android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung K3 / K5

Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Wishlist of updates to add next firmware

When I first purchased my Samsung k5 with firmware ver. 1.03 loaded, I have been very happy with its navigation of artist, tracks, album and genre. Never managed to get the playlist working though, because Samsung Media Studio would never recognise the player, nor would it upload any songs onto the k5. However, I can sync and upload songs via Windows Media Player 11, but can't create the playlist.

Since then I thought that upgrading to a higher firmware would improve the user interface and improve compatibility between different OS - which in a way is great now, because Samsung Media Studio and Windows XP now recognises the player as a removable USB memory device and I can transfer songs, but there is a catch. Songs transfer across are not sorted by artist, but rather in filename order.

Samsung seemed to have done a backflip and destroyed their so called "friendly easy to user interface". Instead they have replaced with a file browser. Its such a nightmare, if you had to rely on a playlist to sort out your tracks. I don't think you can even have one song appearing in more then one playlist. How is Samsung expect to compete with other leading MP3 players on the market, eg. iPod and Creative Zen, if they can't create user interface designed specifically for music navigation.

Upgrading the firmware is another nightmare too. The unit takes too long to load and often you don't know if the k5 has crashed. I have noticed recently too, that my k5 would freeze up, or the interface screen screws when trying to shift between tracks in playlist.

So far going by whats being said about firmware ver 1.43, they didn't address the problem of their music navigation. I haven't downloaded yet, but my guess is, the File Browser mode is still the only way to navigate.
I guess my real wish with what I want in the next firmware is:
  • To bring back the ver. 1.03 navigation screen
  • Samsung Media Studio to transfer tracks in folder arrangement, ie. Artist > Album > Song. (Hell Windows Media Player and iTunes do it, don't see why Samsung Media Studio couldn't)
  • Retain the Universal USB Media Support driver
  • Support for playlist in Windows Media Player
  • Allow multiple tracks to appear over in multiple playlist
  • A more stable and reliable software update

Last edited by PVTk5; 03-29-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM

You must understand, 1.03 is the latest avaiable worldwide firmware. The Korean K5 first came with 1.05. That's the first firmware available for Korean K5's. If you actually look at the firmware revisions, you'll see that it's 2 completely different development lines. There is actually a more recent firmware for the worldwide version, 1.55. I don't know where exactly to get it thought. I have see it on some K5's at Best Buy. The worldwide firmwares will be 1.XX_WA_JN, and the Korean firmware will be 1.XX_KR. The Korean firmwares have always been UMS whereas the worldwide firmware was MTP and supportd ID3 categorization.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Nacron,
The key to your comment is that we (as customers) must understand (see your first line). The glory of 1960's manufacturer driven market.. ahhh...
PVTk5 was suggesting of what an MP3 player (and yet the k5 is a rather expensive one) should do, looking also others large MP3 players manufacturers been doing.
Key for the ipod's success was not largely because of its sound quality, but rather to its user friendlyness backed up with good marketing and huge accessory partnership.
PVTk5 suggestion was simple; fix the UI, then other problems of k5 will be a minor discrepancies of the player. This priority should be realized by Samsung, unless Samsung's want to retain its position as a niche mp3 manufacturer (hopefully not dead soon).

my 2 cents,

Ferdiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacron View Post
You must understand, 1.03 is the latest avaiable worldwide firmware. The Korean K5 first came with 1.05. That's the first firmware available for Korean K5's. If you actually look at the firmware revisions, you'll see that it's 2 completely different development lines. There is actually a more recent firmware for the worldwide version, 1.55. I don't know where exactly to get it thought. I have see it on some K5's at Best Buy. The worldwide firmwares will be 1.XX_WA_JN, and the Korean firmware will be 1.XX_KR. The Korean firmwares have always been UMS whereas the worldwide firmware was MTP and supportd ID3 categorization.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdiyan View Post
Nacron,
The key to your comment is that we (as customers) must understand (see your first line). The glory of 1960's manufacturer driven market.. ahhh...
PVTk5 was suggesting of what an MP3 player (and yet the k5 is a rather expensive one) should do, looking also others large MP3 players manufacturers been doing.
Key for the ipod's success was not largely because of its sound quality, but rather to its user friendlyness backed up with good marketing and huge accessory partnership.
PVTk5 suggestion was simple; fix the UI, then other problems of k5 will be a minor discrepancies of the player. This priority should be realized by Samsung, unless Samsung's want to retain its position as a niche mp3 manufacturer (hopefully not dead soon).

my 2 cents,

Ferdiyan
I was just saying that he was comparing apples to oranges. He is thinking that 1.03 WA JN -> 1.43 KR is an upgrade but it's not. The WA JN line has not had an upgrade yet. Any new firmware versions on the WA JN line is just bug fixes. That's why it seems that 1.03 WA JN -> 1.43 KR seems like a downgrade. He was suggesting that they bring back the ID3 tag categorization to the 1.43 KR firmware when in actuality, the 1.43 KR firmware did not remove it, it just simply didn't exist in the Korean firmwares. Try flash the 1.05 KR firmware on your K5. That was the first release of the Korean line. There is not ID3 categorization.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacron View Post
I was just saying that he was comparing apples to oranges. He is thinking that 1.03 WA JN -> 1.43 KR is an upgrade but it's not. The WA JN line has not had an upgrade yet. Any new firmware versions on the WA JN line is just bug fixes. That's why it seems that 1.03 WA JN -> 1.43 KR seems like a downgrade. He was suggesting that they bring back the ID3 tag categorization to the 1.43 KR firmware when in actuality, the 1.43 KR firmware did not remove it, it just simply didn't exist in the Korean firmwares. Try flash the 1.05 KR firmware on your K5. That was the first release of the Korean line. There is not ID3 categorization.

