android
Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 AM

Default What works for me

I struggled for a while with getting album art to work, but now have a simple solution that works for me.

1. Ensure that each album sits in its own directory on your computer.
You can do this when ripping, or you can do it afterwards using mp3 tools such as MediaMonkey ("Auto-Organize Files"), which can create new subdirectories and file names based on tags.

2. Embed album art into the id3 tag using the tool of your choice.
I use MediaMonkey.

3. Transfer to Vision:M using whichever method you like.
Just make sure that the directory structure is kept intact.

The first point about directories seems to be instrumental in making it work. I have had no problems with the album art since I started organizing my library on the PC before transfer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2007, 01:00 AM

I have some issues with album art. Apparently its a popular problem huh? Well I read through this post and didn't read anything like this. My problem is that I have more than one album with the same name. For example, Kenney Chesney - Greatest Hits and Jim Brickman - Greatest Hits. One of them will be incorrect. The Kenny Chesney album displays the Jim Brickman cover and I can only assume its because of the same cd title. This happens for Steve Holy - Blue Moon and Toby Keith - Blue Moon. Is there anyway around this? Please help me out. Its kinda frustrating. I just got my ZEN and I love it but this is kinda annoying.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Only solution I've found for that problem is naming the Album something different. If it's an album called greatest hits I edit each song to say something like "INXS Greatest Hits". Hopefully this will be fixed in a future firmware upgrade.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlangley View Post
Only solution I've found for that problem is naming the Album something different. If it's an album called greatest hits I edit each song to say something like "INXS Greatest Hits". Hopefully this will be fixed in a future firmware upgrade.
Just about to suggest the same thing. It worked for me when I used the above method. The firmware can't handle identical album titles even though they're by different artists

Old 02-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannesley View Post
The firmware can't handle identical album titles even though they're by different artists
That's really frustrating and pretty short-sighted on Creative's part. I've been playing with a coworker's ZVM for the past couple of days trying to find some way around it, but obviously it's not something a user can correctly fix. Creative is my player of choice, but I will not buy one as long as this limitation exists.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
It would be possible to have the player create several "Greatest Hits" album listings based on, say, the artist's name. However, this would break compilation albums (albums with songs by various artists) rather badly -- If you ripped and synced such an album, then the album would not appear under one heading, but under a dozen or so! It would be impossible to keep such an album intact under such a scheme.
That's completely untrue. Within the ID3v2 spec is a field called "Album Artist" for that very purpose. In a correctly tagged collection, a compilation album's "Album Artist" field = "Various" or "Various Artists" while the Artist field specifies the artist for each given track on the album.

The Creative firmware is caching album art based solely on an album's title. If they would simply modify the firmware to cache based on "Album Artist" + "Album Title" then 99.99% of all problems would be solved.

Also, why no option to have the player read embedded art directly from the mp3 files during playback? Did you know that the ID3v2 spec allows for multiple embedded images? You can identify embedded art as front cover, back cover, etc., and a sophisticated player could update the thumbnail display as a slideshow during playback. Yes, it might take a couple of seconds to render, but it would be 100% accurate, and perfectionists like myself would be fully satisfied.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Hopefully I won't get flamed for saying this, but what's the big deal with album art? I have some songs that have it, but the majority don't, and I couldn't be bothered to aquire them. For starters the pictures are so small it seems pointless to me, and secondly, even if the pictures were bigger I don't see the point. It's the music I'm interested in...not the album art. I have come to accept that by listening to music through an MP3 player rather than a CD in a CD player, I am giving up album art and liner notes...small price for me to pay.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM

My media collection exists in more places than on a portable player. All of my files have embedded art, proper tags, etc., and my CDs are packed in boxes in the garage (next to my media server). Whether I play my files through Xbox Media Center or a UPnP server or even a portable device, I look for a robust feature set. While you do not care, others may. To completely abandon album art simply because your current portable player doesn't do a stellar job of it is pretty short-sighted. Properly implemented, it is a very enjoyable feature. Guests at my home always get a kick out of the album art as displayed via Xbox Media Center at 1080i.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
Properly implemented, it is a very enjoyable feature.
I'm glad you think so...I don't and thus your response is a moot point to me.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombra View Post
I'm glad you think so...I don't and thus your response is a moot point to me.
Why did you come into a thread about album art just to say that you don't care about the subject?

Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Why did you come into a thread about album art just to say that you don't care about the subject?
Because I don't understand all the fuss over album art and wanted to express that opinion, or was this only a pro-album art discussion?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Isn't it a pro-album art discussion? As the title says, it's a thread for those interested in resolving issues concerning album art as displayed on the ZVM.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:49 PM

I think it has been mentioned before, but I have found that by using Album Art Fixer and using your favorite MP3 Tags utility to embed the album art inside the mp3 file I have been able to get album art to display on every device that supports displaying them... my ZVM, Dream'eo PMC, Windows Media Center notebook PC, and XBOX360 MCE.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I think it has been mentioned before, but I have found that by using Album Art Fixer and using your favorite MP3 Tags utility to embed the album art inside the mp3 file I have been able to get album art to display on every device that supports displaying them... my ZVM, Dream'eo PMC, Windows Media Center notebook PC, and XBOX360 MCE.
Try two albums with the same title on the ZVM (such as "Greatest Hits"). If you can get them both to show the correct art, please share how.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 PM

How do you embed the art into the ID3 tag? The album art for Jay-Z's Kingdom Come displays in MediaMonkey, but not on my ZVM. I have Windows ME, if it makes a difference.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Try two albums with the same title on the ZVM (such as "Greatest Hits"). If you can get them both to show the correct art, please share how.
You can't as far as I've seen. ZVM displays the art based on Album title. I added (Artist name) after Greatest Hits to overcome it.

To embed, in the properties of the file in Media Monkey, look at Album Art. If you added it there, tell it to embed if it's possible. If it appears it already is, you need to resync the file to the ZVM. You may need to delete the song on the ZVM then resync the song(s).

Mine works fine. To keep things clean, I usually delete the entire artist folder on the ZVM and sync it again. That way I know the most current is on the ZVM.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:47 AM

Default edit album art while the files are on the player

Perhaps a stupid question, but is there a way to edit the album art while the files are on the player? I don't have enough space on my HD to copy the files back, edit them and copy them back....

Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
It all boils down to whether or not you mind the album art showing up in your Photos listing. I don't like it personally because of the clutter and because it takes up twice as many file allocations as embedded does
Any sense of how much space it takes up in each file if you embed the art in the file? I haven't embedded art because I was concerned that cumulatively, the art stored in each file would take up a lot of space on the player. But looks like I'm "losing" space anyways in the Photos and with extra file allocations.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg12 View Post
Any sense of how much space it takes up in each file if you embed the art in the file? I haven't embedded art because I was concerned that cumulatively, the art stored in each file would take up a lot of space on the player. But looks like I'm "losing" space anyways in the Photos and with extra file allocations.
The space taken by embedding album art jpgs into each mp3 file is so insignificant as to be 0. If you standardize on 200x200 pixel jpg images, we're talking on average 30-40KB. If the mp3 file is 3-4MB, that's only 1% increase. If an album has 10 tracks each averaging 4MB, that is only 360KB in additional space over having a single folder.jpg per album.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 PM

How do you embed the art into the ID3 tag? The album art for all my albums displays in MediaMonkey, but not on my ZVM. I have Windows ME, if it makes a difference.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? I was told to post here, but no one is willing to help... And I couldn't find the answer through the thread.