android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Wishlist of updates to add next firmware

When I first purchased my Samsung k5 with firmware ver. 1.03 loaded, I have been very happy with its navigation of artist, tracks, album and genre. Never managed to get the playlist working though, because Samsung Media Studio would never recognise the player, nor would it upload any songs onto the k5. However, I can sync and upload songs via Windows Media Player 11, but can't create the playlist.

Since then I thought that upgrading to a higher firmware would improve the user interface and improve compatibility between different OS - which in a way is great now, because Samsung Media Studio and Windows XP now recognises the player as a removable USB memory device and I can transfer songs, but there is a catch. Songs transfer across are not sorted by artist, but rather in filename order.

Samsung seemed to have done a backflip and destroyed their so called "friendly easy to user interface". Instead they have replaced with a file browser. Its such a nightmare, if you had to rely on a playlist to sort out your tracks. I don't think you can even have one song appearing in more then one playlist. How is Samsung expect to compete with other leading MP3 players on the market, eg. iPod and Creative Zen, if they can't create user interface designed specifically for music navigation.

Upgrading the firmware is another nightmare too. The unit takes too long to load and often you don't know if the k5 has crashed. I have noticed recently too, that my k5 would freeze up, or the interface screen screws when trying to shift between tracks in playlist.

So far going by whats being said about firmware ver 1.43, they didn't address the problem of their music navigation. I haven't downloaded yet, but my guess is, the File Browser mode is still the only way to navigate.
I guess my real wish with what I want in the next firmware is:
  • To bring back the ver. 1.03 navigation screen
  • Samsung Media Studio to transfer tracks in folder arrangement, ie. Artist > Album > Song. (Hell Windows Media Player and iTunes do it, don't see why Samsung Media Studio couldn't)
  • Retain the Universal USB Media Support driver
  • Support for playlist in Windows Media Player
  • Allow multiple tracks to appear over in multiple playlist
  • A more stable and reliable software update

Last edited by PVTk5; 03-29-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]