the dongle port of the ZVM that could be in the way.

Zen FAQ