android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung K3 / K5

Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM

hmm send me a pm with ur msn or something, i need to have a look at the file format to fix it. Maybe mediamonkey(if thats what ure using) creates diff type of .m3u files idk..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 AM

Very good!thanks!
or i dont know how to deal it!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1Lk View Post
Heres the program that converts .m3u8 playlists to .spl

Instructions:
-Make sure you have firmware 1.43 or later
(this allows your player to be used as a USB mass storage drive)

-Add songs to winamp directly from your player, e.g H:\music\spears.mp3

-Save your playlist directly to your player, e.g H:\Playlist\myplaylist.m3u8
(this prevents your generated playlists from adding "H:" before file paths)

-It is important that u save as .m3u8 and not m3u since the conversion deals with unicode characters.

-Open the program, browse for your playlist in the mp3 player drive, e.g H:\Playlist\myplaylist.m3u8

-Click convert!

-You can delete the *.m3u8 playlist after that if you like

-This program is tested and works fine for chinese and japanese characters.

Any bugs or problems drop me a pm!

1.02(19/05/2006) - Added *.m3u support. Works only if the saved .m3u is in unicode. If in doubt, save as *.m3u8 in WinAmp.
heyyyyyyyy im trying to save the playlist but i cant save it as m3u8 i only can save it as m3u or pls and when i convert it using the program i try to move it to the mp3 but i keep on having a message saying that the portable device cant read this kind of files :S plz help

Last edited by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander; 07-21-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Removed email address

Old 07-25-2007, 05:26 PM

never thought that i had to ask this question, but how do you make a playlist with sms5?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post
never thought that i had to ask this question, but how do you make a playlist with sms5?
They are called Albums in SMS5. Good luck with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoushe10 View Post
heyyyyyyyy im trying to save the playlist but i cant save it as m3u8 i only can save it as m3u or pls and when i convert it using the program i try to move it to the mp3 but i keep on having a message saying that the portable device cant read this kind of files :S plz help
Are you using winamp? When you "save playlist as", you should be able to choose m3u8 format, if not .m3u works too if your mp3 file names are all non-unicode roman characters & numbers.
And make sure you have the later firmwares

Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoushe10 View Post
I had the same problem, but you can solve it by simply downloading the latest version of winamp

Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Default great app

thanks real handy converter, i copied it to my k3 in the same folder where I save the .m3u, so it can find it when I click browse

Old 08-26-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Heres the program that converts .m3u8 playlists to .spl
Hi,
could you or anyone else please point me towards a page which explains the spl format? Or mail me a playlist? Or share the source code? I am using my YP-K3 under Linux and would also like to use playlists on my device.

Greetings

Arno

Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Arno, there is a thread from a while back which was looking at the SPL playlist format and what it involves. If only three letter acronyms were easier to search , here's a link.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
Hey Arno, there is a thread from a while back which was looking at the SPL playlist format and what it involves. If only three letter acronyms were easier to search , here's a link.

Thank you for the link...
yes, searching for spl playlist format yielded 129 search results... I only checked a few of them

Greets
Arno

Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Smile It Works :-)

Just yesterday i got my new K3 and was fumbling for creating playlist. M1lk ,u saved my life

Old 09-03-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
For people who have experience in managing your media files and synching your player with your PC, you'd probably find WMP or mediamonkey does the job quite well for K3 and K5s, and you probably dont need to use this at all..
OK you guys are obviously on Winbloze.
I'm sure there is a way to do this in a platform neutral way.
Anyway all I needed to do was run a script from time to time that creates a randomised playlist of everything under MUSIC on the player, excluding a couple of directories.
So here's the script in case it helps anyone (I think the target audience is mostly Perl hackers using Linux, but what the hey).

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use File::Find;
use List::Util qw(shuffle);

# ----------------------------------------------
my $mount = "/media/disk"; # samsung player root
# ----------------------------------------------

open my $FH, ">:raw:encoding(UTF16-LE):crlf:utf8",
"$mount/PLAYLIST/playlist.spl" or die $!;
my @lines;
print $FH "\x{FEFF}";
print $FH "SPL PLAYLIST\nVERSION 1.00\n\n";
find \&addfiles, "$mount/MUSIC";
foreach my $line (shuffle @lines) {
print $FH $line;
}
print $FH "\nEND PLAYLIST\n";
close $FH;

sub addfiles {
my $dir = $File::Find::dir;
return unless /\.mp3/i;
return if $dir =~ /pimsleur/i;
return if $dir =~ /cisco/i;
return if $dir =~ /keistoliu/i;
$dir =~ s/$mount//i;
$dir =~ s/\//\\/g;
s/\s+$//;
s/^\s+//;
$dir =~ s/\s+$//;
$dir =~ s/^\s+//;
push @lines, "$dir\\$_\n";
}

Old 09-06-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Note regarding K3 and WMP Playlists (.wpl)

I spent a few hours trying to get WMP playlists to show up in my K3. I read all the threads. Nothing seemed to work. I didn't want to have to install the Samsung software and I wanted to avoid having to convert playlist files. Then, I tried rolling back my firmware to 3.05 (I had upgraded to 4.06) and that seemed to do it. When I create a playlist in WMP (native .wpl file) and then sync the playlist with my K3, it works. I should note, I had a bit of a scare when trying to rollback the firmware (after the first try, the screen appeared white and nothing showed) but after reformatting and copying the firmware files again, it worked.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM

After installing the newest Winamp (5.5) and newest firmware (1.59), I can now just choose the songs/albums I want and right click -> send to playlist. That's all. (at least for my K5)

If there is a way to browse the songs by folders (I put all the songs in many subfolders in the player's music folder), that would be the best.

