android
Old 05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Why does my PC all of a sudden now "see" my Vision:M every time I plug it in -- TWICE? Once (as always) in the right folder, and now in a separate folder as "removeable drive" with my name (I use that on the player).
Most likely becuase you have the setting enabled (in the Creative Software) to show the ZVM as a PMD (Portable Media Device) for My Computer in addition to to the Zen Media Explorer being shown/integrated into the Explorer shell.

1. Open Zen Media Explorer.
2. Select “Settings and Information”.
3. Select the “Tools” tab.
4. Uncheck the box to disable "Show my player as PMD in My Computer".

....or something along those lines within the ZVM version of the software.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks, BobbyRS. However, in my Creative Media Explorer there is no such box to uncheck under Tools.

All I have is "Clean Up Organizer"; "Delete Temporary Files"; and "Format Player". (Three buttons)

I am using the latest Zen Vision:M firmware (according to the CL website), which is 1.62.02_0.00.23.

I bought this player off the display shelf at Wal-Mart last Nov. They were scarce as hen's teeth back then. I got no installation CD, no box, no manual, and no cords or charger. Initially my PC wouldn't "see" it at all, b/c the battery was dead. (Took me a while to figure that one out). I had some of that from my Zen V Plus, and bought the rest off of Amazon.com. I know I can d/l the installation CD off a site mentioned here, but I DO NOT want to format this player. HOURS of work would go down the drain.

I have stopped the detachable disk services in Windows XP. I am still seeing two versions of my player in the tree. One is the regular one, and one says my name, and then lists the player as "Storage Media", with all of the Zen default files.

It may have something to do with how I work with files, as I prefer not to use the default organizers and I do not ever "sync". Yes, I know, I do everything by hand, and that's why I spend hours on this stuff. It's good to be retired!

This is not a huge issue, just a curiosity, and I don't know what has changed on my PC other than upgrading to XP SP3, and the .NET 2.0 thing. But I can live with it.

Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, sorry about that. The location was geared mainly for the newer Zen software. Perhaps someone with the ZVM, using the Creative software, can chime in as to where the setting is.
<O
Most likely the service you are disabling won't help since the ZVM won't be loaded as a removable disk, but as a Portable Device thanks to the protocol MTP.<O
<O
What does the regular listing say? The other showing your name is the actual name you gave to the device as a portable device setting; similar to a label on removable devices. It's MTP's way of attempting to resemble itself in similar fashion as a MSC device under My Computer/Explorer.

Oh, what service pack did you upgrade from?<O

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM

The "regular" listing is just that -- (I wish I could do a screen capture here); the little CL icon of the ZVM and it says "Zen Vision:M Media Explorer". Below that (next in the tree) it says "Creative Zen Vision:M (with my name in parenthasis)". Below that are all the default folders (under "Media Library" -- Music, Video, Pictures, Slideshows, etc.).

The "other" listing is above the two CL icons (for each of my players), and says ("my name", which as you say I input under "Information" in ZVM Explorer). There is the same ZVM icon in front of it. Under that it says "Storage Media", and then all of the same default folders (Music, Organizer, Playlists, etc.) The files, however, show up differently, with the ALBUM ART as .alb files with zero bytes. (??) Really a different view of the player than the other one. Again I want to emphasize that this is not a huge issue, just a curiosity.

On the right side of the tree (in the "details" view), it says that the "regular" folder is a "System Folder", while the new one is a "Portable Media Player".

I just upgraded from WXP SP2 to SP3 (around the 6th of May), but don't recall seeing this phenomenon until about a week ago. Could be I just didn't notice. I have been doing a lot of ripping using SmartRipper, SUPER, and the default CL video compresser to get all of my concert DVD's into my ZVM. Led Zep, Heart, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Bob Dylan. I have been doing nothing else for the past two weeks!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan View Post
The "regular" listing is just that -- (I wish I could do a screen capture here); the little CL icon of the ZVM and it says "Zen Vision:M Media Explorer". Below that (next in the tree) it says "Creative Zen Vision:M (with my name in parenthasis)". Below that are all the default folders (under "Media Library" -- Music, Video, Pictures, Slideshows, etc.).
This is default behavior when you have Media Explorer installed. Windows mounts the device as an Portable Media Device with the name you set on your player (System/Player Settings). Media Explorer also mounts the player with ME as the default explorer for it, and it bears the Zen Vision:M Media Explorer name.

As Bobby mentioned, there is a setting in Media Explorer for allowing or disallowing Windows mounting the device, hidden in one of the settings menus. Unfortunately, I got rid of Creative's software nearly a year and a half ago, so I can't be of much help here.

If you like how Media Explorer works, and everything works well despite the double-representation, then there's nothing you need to do. It's not a defect, it's just the way ME talks to Windows. If, however, you would rather not have Media Explorer installed at all, then you can safely uninstall it (along with MediaSource if you have that installed), then update your Windows Media Player installation to WMP11. With that installed, Windows will mount your player as a PMD, so you won't lose that functionality; and you can use any sync manager you wish if you so desire - even WMP11 itself. You'll also find much improved functionality within Windows Explorer with WMP11 installed, owing to its improved MTP driver.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
If you like how Media Explorer works, and everything works well despite the double-representation, then there's nothing you need to do. It's not a defect, it's just the way ME talks to Windows.
And that's the point, isn't it? Thanks again to you both. I think I shall enjoy this forum.

I'm always a little curious about how so many people talk about WMP 11 as a "beta", or as something "new". Seems like I upgraded about two years ago from WMP 10 to 11. I like it as a player, because it loads so much faster (mp3's, anyway), than does MusicMatch Jukebox. I also use it as my default viewer for .wmv's, .avi's, mpegs, etc.

