android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung K3 / K5

Old 04-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Upgrading Samsung YP-K5 to the 1.46 UMS firmware

Latest Version is 1.50 KR.. Courtesy of DanielNTX

Upgrading (Samsung YP-K5) to the 1.50 KR MSC/UMS firmware from the 1.03 (and up) MTP versions, you must go through a sequence of steps...

Important Note: Be sure to backup your music/photos before updating as your data will be lost during formatting.

Download and unzip the 1.50 firmware.. drag & drop (copy) the three files (from the unzipped firmware folder) to the *Data* folder on your K5, unplug the USB cable and restart the player, the K5 will then show updating and a size limitation error (18MB database error).

It must then be formatted through Windows (IMPORTANT! FAT32 format , NOT NTFS). After doing this, restart the player.. the player will update and you will get a white screen that looks like you have a disaster on your hands.. but if you once again drag & drop the same three firmware files to the *root* (not into a folder) of the K5 directory, unplug the USB cable and restart.. a final updating will occur and you can then re-load your K5 with music, photos etc..

Note: If during any of this process, your player locks up or fails to connect.. depress the *reset* hole on the back of the player, to clear it.

Features added by the 1.43 firmware update include:
1) UMS/MSC support
2) Browsing the player by folder (id3 tag browsing is NOT supported)
3) Ogg Vorbis audio files supported (added previously)
4) Custom EQ
5) Lyrics support
6) Graphical EQ display hesitation when operating player has been fixed

Additional improvements added by firmware ver. 1.46WA/1.50KR include:
7) Listen to music (on player) while charging via USB
8) Better handling of Shuffle feature (better randomizing)
9) Photo Zooming feature (100%/200%/400%) and navigation within zoomed photos.

All-in-All a worthwhile upgrade, assuming you don't care about id3 tag browsing for Artists, Genres etc. IMO, just having full UMS support is worth the effort of the update.. making the K5 a truly cross-platform OS player.

Important Note: You do also lose the capability to playback protected media (DRM'ed purchased songs)... so bare this in mind, if it is an important feature for you.

I hope this helps to clarify the update process for those worried about the procedure and those that were unclear about the sequence of events and their order...

Many Thanks to All Members that continue to add their own experiences, advice and links to keep these instructions up to date!

Last edited by Utew; 09-03-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Updated to 1.50KR September 2, 2008...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM

How do i create a playlist? Same way i would on the US firmware? I like the new setup though, it would be nice for IDE tagging but the trade off is totally worth it for the equalizer. Good find, and the writeup was perfect! Thanks again
-Lee

Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 PM

You can use Samsung Media Studio still with the Korean firmwares, it'll do playlists too. It saves them in a different format tho. The only peeve I have with SMS and the Korean firmware is that it doesn't automatically make folders for artist and album to suffice for not having ID3 recognition. Apps like media monkey will, but doesn't have playlists that the K5 support.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Good info, Nacron.. Thanks for that...

I don't use playlists myself (or SMS for that matter).. but it's good to know for those that do.. If you find any other way to make playlists for the K5 be sure to update your post to reflect that.. would you? Thanks Again!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 AM

When I connect the Sumsung K5, all its show is the Internal Storage HDD. I can't copy any files directly to the K5. There is no Data folder or anything!

Now I don't know how I can update my K5...

Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM

It's possible that you may need to format the player first (thru Windows)...

If you have been using the non-Korean firmware versions, you will need to create a folder called *Data* and transfer it (3 files that come from the unzipped firmware download) to your K5 first... then just follow the instructions above if you are installing the Korean firmware...

Last edited by Utew; 05-18-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 PM

Unhappy

I tried doing this and now my K5 wont turn on completely it freezes and it wont find itself on my computer anymore!

I NEED HELP!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Kinda late on my response to this.. sorry.. if you are still having the same problem let me know.. and if you have fixed it, post that too..

Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor_killa View Post
I tried doing this and now my K5 wont turn on completely it freezes and it wont find itself on my computer anymore!

I NEED HELP!
Do tou know how i can resolve this problem i have it to with my k5.
Thnak you

Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 AM

Having successfully upgraded my firmware to 1.43 KR, I thought I’d share the experience on the off chance it might help someone. Quick background… I got my K5 for listening to podcasts like Quirks and Quarks, Astrocasts, and BBC documentaries. Not too worried about playing music on this device. I found the UI just useless for adding new episodes to existing playlists. Great shame because the hardware was perfect.

