android
Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Reliability and Durability of Zen V Plus

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a zen v plus, but everywhere I go, I see complaints like the joystick breaking easily, freezing, and problems with media transfer... Is it really reliable? And how long will it last? I want to get an mp3 player than can last a few years...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 PM

yeah i have the same concern as well. but that's why i bought it with a 2 year protection plan from circuit city for an extra 20 bucks. i'd say it's totally worth it. if it goes bad within 2 years, just take it back and they give me a full refund with a giftcard which i can use to buy the same player or anything else in the store.. so far i've had no problems with mine though. but to be honest, if you really want something that will last a couple years, the zen v probably isn't the best bet. there are many stories of it going bad(especially the display). but i still got it cause i just like the design alot.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Usually when you read a device's support forums, the vast majority of the threads are going to be about problems. Very few people ever go to a forum to report on how satisfied they are with the device.

Just something to keep in mind as you read through here.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. I really fancy the zen V plus because of all the features for a fair price, but I really need something that can last, since I'm going overseas soon... Store protection plans won't help much then.

The problem reports are found quite commonly, especially in customer reviews on websites like cnet. I figured posting this in a support forum might give me some more feedback from zen v plus owners. Some of the people posting reviews don't own the zen v plus.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 AM

I bought one end of Feb 07. The display started showing vertical stripes of dead pixels after a couple of days. Think it was the connector. I took it back to the shop & got a replacement which has been fine since. At the time there were several posts complaining of the same problem. Now none. So perhaps Creative fixed that problem in their production process.

Most of the dark-display complaints seem to be for devices a few months old - so maybe Creative have fixed that one too for more recent production. Or maybe the OLED has a short life. Flip a coin...!

I was kind of in your position in reverse - bought it while abroad - and going home a week later. Glad I got it sorted in Japan before I left!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

I bought a Zen V(not plus) in September last year, but after 2 months the device didn't turn on anymore(I had been charging it just before I tried to turn it on, so it can't be because the battery was empty. The reset hole didn't work either). I went back to the shop and they immediately replaced it with... a Zen V Plus. Probably it was just a mistake from the employee of the shop, but I'm not bothered by it. My new Zen V Plus still works perfectly, no complaints at all. I never had any problems such as breaking joysticks or bad displays, nor has my friend, who owns the same player.
So I would just say: Problems do occur, but only with a few of the many many Zen's that Creative has sold. But warranty really isn't a bad idea.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM

After a few years, your Zen's non-replaceable Lithium Ion battery is going to be dead, and you'll probably want to move on to the newest DAP technology, anyway. I expect 2-3 years max out of my Zen V. I'm going on 6 months of almost daily use with no problems (not even a freeze). Maintaining a reliable connection with my computer? Now that's a different story.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks alot guys! I checked it out at a store yesterday, and it seemed a bit fragile to me. I felt like the plastic might crack easily... Anyhow, I've decided against the zen v plus.