Cheers.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Hello, i need some help with the K3. I do not understand what you guys are saying. What is mediamonkey and SMS5? How do i add playlists? I cannot find a button to add a playlist in the media studio. What is spl format?

Also i have already added 400+ songs. I would like to know if there is anyway to organize these songs into playlists, and not have 2 copies of the same song. Is the samsung K3 unable to sort songs according to artist?

Also my songs sometimes have a number in front like 01, and 02. These are NOT in my song title, and the samsung K3 appears to randomly assign numbers to songs, and leaves some songs without the numbers.

Another thing is i heard the 2GB could fit 1000 songs, but mine is maxed at 400+.

Help?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightess View Post
Hello, i need some help with the K3.
Welcome to abi>> darknightess, I'll try to answer these questions as best I can. Here goes...

Quote:
Hello, i need some help with the K3. I do not understand what you guys are saying. What is mediamonkey and SMS5?
SMS (or SMS5) stands for Samsung Media Studio, the official Samsung software. MediaMonkey is another music management software, which creates playlists in an M3U format.

Quote:
How do i add playlists? I cannot find a button to add a playlist in the media studio. What is spl format?
If you are happy using SMS then you can create a playlist by creating an 'album' within SMS, in the MY PC area, and then transfer it to your K3. SPL is the playlist format used by SMS, much similar to Windows Media Players' WPL playlist format which will also work on the K3.

Quote:
Also i have already added 400+ songs. I would like to know if there is anyway to organize these songs into playlists, and not have 2 copies of the same song.
From my understanding, when transferring a playlist from SMS (known as an album) you are presented with an option to overwrite the files in the playlist which are already on the player or not to. When synchronising a playlist in WMP, it may re-sync the files to the K3, but should not create duplicates of these songs.

Quote:
Is the samsung K3 unable to sort songs according to artist?
The K3 usually sorts files according to artist, by selecting "Music > Artist" from the main menu. If this menu does not exist, you are running a firmware which doesn't allow you to sort your music in the same way as it relies on the way folders and files have been placed on your K3.

If you can display this menu, but it isn't sorting artists the way you would like, then you need to edit the information attached to these files, so that it is. To do so, locate this file on your computer, right-click on it, select properties, open the summary tab, (click Advanced if it is displayed), then correct any misinformation. Now you can retransfer the file with the correct information to the K3 and it should be able to sort your music according to artist.

Quote:
Also my songs sometimes have a number in front like 01, and 02. These are NOT in my song title, and the samsung K3 appears to randomly assign numbers to songs, and leaves some songs without the numbers.
I'd imagine these numbers would either be the filename of the track, or in the title field of its tag properties. Removing this number should correct the issue.

Quote:
Another thing is i heard the 2GB could fit 1000 songs, but mine is maxed at 400+.
This all depends on how large each file is. The length of the track and the bitrate (amount of storage memory allocated to a certain amount of time) determine the filesize. Using the estimation that the average song is 2MB, you can store 1000 songs on your K3. A rough estimate closer to reality is that the average song is 4MB, providing space for 500 songs per 2GB.

Quote:
Help?
I hope I have... if something still doesn't make sense, or I'm wrong about something, please let me know and I can try again.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 AM

Thanks alot for your help. I am currently using the firmware 4.06, but it still does not sort according to artist. (I updated from 2.29 -> 4.06, am not sure if anything was installed previously before i installed 2.29) Which firmware is this that allows me to sort according to artist?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The most recent firmware which will allow you to sort by Artist/Album/Genre/Track is version 3.05. You can find a link to the download and instructions in the K3 firmware upgrade HOWTO thread.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Thank you m1Lk!

Hey m1Lk!
I just want to say thank you for making such a great program. It was really a lifesaver. ^_^ Now I don't have to ripp my hair off and reinstall windows on my linux laptops. Hehe! ^_^

Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 AM

K3 Playlist maintenance

Having been frustrated by playlist (Album) maintenance on the K3 I have found the following solution.
Edit the playlist using SMS as normal by adding or deleting songs from the PC library as normal.
Plug the K3 into the PC with the USB cable
Open the K3 in Windows Explorer then open the folder called playlists.
Delete the playlist file name you want to renew

Then go back to SMS and open the playlists in the left pane and the K3 in the right pane.
Select the playlist to renew, press the right hand arrow and even uncheck the replace file boxes and the playlist will reload onto the K3 perfectly and in a flash