android
Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the majority of people here download the files found in post #1 of this thread and (without using media centre) perform the upgrade using windows file explorer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 AM

ok, so this is sort of a new development. a 'worldwide' version 4.6. the last 'worldwide' update was 1.09?

why its not working, i have no idea. but maybe the apparent absence of a 'data' folder within windows explorer is a sign. all it shows is 'music' and 'pictures', it used to show 'data' i remember that. god only knows why its not showing anymore.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Only the older firmwares displayed a 'data' folder in the directory with music and pictures. It isn't needed for this update, just drop the files into the root of the device and disconnect.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 PM

hi, i got a few questions about this new firmware: 1. now i will see my music by folder structure and than the file name? eg: metallica/black album/enter sandman.mp3 2. will it now play ogg-files and show txt-files? thanks for any response anisa

Old 05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Banned

1. you can see your music if you shoved them into folders that isnt inside "MUSIC" or you can make playlists using the convert which is faster and easier. if you made new folders outside the "MUSIC" it will show up. "eg: metallica/black album/enter sandman.mp3" it will show up.

2. OGG files i have no clue wth they are but i checked on various sites and they do say OGG is included but since i dont use OGG i dont know for sure. So it's bet to try update and try it.

3. Text-files they all work last time i checked.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 PM
General Audio Moderator

yes, ogg up to q10 work just fine in the Korean firmware and sound excellent. No weird sound artifacts like on the z5 with ogg.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the fast answers

Old 05-13-2007, 06:13 PM

I had a few problems applying the new firmware, including the white screen problem for a while, I'd suggest this to anyone doing it: always format before upgrading, and reboot at least twice before trying anything else.

I think my problem occurred because I tried to go from 4.03 > 4.06 while only having rebooted once since applying 4.03.

Anyway, very happy with it now, I prefer the file structure browsing (ID3 browsing in original firmware was a bit buggy), the playlist function is good (using Winamp & the converter) and it looks good in red

Additionally, I'm sure I read that UK models had the FM radio disabled, however I bought mine in the UK @ Comet and the radio was enabled out of the box

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Depends where in UK you know, it's probably the updates that fixed it or enabled it

Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Language Problem

Hi,
I am having some problems with the new firmware. I followed all the advice/instructions in the previous posts. I started off with v1.09, and had to install v4.03. Saw the white screen as mentioned elsewhere. Then downloaded new v4.06, and now all the language is in korean, and suffice it to say, I don't understand korean
When using Samsung media studio, I did a firmware version check, and it lists the "device country code" as "KR". I am assuming that this stands for Korea. Can anyone help/suggest how to get back English on my player?
Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Go to the settings menu (the one with the wrench icon)
Choose the 3rd from the top, then choose english from the list of languages

Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Sorry, realized that all was required was that I go to system and change language setting there.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

weird isn't it, the update is for Korean but have English settings and other language

Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Sound?

Does the music sound better with the update? Also...is there any way to browse for music by artist/track/album rather than having a file name?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

err, not really i believe, you can make playlists for them but it wont be the same lol. Try this out,

1. Group some of your songs in a different folder at the root then unplug it
2. Check music section see if it appears there
3. Check your folder see if it appears there too
4. If it works you will have your songs in multiple folders and they will also show up in the Music folder

Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Problem updating my firmware

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem updating my firmware to 1.09 on this page http://www.samsung.com/support/produ..._MP3Player.sec and I was hoping you could help.

When I open My computer then Samsung YP-K3 and then fixed storage. I try to drag and drop the .img and the .rom files from the firmware update into the root folder but it gives me an error message saying "Cannot copy YPK3: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." And I don't know how to use either Samsung media studio or WMP to transfer these types of files. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks
Sandeep

Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi Deep,

The problem is most probably due to Windows Media Player. If you have a version lower than WMP11, then downloading and installing the latest version should solve the problem.

If you still receive the same error, then try a Windows Update to see if it changes anything. If not, then rolling back to 10 and re-installing 11 is the only other thing I can think of. Let us know how you go.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not really sure what you mean. I have WMP 11 but isn't that for only transferring media files? I don't know how to get a data file across like the the two files in the zip from that webpage. Any chance of a few step by step instructions of how you did it? I don't know why samsung don't supply a short readme for how to do this.

Thanks
Deep

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem updating my firmware to 1.09 on this page http://www.samsung.com/support/produ..._MP3Player.sec and I was hoping you could help.

When I open My computer then Samsung YP-K3 and then fixed storage. I try to drag and drop the .img and the .rom files from the firmware update into the root folder but it gives me an error message saying "Cannot copy YPK3: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." And I don't know how to use either Samsung media studio or WMP to transfer these types of files. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks
Sandeep
I'm not sure this would help, but are you placing them in your root folder or \Data\ ?
Since u r using FW1.09, you need to put the .img and .rom files in root:\data\
If the folder is not there, create it.

However this shouldn't be the case since you have the error msg
"Cannot copy YPK3: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." I'm guessing your driver hasnt been installed properly or your cable is loose?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 PM

I have the same problem with that error msg ^^^

What drivers do you guys install first? When I first got my K5, my XP Pro SP2 doesn't recognize it. So I must do a research google and install vaerious softwares such as WMP11, to Microsoft SDK, and MTP package...etc.

Now i can do song transfer with SMS, however, can't upgrade firmware cuz of the CAAN"T COPY YPK3...etc