android
Old 07-25-2006, 03:10 PM

dfkt, I see that you use EAC as well. I had a registry crash awhile back and lost all of my settings for EAC and LAME. If you use LAME, can you tell me what command line options you use? It took me weeks to find some good setting last time; time that I simply do not have anymore.

Edit: also, why don't you use C2? It is a must for a damaged disc (I popped in a completely unreadable disc in mine and when it finished ripping a day and a half later it only skipped twice), does it affect the quality or anything when ripping an undamaged disc?

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin on liberty. This is in answer to the response taken to the recent terror plot.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Camron, my LAME settings are right there in my sig.
-V 2 --vbr-new is really perfect for my needs. The new algorithms of LAME 3.97b2 sound better, are faster and make smaller files than the old ones.

Enabling C2 is bad for extracting music. It overrides EACs already ultra-secure settings. When C2 is enabled on the CD-drive, EAC doesn't know if it gets feed already faulty sectors.

You can read on the EAC website (and some other places) that most CD-drives have a faulty C2 implementation (including even Plextor, IIRC), and that the error correction doesn't work perfectly. It's more secure letting EAC correct the errors than the drives themselves.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:50 AM

Hahaha, I didn't even see that you included the LAME settings in there. Yeah, my version of LAME is 3.96.1, I'll have to get 3.97 in about.....well, now.

I didn't know that about the C2, my old desktop drive (from 1998, still works great) still seemed to do a superlative job on my completely unreadable disc. ::shrugs:: But I'll go ahead and disable it with my laptop.

So -V 2 --vbr-new... Sounds similar to what I had before. Are those the only options you use? I vaguely remember a setting for making it stay right around 256, but still using VBR. And wait a freaking minute.... I just found the HTML documents that explain every switch in the program.... Why didn't I see this before....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin on liberty. This is in answer to the response taken to the recent terror plot.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:59 AM

Do you use the -q switch? It says q 5 is default but only provides "reasonable" quality whereas q 2 (or -h) is recommended. q 1 and 0 are pretty much useless as they "may not produce significantly higher quality".

Edit: what does offset adjustment do? I've never really bothered with any of those settings.

And now I remember that I used the switch "--alt-preset extreme" or something like that when encoding, with a few other tweaks that I wish I could remember.

Any ETA on when EAC v1 will be developed? They've gone through so many testing phases, it's insane.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron
Do you use the -q switch? It says q 5 is default but only provides "reasonable" quality whereas q 2 (or -h) is recommended. q 1 and 0 are pretty much useless as they "may not produce significantly higher quality".
"-q"? Never used that.. sounds more like an OGG/MPC switch than LAME?

Quote:
Edit: what does offset adjustment do? I've never really bothered with any of those settings.
The offset corrects how the CD drive reads the bits: You can get the right one for your drive from http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm - simply enter it in EAC's drive options.

Quote:
And now I remember that I used the switch "--alt-preset extreme" or something like that when encoding, with a few other tweaks that I wish I could remember.
The old --alt-preset extreme would be the same as -V 0 in LAME 3.97b2. You might want to go for --alt-preset fast extreme which is the same as -V 0 --vbr-new. Don't be afraid, the "fast" switch doesn't sacrifice quality. It simply indicates the use of the new algorithms.

Quote:
Any ETA on when EAC v1 will be developed? They've gone through so many testing phases, it's insane.
I dunno, I'm pretty happy with the betas.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM

I'll quote from the HTML file I found in the LAME zip.
Quote:
-q 0..9 algorithm quality selection
Bitrate is of course the main influence on quality. The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality. But for a given bitrate, we have a choice of algorithms to determine the best scalefactors and Huffman encoding (noise shaping).

-q 0: use slowest & best possible version of all algorithms. -q 0 and -q 1 are slow and may not produce significantly higher quality.

-q 2: recommended. Same as -h.

-q 5: default value. Good speed, reasonable quality.

-q 7: same as -f. Very fast, ok quality. (psycho acoustics are used for pre-echo & M/S, but no noise shaping is done.

-q 9: disables almost all algorithms including psy-model. poor quality.
On another note.... Does your system emit an extremely loud beep from system speaker when the encoding is completed? It is highly annoying and there is no way to turn the speaker off, at the same time I have not discovered an option to disable the beep itself.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, now I get it, the "-q" stuff... I don't tinker with that, the "-V" presets give better quality for any normal purpose, they're finetuned at sourcecode-level, tunings the enduser cannot achieve with any switches.

I only use my own switches when making mono-files, or up/downsampling to 44.1kHz, and other special-purpose areas.

