android
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick
Hmmmm, weird. I've tried other encoders (granted, they were ones packaged with WMP or other jukeboxes), and found WinAMP to be the best I've tried. In fact, with the settings below, I've achieved MP3 files that sounded every bit as good as the original CD!
Too bad you can't enter a LAME commandline, the "-V" presets do sound better than any switches you could define with those dropdown menus. It somewhat overrides the main reason of the (new) LAME codec.

Tinkering with min/max VBR-settings, stereo-modes and quality-settings shouldn't be necessary at all: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....coder_Settings

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just remembered: If you have RazorLAME installed, its configuration overrides WinAMP's configuration.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:48 PM

To change my files tags I do the following:
right click>properties>summary tab>advanced

Then I jus change any info i want. The only problem is it takes time.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM

I'm new to this whole EAC and LAME thing.

I just installed EAC, and I have no idea how to use it!

Even worst, I tried it once and it created wav files, wav files I have no idea how to change into mp3's.

Can someone point me in the direction of a simple, for dummies, guide to ripping CD's and encoding usnig EAC and LAME?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:18 PM

http://www.fryth.com/eacfaq/

Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-27-2007, 02:14 PM

I use lame settings of --clipdetect -V0 --vbr-new -b 128 --lowpass 21 -q0. Neone is welcome to try it and tell me feedback lol.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:30 PM

This is definitely not recommended - by Hydrogenaudio, Dibrom (the creator of the newer LAME versions) or anyone else.

The -V presets are tuned at source code level, with tweaks you cannot achieve with any CLI switches. The -V presets have been achieved through ABX tests with lots of participants and represent the absolute optimum possible for LAME.

Using any switches for encoding quality settings, min. bitrate limitation, forced lowpass settings, etc... you lead the meaning of the -V presets ad absurdum. It will only make them sound worse.

--clipdetect might be ok if you use ReplayGain (never used it, I use MP3Gain), but the other stuff certainly doesn't help a bit. It probably makes the encoded files bigger and of lesser quality than a simple -V 0 --vbr-new. And (IMO) even that is overkill for a portable player. I'm perfectly fine with -V 2 --vbr-new, and I'm not using the shabbiest player or the shabbiest phones around.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 PM

hmm u convinced me to swap the settings. Time to fiddle around with settings; I'll either choose ur recommended v2--vbr new settings or switch to ogg. Probably not ogg since the z5 forum has been saying there's background noise.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Default why are bitrates different in my mp3s

I use EAC and LAME to rip mp3s. I was reading another thread about .WMA vs. .MP3 quality and started looking at the bitrate for my mp3s. They are all over the place.

I see that there is a "range" for each setting. -V 5 --vbr-new is 110-150. But I just ripped an album using that setting and in MP3 Tag Tools the bitrates for some songs are as low as 81kbps!! Is the listening quality still good?

Or maybe the bitrate is shown incorrectly? In MP3 Tag Tools, one song is shown as 89 kbps. Looking at Windows properties for the same song, the bitrate is 112 kbps. Eh?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 PM

That's cause it uses variable bitrate (VBR) - different applications tell you different values, because the bitrate is fluctuating... no worries, just trust your ears. If it sounds good to you it's ok, if it doesn't - use a higher V-preset.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

Why does EAC always convert to giganormous .wav files? Any way to rip directly to 128 kbps mp3?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 PM

EAC rips to gigantic WAV files, because it rips your CD in it's unaltered, "perfect" form. Meaning still at the very high bitrates that CD's are recorded at.

In order to get it to output mp3 files, you will need an mp3 encoder, I would recommend LAME as it is the best encoder out there as anyone will tell you.

Simply boot up EAC, click the compression options tab and set up the LAME .exe (as LAME doesn't come with/really need a GUI, but you can dl one...) as your external compressor. I suggest using this setting in the command line.

-V 2 --vbr-new

It makes joint stereo mp3 files with superb sound and take up only a little bit more space than your regular 128 CBR mp3's. It encodes it in VBR and peaks at 320, and stays around 160 most of the time. It sounds great.

Just go through all of the options and set it up and EAC will rip the WAVs, send it to the LAME .exe to be encoded, and then will send it to the directory that you set it up to do before hand.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask around on the board, or google it.

Gas, Break, Dip, E-40 feat. The Federation
and
Gabe Bondoc

Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

Thanks! BTW, do you go on the QJ forums (guitar king/man or something)? I think Ive seen you there... Not sure though...

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM

Naw, only forums I'm on is the Jason Mraz forum, this one, The Kirby Heyborne forum, and sometimes I'm on Rubik's cube related ones.

Gas, Break, Dip, E-40 feat. The Federation
and
Gabe Bondoc

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM

seems there's a compression queue now and you can set it to not use the external compressor automatically until you unsleep the process queue. ctrl q and in compression options. lets you rip first then compress later. speeds up the labor intensive bit of the rip process.

it does seem the drop down menu of bitrates below the command line options sets the minimum bitrate. using eac.99 + kane 3.98 final -v 0 --vbr-new and encspot to look at the bitrates there is a difference in size and average bitrate with different minimum bitrate settings. also the command window that pops up during lame encodes shows a difference in bitrate allocation. in the details of encspot it does show the bitrate allocation is only above the minimum bitrate setting. course the difference is minimal below a certain point since at v0 it seems to encode almost nothing below 192.

as for windows explorer, it seems to read all my v0 mp3s as 320kbps:P encspot gives a more accurate reading. can be low as 215kbps average or whatever and windows will show 320kbps:P

Last edited by frimframsauce; 07-25-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM

i tried the Lame setting with -V 2 --vbr-new but it just returns an error on every track

Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM

That's an old deprecated switch... use -v 2 in new LAME versions.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

i have just tried -v 2 setting in EAC and i still get the external compression error message