Having searched the net for a solution I have read quite a bit about upgrading firmware, but admit to being hesitant. Often the instructions stated things like “copy files to your *data* directory” when I didn’t have one! And there were one or two disaster stories too.

Anyway on finding this post I downloaded the Korean (or Worldwide?) firmware from the link at the top of the thread and cracked on only deviating slightly with the instructions above.

Note this is just what I did and not a guide.

a)downloaded the zip file and copied the 3 files within to my K5’s root directory. In my case that was the directory that was opened when I clicked on “Internal Storage”
b)I unplugged K5 from it’s cable (after a minute or so – though I’m sure you could pretty much do it straightaway)
c)Turned on the K5 again and missed the message on the screen (doh!) but waited for a couple of minutes and then plugged the USB cable again
d)XP found the device and added it as a “Removable Disk” (previously it showed as Samsung YP-K5 in Windows Explorer, and I’ve since renamed it to Samsung K5)
e)When I clicked on a “Removable Disk” XP told me the disk wasn’t formatted and prompted to do it for me. I did, making sure it was FAT32
f)After the format was completed I copied the 3 firmware files back to the now empty root drive of the “Removable Disk”
g)Unplugged the USB again then restarted K5 (paying attention to screen this time) which indicated the firmware was being upgraded
h)gave it a minute and then I changed the language back to English, which was easy thanks to Samsung making it easy to find under Settings
i)After a minute or two I plugged the K5 back into it’s USB cable and it popped up in Windows Explorer with the root directory populated with MUSIC, PICTURES and PLAYLIST folders and a few system files.

From here I briefly tried to set up Playlists from WMP11 but it only worked for one of 3 playlists, bundling the other tracks into UNKNOWN. But who cares because – AND this is the BEST bit…

… Now I can simply treat the K5 like another drive and add MP3 files and Folders (that for me do everything I had wanted from a playlist anyway) at ease via Windows Explorer. Now my K5 is the device I wanted!

Thanks to all other posters for getting me to this point.

cheers, walt_D

Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 AM

walt D, Thanks for adding that.. and glad you are enjoying the improvements of the KR firmware.. ..also a big Welcome to ABi!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Default ahahahah, I want to have it!!

Please disregard the message i sent you. I didn't see that the link was on your message all the time~~

I will try and hope this will work as it did for you!!

Thanxxxx

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Unhappy K5 firmware download problem

Hi everyone, I need some help with the K5 firmware download link. Everytime I click on the link it keeps popping up a message saying "the website I am visiting is trying to close the window" Can anyone be kind enough to send me the the firmware file as an attachment?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelee131 View Post
Hi everyone, I need some help with the K5 firmware download link. Everytime I click on the link it keeps popping up a message saying "the website I am visiting is trying to close the window" Can anyone be kind enough to send me the the firmware file as an attachment?
Thanks in advance.
Please read the announcement.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
Please read the announcement.
Thanks for the info. will keep checking.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The link in the first post has been updated. It should now download K5 version 1.43 firmware again.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Default White screen formating problem!

I just tried to reformat my k5 but it obviously didnt work.
i tried to do as instructed.
1.put the 3 folders into the drive
2. restarted it.( it worked, it showed the updating sign. but is just lasted for 3-4 seconds)
3. plug it into the computer, got recognised as portable player, YP-k5 (skipped the formating part as it didnt showed as a unknown drive)
4. then unpluged it and it showed the white screen. And even after pressing the small button at the back it didn't work. then it just simply showed as yp-k5 portable player and nothing could be put inside anymore. and it stayed on as white screen.

PLease please help me.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Formatting the K5 is necessary to complete the upgrade. By skipping this part it will not work. Even though the K5 is unknown it should still be located in My Computer where you can right-click and select format, then continue following the steps above.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
Formatting the K5 is necessary to complete the upgrade. By skipping this part it will not work. Even though the K5 is unknown it should still be located in My Computer where you can right-click and select format, then continue following the steps above.
i tried it, but it just got regconised as a portable player, yp-k5 and is it is a drive(forgotten what it is called) but i tried to reformat the drive in the icon portable player ypk5, it became fixed storage and nothing can be paste into it

so what i meant was that, it could not be reformated

Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The player will need to be formatted before you can paste anything on it again, but usually windows will prompt you to do this, or you can choose to format it. The only other suggestion I have is to "Run > diskmgmt.msc" and try to format it there.