android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon iAudio X5

Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Default iAudio X5. Can you browse by Artist, Album, etc.??? What About Video playback?

Hey, I was ready a review on Cnet and it said on the X5, the suer is not able to browse by Artist, or Album, etc. Is this true?

Also, how is the video playback? I know it is 15fps, but does anyone have anything to say about it? those who have used it?

Thanks, let me know!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Any review will tell you that theres no ID3 tagging used, that the player uses a folder based system. So basicaly you find music the same way that you probibly store it on your computer (So either in one huge heap, or then sorted by artist, the album). **However** if you dont care about warenty, rockbox does implement it. Ofcourse, I would never really sugest going against a warenty, especialy as these kinda expensive gadgets need all the warenty they can offer.

Video playback is not exactly perfect... Its abit of a strain. You can watch short clips, of video fairly well, but I atleast wouldn't use it to watch anything over 15 minutes long... My hand gets tired from holding the player in the right viewing angle (which isn't too big) for long periods of time.... Sorta like playing with the old skool Game Boy bricks. You either hold it up to your face, and get your hands tired, or then you lay it on your lap and get your neck strained. (mostlikly you will be shifting between these 2 even during a 15 minute clip ) For me, its just a feature, I do keep alot of video files on the player myself (abot half of the 20gb verson), but thats just if I get a "OMG have you seen the...?!" and if that happens I usualy just find the nearest PC to load it onto and watch it on that instead

Also, why not ask in the X5 forums?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Also

Get a cheaper and better Iriver H320 off ebay it will do ID3

Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 AM

Cheaper, not better. The real better wonder was the H120 (a simply legendary DAP).

Ever consider why the H320 never took off as a reputable DAP?

If I were you I'd consider the H120, or if you really desire video, the Creative Zen Vision:M.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just to tag onto the last... If video quality is important to you, then you should seriously consider the Vision:M. It does 30fps movie-length videos without even breaking a sweat, and its 320x240 screen renders them beautifully. Also, at 65k colors, it displays more color than any other player out there - even the latest iPods! Battery life is rated at around four hours of video playing -- I've managed four and a half.

Another great feature: You can store standard TV-resolution (approximately 640x480) videos on the ZV:M. During playback on the player's screen, the ZVM does a very good job of scaling the video down to the screen's resolution; however, the real advantage of this is that you can plug the ZV:M into any TV with A/V inputs and watch the video at normal size!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Actually, you understated the colors. The Zen Vision:M actually displays some 264,000 colors, not 65,000. The iPod 5G displays 65,000 colors. In addition, this is not the highest in the portable industry--some PMPs display 16 million (!) or so colors.

But the ZVM is still a favorite hybrid DAP (though not PMP) when considering its video merits, and rightly so.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you're right. Mea culpa.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM

The lack of ID3 sorting is not a problem if you organize your folders in a sensible manner. Arrange them like this: Genre>Artist>Album. Then you shouldn't have a problem finding anything that you're looking for. I actually prefer this method over ID3 sorting, on devices with screens that are smaller than those of laptops.