No, my computers do not beep at all. I disabled the system speaker in my laptop, and didn't even install one in my desktop. System sounds are extremely annoying, IMO. The only sounds my computers make come from Winamp... You can turn off the speaker in the Windows volume control, you just have to make the slider for it visible in the options.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 PM

I see... It wouldn't make it any worse to go ahead and use the -q switch with the -V, I take it? I don't know if it is just my computer (1GB DDR2 533, dual core centrino, yeah yeah, I know centrino sucks, but they have better battery life) or the fact that I am allowing EAC to use 4 simultaneous external compressor threads but I tested out "-V0 -q0 --replaygain-accurate --clipdetect --verbose --athtype2" and a 5 minute song only took about 40 seconds to compress.... I was amazed. My old PII was only about 1.5xrealtime and the PIII was even slower (maybe the PII's MMX architecture actually *was* worth a crap).

The ath switch forces ATH type 2 (type 0 is inaccurate, and 1 overcorrects. 2 is based on real data and is the most accurate). Basically the ATH switch cuts off frequencies above and below the "Absolute Threshold of Hearing" for humans.

And I was able to mute the system speaker, thanks for telling me about the option in Volume Control.

I've never really understood exactly what the 44.1kHz sampling rate is for. I know it means that a sample is taken 44,100 times per second and is the standard, but why wouldn't a higher or lower rate be used? Seems like the ear isn't necessarily perfectly tuned that that specific sampling rate. Could be more or less sensitive.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's no good using the -V presets together with the -q and --athtype switches. As I said, the -V's are extremely optimized - they deliver better quality than one could achieve with switches. You can read more about it here: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Quote:
LAME 3.97 features more streamlined command line options, and it's recommended to stick to one of the values described in the text or shown in the tables above. You don't need to worry anymore about quality, settings, arcane combinations of switches, or presets.
You would get better results with a simple -V 0 --vbr-new, than with -V0 -q0 (...) --athtype2.

Quote:
The ""--vbr-new"" switch enables the new VBR mode. Lame will encode much faster than the old/default VBR mode. In terms of quality, --vbr-new appears to be better than the old model, [...] --vbr-new is currently recommended over the default VBR mode due to both the speed and quality increases afforded by the new algorithm.
Of course using Replaygain, ID3 tag or similar switches that don't affect sound processing should be ok.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM

When using VBR, I take it that the using a higher minimum bitrate merely amounts to an inefficient use of space? I base that on the fact that if it didn't need to use, say 192, then it would be a waste to force it to use 192, right?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know if I understand your question. The VBR presets are usually expressed through a center-bitrate, you can't define a minimum or maximum.

CBR is a waste of space, VBR efficiently takes as many bits as it needs for a certain frame in the file.

The tables here show it all rather nice:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....te.29_settings
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index...._LAME_settings

Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Well, right, I understand that. I'm looking at the list box here in EAC right underneath where you would put the command line options, it's probably just confusing me. It lists a bunch of bitrates (96-320), then at the bottom it lists some different "Variable bitrates" (96-192). It seems to override the command line options if you use the plain 96-320 (makes it CBR). Choosing one of the VBR quantities seems to adjust the target bitrate, which 192 seems somewhat low to me. Can this listbox be disabled?

Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Actually, that box does force a minimum VBR bitrate... Strange. I allows for anything higher than the setting you choose, but none lower. It sounds wasteful.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The box in EAC is useless/disabled when you specify a LAME commandline.

Quote:
It is a generally accepted fact that the bitrate selected in the drop-down list doesn't affect the command line. In essence this is true, as it will not affect the command line unless you use the %r placeholder.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....#Configuration

Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM

Ah I see. I have confirmed that myself in the past few minutes.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 PM
ABI Invaluable

I see the same setting within WinAMP as well.

Another thing I noticed is that, ever since I copied the new lame_enc.dll into WinAMP's plugin folder thus replacing the lame_enc.dll that was already there, the options displayed in WinAMP's encoder preferences seem -- different.

It's also weird how the new lame_enc.dll is nearly ten times smaller than the one it replaced.

Or did I just totally FUBAR WinAMP?

Edit: I also noticed that settings I set within RazorLAME override settings made within WinAMP... Now I'm really confused!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry, never looked at encoding options in Winamp ever.... Winamp is a nice player, but for ripping/encoding I would definitely use something else.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I used Winamp for ripping one time. And I mean *one* time. The quality I found to be absolute shit (can I say that? Well it's true, at any rate). Then I found EAC and it was like heaven to my ears.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:58 PM
ABI Invaluable

Hmmmm, weird. I've tried other encoders (granted, they were ones packaged with WMP or other jukeboxes), and found WinAMP to be the best I've tried. In fact, with the settings below, I've achieved MP3 files that sounded every bit as good as the original CD!

Also, if you look under the "Ripping" tab, be sure the "Sonic extraction engine" checkbox is checked.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Well, at this point, all I use is EAC w/ LAME for ripping into mp3 and WMP or DivX for watching video files. All of my music is played on the Z5 or the sound system because laptop speakers blow hardcore, they are barely decent enough for watching cough"borrowed"cough movies.