As far as the default progs. that come with the ZVM, I took off the organizer and the ZenCast, TV, and a few other things as well.

When it comes to COVER ART, however, all WMP is good for is displaying all of your songs (with art) on your computer screen. I have not found it to update photos very well. I still have to do that manually, using Amazon.com for the artwork. I have a pretty big folder of .jpeg's on my PC, but NOT in my Zen. Tagging is leaner, as you said, ZenChick. The Zen V Plus was very hard to work with, as far as transfering all of my work. Many pictures did not "take", and everyone was advising to put a file into the player for just the artwork. I'm sorry, but with only 4Gb, there wasn't enough room. Even now I am rapidly filling up 30Gb, which as you say is really only 28.5.

I am not a "modder" (hey, I'm an old guy), but want to fish around a little on these forums to see what all the fuss is about. If it's JUST fonts and screensavers, however, I think I'll pass.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Okay, so this has probably been answered somewhere, but I can't sift through all the pages.
I have WMP11, and I don't want to "sync" because I have more music on my ZEN than my computer. Anywho, I wanted to know how I'm supposed to fix the album art stuff using it.
WMP11 has recognized my player, and I can see tracks sorted by album cover when I select my player on the left hand navigation thinger.
What do I do?

Last edited by Zackoree; 06-21-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Zackoree, you can start by reading this thread. There is a wealth of information here for doing what you are wanting.

Brief directions:

1. Highlight the album you want to add album art too.
2. Right click on the songs and select "Find Album Info".
3. WMP will connect to Microsoft album art network so you can select the right album art.
4. Select the Sync tab.
5. Connect the ZVM.
6. Select the audio file(s) with new album art over to the sync section, and sync.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Adding to this since you mentioned you don't want WMP to sync your player... You can either set WMP11 to not automatically sync your player, or just not have WMP running when you do plug in your player. Either way, WMP11 can still be used to ensure all of your tags and album art are in order, and then you can simply plug in your player, look for its entry in "My Computer", double-click its icon, and navigate to /Media/Music and drag-and-drop whatever you want into it.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I believe you can tell WMP to not sync automatically within the device sync settings:

Open WMP, select Tools from the menu bar -> Devices tab -> right click on the device and select Change Sync Settings -> Uncheck the Sync device automatically check box

To adjust or disable what folders WMP monitors for syncing:

Open WMP, select Tools from the menu bar -> Library tab -> Monitor Folders button

Zen FAQ

Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 AM

Hi,

Just found this thread about Album Art problems on the Zen Vision M:

I read through most of it but did not find any posting about this observation

I have done every possible suggested solution and remedy to get "art" to show on 6 albums on my Vision M: - no luck

What I have noticed, it only happens in compilation albums that I put together EG: "Best of Rock", "Easy Listining" ect

I think duplicate songs in different albums cause this - I have "Night Fever" on the "Saturday Nite Fever" album, and in a "Best of Dance" compilation - both these songs ID Tag for artist & title is identical, but they have different Album Art

Am I onto something here? ;-)

Anyway I am trying to find a solution for this

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The way the ZVM handles and parses album art is still somewhat of a mystery. Usually, as part of the sync process, the sync manager parses the album art and writes it into the player's database. In the absence of this, the player itself will parse the album art from the files' ID3v2 tags and write it into the database. However, the ZVM does not like "mix-and-match" methods. That is, if you use one sync manager, then use either another sync manager or direct drag-and-drop methods, the album art for the new files will not show, no matter how hard you try. Also, if the album tag for one song within an album is different from the album tag of other songs in the album, the album art display will be inconsistent, as the player will try to find the art matching the album tag of that particular song and come up empty.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM

THe majority of my music was ripped from CD into WMA using WMP. Is that album art embedded? I think it must be because it doen't show up in my pictures folder on my BELOVED ZVM 60GB (recently replaced with a new hard drive courtesy of my one year creative guarantee.) I have used TagScanner to add some album art but it is not reliable for everything. I have used WMP11s Advanced tag editor to add some album art but I don't know if that embeds it. I have just discovered you can drag images onto the blank cover in WMP11 but it doesn't show up in the "Advanced Tag Editor" in WMP. All the ways seem to work but I would like to know the VERY best way to embed album art into the tag. I have a feeling I may be told to rerip all my music as MP3 but I hope not. All my new ripping is done in MP3.

Any help would be the best!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello themailman89. Welcome!

MP3Tag

It has been mentioned a ton of times in this thread alone.

Also, see Tagging FAQ here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM

ok i know this has been answered in this thread but i don't have time to read through 17 pages to find it.

I want to turn off album art if this is possible. I've had my player for like 3 years now and it never had album art on before. A few weeks back it started to put it on when I added tracks. The problem is that it is the same picture for every single song. I just want to get rid of it and stop it from happeneing in the future.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You wouldn't of had to read far. Post 6 on the first page. This will remove the album art.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
You wouldn't of had to read far. Post 6 on the first page. This will remove the album art.
keeps saying file not found. i attach my mp3 player go to the music folder and it won't work. it does it to the songs on my computer but not the ones on my mp3 player.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can only edit the song on the computer, not on the ZVM. Once the files on the computer are corrected, do a sync and the changes should transfer.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
You can only edit the song on the computer, not on the ZVM. Once the files on the computer are corrected, do a sync and the changes should transfer.
that didn't work, now i have like 2 of every song.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should really take time to read through this thread. This has been covered many times before. That is why these threads are here.

Do you not use a sync program to transfer files to your ZVM or did you try two different sync programs?

It will most likely be best to remove the files on the ZVM and then copy/sync the corrected (album artless) files back.

Zen FAQ