android
Old 09-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick
Okay, got the situation fixed with my player, and it's displaying album art again. My suspicions were correct: WMP11 had done something to break album art display on the ZV:M. I just have absolutely no idea what or how. I'm still researching that. But what I ended up doing was deleting everything off my player again, and plugging it into another computer that doesn't have WMP11 on it. Re-synced via Media Explorer, and everything came up fine.

So the issue I'm trying to figure out is this: Since my album art is embedded as per ID3v2 specs, and my embedded art hasn't been messed with (ie. it shows up just fine within my tagger and within Winamp - after I'd gotten rid of all the JPEG files WMP threw around), what is it that WMP11 is doing that is interfering with the ZV:M's ability to display them?

There may be one other variable in the mix that might play a role (though, again, I have no idea how) -- When I synced on my laptop (it has the WMP11 installation), I had to point both WMP and Media Explorer to my library located on a network drive. On the other computer, Media Explorer was pointed to a local drive (this computer is the fileshare server for my LAN). Since the rest of the tag information came through without a problem, I can't see how one tag part would be blocked like that.

*sigh* This is gonna be a looong weekend.
Interesting. I never used WMP 11. And my mp3 files are on my local harddrive. I've only used Media Explorer to transfer files to my Zen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM

A little more research...
I updated my ZVM to the latest firmware.... no change. (no album art displayed).

I synced some songs using WMP10.... success! (album art gets displayed... only small image adjacent to track/album/artist info).

I used the ZVM Media Explorer to copy one of the files (that displays album art correctly) to my local harddrive. Using both MP3TAG and MP3 Tag Tools I discovered that the embedded ID3 tag containing the album art has been removed! I searched the ZVM using Media Explorer and could find no place where the image was extracted to. (even with "Show Hidden Files and Folders" checked.)

It looks like Media Explorer does NOT display all files on the ZVM. There must be a database somewhere on the ZVM that stores album art. This database is hidden from Media Explorer and doesn't get updated with album art when dragging and dropping files onto Media Explorer.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

did you trying looking for the album art by going through the device dirrectly and not Media Explorer?

My preferred video/audio converter, DVD ripper: Media Coder

Players I own: Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB, Net MD MZ-S1

Old 09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you're going through WMP10 to do your syncronizations, then check around the "My Pictures" directory for one labeled Albums. You might find your stripped album art there.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
did you trying looking for the album art by going through the device dirrectly and not Media Explorer?
How do I do that?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

if you are using Win XP with SP 1 or 2
my computer> "name of your zen">device and you should be in your ZVM
basicly you are exploring your device with windows explorer instead of Media Explorer

Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
if you are using Win XP with SP 1 or 2
my computer> "name of your zen">device and you should be in your ZVM
basicly you are exploring your device with windows explorer instead of Media Explorer
That is how I've been exploring my ZVM all along... but that is NOT using windows explorer but Media Explorer.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i dont think so.. because when i plug my ZVM into my computer, and go to My Computer, there are 2 icons that i can select to access my ZVM, the one that is titled My Zen (the name you can be selected in the settings menu on your ZVM) and the other option is Zen Vision:M Media Explorer. the first way is using Windows Explorer the second is Media Explorer

Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 AM

Simon, I get the same. I wish I was at home, I'd put up a screenshot.

Some users may not be familiar with using Windows Explorer. For me, I can't go a day without using it. It's under Start > Accessories in case anyone that doesn't know, can use it.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
i dont think so.. because when i plug my ZVM into my computer, and go to My Computer, there are 2 icons that i can select to access my ZVM, the one that is titled My Zen (the name you can be selected in the settings menu on your ZVM) and the other option is Zen Vision:M Media Explorer. the first way is using Windows Explorer the second is Media Explorer
I see 2 under My Computer.... "Creative Zen Vision:M on Local" (with a camera icon) and the other is "Zen Vision:M Media Explorer" (with a little ZVM icon).

Using the "ZVM on Local" I can copy files FROM the player, but I cannot copy them TO the player. (I get the (/) icon)

The only way that I can see a "My Zen" under My Computer is to expand "Zen Vision:M Media Explorer" (by clicking on the [+] button).

Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

what OS are you using? heres a screenshot of what i get

Old 09-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
what OS are you using?
Windows XP Professional w/SP2

Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 PM

That's weird... that's not what I get when I open Windows Explorer. When I do open WE, and open My Computer, I get two listings. The one that says just "Steph" (that's me) is the one that looks, acts, and behaves like WE (because it is). The one that says Zen Vision:M Media Explorer is the browser that came in the software that looks like WE but doesn't have most of the functionality.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your ZVM should not be coming up as a digital camera! Chances are, you've got some program running that scans for removable media containing pictures, or you've got the wrong driver installed that is mistaking your ZVM as a camera!

Do you have Windows Media Player 10 (or 11) installed? If not, then download and install it. The MTP driver that comes with either version should correct your issue.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I figured that something was wrong. I managed to decouple the ZVM from the Camera/Scanner support, but still no-go. However re-installing WMP10 DID fix it. Thanks!

The odd thing is that dragging and dropping files either via Windows Explorer or Media Explorer will not allow album art to appear. It only appears if I sync with WMP10. Album art isn't worth the hassles of dealing with WMP10.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 AM

Thumbs up

Creative Media Toolbox has worked the best. I had hassles with WMP11 at first but now i've fixed it, it works great!

Thanks everyone!

Bam!!
Someone very wise once told me nothing

iPodKilla4Life

Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
Yeah, I figured that something was wrong. I managed to decouple the ZVM from the Camera/Scanner support, but still no-go. However re-installing WMP10 DID fix it. Thanks!

The odd thing is that dragging and dropping files either via Windows Explorer or Media Explorer will not allow album art to appear. It only appears if I sync with WMP10. Album art isn't worth the hassles of dealing with WMP10.
Okay.... mystery solved!

It appears that there isn't just ONE ID3 tag for coverart images, but that there are multiple image tag conventions as well. Cover Art (front), Cover Art (back), Live Performance art, etc. Somewhere within the tag for the image is a descriptor. Neither Mp3Tag nor ID3 Tools, nor the other ID3 tag tools I tried generate the tag with the "descriptor" that the ZVM is looking for.

Only MediaMonkey generates the tag in a way that is recognized by the ZVM.
Very strange.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even stranger: I've always used the "User defined/Other" descriptor within MP3 Tag Tools, and they all worked just fine on the ZVM until I installed WMP11. WMP11 changed all the rules with regards to album art tagging, and I had the exact same problem you had - Neither Media Explorer nor good-ol' drag-n-drop were allowing album art to show!

When I used Media Explorer on another computer (one that never had WMP11 installed) to sync my ZVM (after I formatted the ZVM), it worked fine again. Same songs, same library (personal LAN).

I think, once you install WMP11, there's no going back. Even if you roll back, some functions of Media Explorer will never be the same again.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up Media Monkey: Yesssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidandroid
ahh thanks. Media Monkey works. You da man!
Yes indeed. Media Monkey works, no hassle. Many thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM

Okay. So, I just bought an M. It hasn't appeared in the mail yet (tomorrow.) My other MP3 player didn't support Album Art, so I've been going through WMP11 and getting album art for everything. Does this mean that it won't appear on the player? If so, is there a workaround of some sort, or am I FUBAR?
Black 60GB Creative Vision M (Cracked Screen)
20gb Iaudio X5L (Unable to Transfer Files to/from)