android
Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Lightbulb X5's 'predecessor' any good?

Hi all, I've been reading (and searching!!) your forums for a while; and have come across the M5. This is the closest forum i could find; and search didnt help me much.

I'm looking for a player with excellent audio quality, excellent codec support (official or unofficial i.e. rockbox), I would like to fit all my music on, which is nigh on 20GB but i would like at least 12GB. and any nice features. UMS really appeals to me, I run both Windows and Linux on a laptop. The X5 looks perfect in some respects. I really would like to stay away from ipod.
I work at a Sony retail outlet and find Sony's offerings inadequate in the storage department, despite my staff discount.

My Zen vision M broke and I came across the X5. It seems to be £40-120 more than my old vision M and apparently doesn't have the best of screens. Tbh I never really used my zen's screen to its full potential so I wondered about getting rid of colour altogether and thought about the M5? Theres some 20gb ones on ebay for £100 and £110(lp). Does anyone reckon it's worth it, and are they a decent player?
Of course I'd pair it with some sennheisers and cmoy amp and when im out Sony MDREX90's

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

damasta105, Welcome to ABI, nice to greet a new member!

Don’t know if you had a chance to read: ABI's X5 Review, for specific questions PM dfkt, or maybe he’ll read your post.

Edit: http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/m5/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The M5 uses the same hardware for audio as the X5, it most certainly sounds the same. The M5 is no predecessor, only a slimmed down version of the X5, without radio, USB-OTG, and video support.

The real predecessor was the M3, the one that doesn't have a screen on the main device, only on the remote.

You don't really need a CMOY, the X5/M5's amp is strong enough to drive IEMs adequately. Only a stronger (= more expensive) amp will make somewhat of a difference.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:02 PM

thanks for all your help!

Is £95 inc postage a reasonable deal for an m5 then? is it worth an extra £15 for lp, battery seems quite good already however.

or should I just buy another zen M, i liked it while it worked! The sound was very good but not perfect. excellent screen though.

EDIT: or would I be better off with archos A2?
sound is v. important, but for the same price as an x5 with a good screen?

Last edited by damasta105; 05-07-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: additions

Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The X5/M5 certainly is the best sounding of those you mentioned.

I assume you mean the Cowon A2, not an Archos player. I can't say how the A2 sounds, it most likely is similar to the X5's sound. I got the D2, which is quite similar to the A2 - and I have to say my old X5 still sounds better than the D2.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Hrm, it's a good thing the M5 was mentioned... I was actually considering on purchasing the X5 based on the ABI review (dftk, was that YOUR review?). But video and images are not important to me in a DAP... it's all about the tunes and sound quality for me. So, having now learned of the M5, I can save some money and still get the excellent sound chipset that the X5 also uses. w00t

Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM

dfkt - the X5 sounds better than the D2? I wonder what that means for the hopefully-coming-soon X7, sound-wise...

Old 05-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, for my ears the X5 sounds a bit more refined, musical... and it has less hiss than the D2 with low-impedance IEMs. Doesn't matter that the D2 has a twice as powerful output in that case. However, the difference is marginal, compared to other companies players... the D2 still sounds excellent.

I'm wondering the same about the X7... I'm not sure if it's the Texas Instruments chipset in the X5 that sounds better than the Wolfson/Telechips combination in the D2, or if it's a firmware issue.