android
Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Please, Please, Help. Mtp Device Error.

Hi, Guys.
I really need your help.
I just bought a zen vision :M and can not use it. When I connect it to the computer, I get the found new hardware message. When I go to install it, after a little while I get this:
"Can not install this hardware. There was a problem installing this Hardware.
MTP Device.
An error occured during the installation of the service.
The specified servicedoes not exist as an installed service."

I have called the Creative three times. First time they told me to do a "clean boot". I did it, but nothing changed.
The second time they told me to make sure that all drivers are updated, and to no avail.
The third time they told me to contact my computer manufacturer(Dell).
I e-mailed them, since my warranty is over. They sent me an article on Microsoft Visio, which I don't even have.
So, now I'm lost and pissed off. I bought two zen vision :m (one for me and one for misses)and I can't use them. Please, please, help me. I have tried to uninstall all of the creative software and hardware and then reinstalled it again, it did not help.
I have windows Xp sp2. Dell dimension 4550. I have a windows media player 11.
Eagerly, awaiting your response.
Sincerely,
Alex.

Last edited by wolfmannyc; 04-05-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the only advice i would have is to remove and reinstall the driver (while its connected) from the device manager but it seems you have already done that.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:49 AM

Do check this thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=10960

It sounds like a similar thing.

Cliffs: Tell us if you see any ZEN items in device manager.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM

The most recent and fully patched version of WMP 11 has MTP drivers in it. Perhaps you could upgrade, if you haven't already

Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM

I have the wmp 11 installed. When I do go device manager, it shows a creative zen vision :m with a yellow exclamation point. I have tried to install the driver manually by right clicking it, but then I get the same message.I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the windows media player but nothing has changed. Any suggestions?
Once again, thank you for your help.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Is the device fully charged?
I would unplug the zvm, restart your pc, then try plugging it in again on another usb port, then let it charge for a while.
I had exactly the same problem.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 PM

the zen vision is fully charged. I have tried all of my usb ports, but that did not work. I have uninstalled all of the drivers and reinstalled them again. That did not work as well. Dell has refused to help me , unless I'll go through their paid service. You guys are my last hope. Also, could anybody suggest a good technical support service that is not to expensive?
Thank You.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:18 AM

My only other guess is that service pack 2 is on, but I can't see how you could have wmp11 without sp2.

My only suggestions:
http://193.95.171.84/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WE...544):obj(26552)

and
http://193.95.171.84/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WE...u.creative.com

Also check on another computer; since you have two players it sounds like your computer is at fault.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:51 AM

You said you have two players, and both of them are causing this same error on your computer? My first thought: something's wrong with your computer.

Try another computer, or even two. Don't need to install the Creative software, just plug in the player in the USB port and leave it alone and let the computer go through the process of recognizing it, and it should start charging. Make sure the computer is XP SP2, and having WMP11 wouldn't hurt.

Let us know what happens.

PS, sorry to hear about your Dell support. I've heard a lot of bad things about them in the past few years. I could tell you horror stories about HP/Compaq as well. If you ever have computer problems, and can't get Dell to help, you might try http://www.techguy.org/.
Creative ZVM 30GB #1 electrocuted
Creative ZVM 30GB #2
SanDisk Sansa m240 1GB
Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 AM

Default MTP service error for Zen Vision M

I just figured out this "service not installed" error that I was getting when I plugged in my 30Gb Vision M. Windows Media player had failed to install properly and the MTP service is somehow a part of WMP. If you are having the same issue reinstall WMP (or whatever other media player software) you may have installed and that may fix the problerm

Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WinXP does not reach MTP compliancy until at least WMP10 or WMP11 is installed. With Vista, MTP is natively supported.

That exclamation mark next to the entry in Device Manager means that the player is getting recognized correctly, it is just that Windows is having problems loading the driver for it. If you double click on the entry, what does it say under device status for the reason for the error? It may just be something keeping the driver from loading like another service, software, or lack of driver file. You can try to go about installing the driver manual in a few ways:

To verify that the MTP driver is being used:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices and select the Details Tab.
2. In the "Property" drop down box select "Inf Name" in. It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices.
2. Select the Driver Tab and then select the Update Driver box.
3. Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver for the Zen.
6. Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Zen under Portable Devices as Creative Zen with no errors.

To force the Zen to use the MTP driver when connected and asked for drivers:

1. With the Zen connected, uninstall the Zen listing within Device Manager.

2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.

3. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.

4. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.

5. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.

It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.

If you can't install the driver when it is first detected or update it in device manager without an error code, try it this way:

1. With the Zen connected, right clicking on the driver when it shows in Device Manager and select Uninstall.
2. Then try and add the Zen as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
4. If you ever get prompted with anything saying that the device may not work properly or the driver isn't for that device, go through with it anyway.

If you are still having problems with getting the driver to work, then I would question whether or not MTP is installed correctly on your computer. You may want to download and reinstall WMP11 in order to get MTP working again.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Zen FAQ