My 2 cents.
ID3 categorization is a simple thing to do for a resourceful company as Samsung. And why didn't Samsung implement ID3 categorization ? Is this just another marketing move to not to make the perfect product but rather making customers buy a new model (which promised to cover current model deficiencies)? Maybe no one will ever know.

That's what puzzles most of us, why develop 2 lines of firmware ?
From cost standpoint, wouldn't it be cheaper to develop 1 firmware for all rather than having 2 lines with different capabilities.
BTW, I'm using 1.43 KR and will never go back to 1.05 which the was the original firmware. Custom EQ rocks !

Anyhow, Samsung if you're listening to us, please listen to your customers and market voice develop the better firmware for this excellent mp3 player.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM

I think it has something to do with the categorization based on hangul (korean language) It probably would bloat the firmware too much so they decided to just take it out of the intial release.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
ABI Founder

Samsung watches this forum and has gotten a lot of great information from the users here. If you would like to create some polls PM a mod and we can get that going. If you continue to demonstrate your proficiency and knowlege of the samsung players by creating great content in this forum... we can make you a mod.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM

It is my understanding that there are technical/legal/licensing issues surrounding ogg vorbis support and WMA DRM on the same device. I believe that's why Samsung doesn't release any players with both of these features in the US.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 PM

Well I do hope Samsung has read my forum post and take into consideration updates that needs to be done to software for the next firmware.

I come from a IT background and I know what makes a good and bad product, which is why I'm a bit picky with the device and its usablity.

I'm glad my topic has raised an eyebrow with our forum members, lets hope Samsung will take notice

Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbass View Post
It is my understanding that there are technical/legal/licensing issues surrounding ogg vorbis support and WMA DRM on the same device. I believe that's why Samsung doesn't release any players with both of these features in the US.

I will definitely go with ogg support. As far as I'm concern WMA DRM is a stupid concept and will die soon enough.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:36 AM

AAC support would be nice...

User selected color schemes for the K5 would be really nice.. I have grown tired of the blue graphical EQ... bitrate display would be great too...

My greatest wishes would be for support of album artwork and on-device song deletion...

I hope Samsung continues this line in an updated form.. removable speakers, larger display.. higher capacity memory, line-out and voice recording. I wouldn't even mind the player in a larger size if the speakers were enlarged and video was added.. The basic design of the K5 IMO is tremendous and improved features would be a welcomed addition..

Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 PM

i want the radio to still work when you go back to the main menu..because it stops right when you exit..sometimes i want to look at pictures or change settings

Old 05-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi I'm new here and I bought a K5 a Week ago could some one please put the update histori on the firmwares? I have the 1.05 KR and I'm a little lose whit which one is the newer and the best for me.

This forums rocks!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

BAss enhace+3d sound like the K3!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris_irc View Post
BAss enhace+3d sound like the K3!!!!
Can't you do that with the new 1.43 KR firmware (with the custom EQ) ?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 PM

I can but i'll really liked that it has the same features as the K3 firmware, and the hour to apear some were in the UI while playing

Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM

I've had my unit for just over 24 hours, and I've come across DISTURBING LACK OF FEATURES that seems to be tied to programming. My version is 1.58 WA JN

Here's what's needed immediately for this great hardware to stop suffering from poor programming:
  • Ability to delete manage files/playlists on the device.
  • Ability to listen to music while charging on a computer.
  • The ability to control the duration of the keypad lighting separately
  • A clock always displayed (digital) and an option to display the clock (analog) as a screen saver continually (as in overnight) WITHOUT the keys being lit and the unit on otherwise.
  • Alternately, at the top level of menu add CLOCK.
  • Add a date display to the clock display.
  • Better usage of the display lines. Put two lines of info under the EQ display instead of one line scrolling.
  • Wake to music instead of corny ringtones.
  • Album Art
AND ONE PROBLEM TO FIX:
  • Improper caching of Artists.
For instance, here's a portion of my artist list. The unit randomly breaks them up as if they are different artists. I've even renamed TAGS in SMS/WMP11 to no benefit.

Collective Soul
Counting Crows
DAUGHTRY
Damn Yankees
DAUGHTRY
Damn Yankees
DAUGHTRY
Damn Yankees
DAUGHTRY
Damn Yankees
David Byrne

It also does the exact same thing to "REO Speedwagon" and "Red Hot Chili Peppers".

I believe it has something to do with Artists that contain capital letters and the same first two letters.

EDIT: I've submitted a service request for the playlist problem.

Meanwhile, I found if I rename DAUGHTRY to Daughtry2 and then back to Daughtry in the tags, I could get rid of the uppercase that comes automatically (changing directly to lowercase doesn't stick) and then the multiple Artist entries are gone. For REO Speedwagon, I renamed it to R.E.O. Speedwagon as the workaround.

Last edited by EngrPaul; 05-31-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Update:

They said the only firmware upgrade avaialble is 1.03. Anything newer might have been pulled due to quality issues.

He said I could try the firmware from the website, or manipulate the ID tags (like I already did) to workaround the problem.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM

change to 1.43KR is UMS and it has more features than MTP versions, check the how to upgrade to 143 firmware to see the upgrades it has

Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Yep.. I've been very pleased with the 1.43KR firmware also... though we could always wish for more features ;-)