android
Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Clix2 screen problem

I got my clix2 yesterday, it was working fine, managed to watch a full-length movie and listen to radio, audio books and music, read some texts, etc. - all in all a superb player with the few glitches mentioned elsewhere... It fell from my pocket on the carpet 2 hours ago and the screen is messed up, all lines, barely readable I formatted it, reinstalled the firmware, did everything I could think of. May I mention that I've dropped my Sansa e200 countless times, even on concrete, and it still works fine. Any idea wether it is broken or can be recovered? There's no scratch on it or any suspect moving parts... Thank you!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2007, 01:45 PM

1.) Don't drop your player
2.) Something may have already been loose and you dropping it was the final nail in the coffin
3.) If you don't feel wracked with guilt that it's your fault, contact iriver and tell them your screen started messing up.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 PM

1. Flash players should stand mild impacts! I am clumsy, that's why I prefer them
2. The screen was a bit dark in my opinion from the very beginning, and I don't know if that was normal
3. It fell frm a pathetic 1 meter on the carpet, even a newly born baby would not be harmed, so I don't feel guilty
4. All I wanted to know was if there was a possibility to fix it myself, I don't intend to send it back if the screen is that frail, I'll surely drop it again so I better keep it for music and buy another brand of flash player that does video...

Old 06-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Well in all honesty I've heard it's a pretty rugged dap, so I think you got a messed up one. I'd get it replaced, and I don't think you'd have the same problem if you happened to drop it again.

And it doesn't matter what you think it should withstand... for how much you paid for it I'd expect a little more care be taken. Either way it sounds defective, so get it replaced.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:11 AM

Oh, well, it's the first time I get a deffective player and I'm happy I didn\t have time to throw away the papers that came with it. I'll try to have it replaced because I really like it, and it has the best sound of all the players I've owned... Thanks, gorcorps!

Old 06-02-2007, 03:52 AM

Yup, and hopefully the new one will last you a while. It's on my list of most wanted players... only thing stopping me is a lack of money

Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 PM

Just some words of wisdom...

There is no portable digital audio/video player made that is built to withstand a drop from any height like you mention. Simply put, they are not made for that. Whether it be on carpet, concrete, pillows, feathers, etc.... be careful with your electronics!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meizujeff View Post
Just some words of wisdom...

There is no portable digital audio/video player made that is built to withstand a drop from any height like you mention. Simply put, they are not made for that. Whether it be on carpet, concrete, pillows, feathers, etc.... be careful with your electronics!
Hate to argue and not trying to start a flame war BUT I dropped my Sansa on concrete a couple of times and it just scratched not sure about the Clix durability tho
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 AM

From what I read at clixhere, I understand 2 things: my screen can be fixed (it's probably a connector that got loose) and it WAS my fault, that is I shouldn't have dropped it at all because it's not as sturdy as the sansa for example. I already admitted I am very clumsy, and as much as I tried not to, I dropped ALL my players, even my beloved Archos 504, with no consequences. I can do without flash games and as for movies, the screen (at least on my unit) was already too dark but as it is still readable, I'll enjoy it's beautiful sound and wait for the W10...

Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Too dark? There are brightness settings for a reason...

Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
Hate to argue and not trying to start a flame war BUT I dropped my Sansa on concrete a couple of times and it just scratched not sure about the Clix durability tho
You're not arguing at all... read my post again...

Quote:
There is no portable digital audio/video player made that is built to withstand a drop from any height like you mention.
This is a fact.

The fact that your player survived has nothing to do with the fact that it was not built to be dropped. No matter what player you have, you always risk breaking it by dropping it. That's a fact.

Remember one other thing...

On forums such as this one, iLounge, clixhere, dapreview, misticriver, 95% of everything you read will be negative or a problem with a player. The other 5% will be about how great a player is. Just human nature. Nobody seems to ever mention the Thousands upon Thousands of players that function properly, give the user great satisfaction and last a good number of years. I guess that would be too boring?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Does Clix2 have bookmarks?

Everville, It sounds like you have lots of experience with audiobooks, please confirm this one last thing before I order the clix2. Does it have real bookmarks that can be used with audiobooks other than audible.com? I know it has resume, but I'm interested in bookmarks and how many. Can I switch from audiobook to music/video and resume spot on audiobook? This is the last question that I need answered. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM

No bookmarking, at least for the moment, cyntwill (except for audible, yes). I haven't even heard if they are going to fix it in a future firmware. I haven't had my clix long so I'm not really handy with it, but I can tell you that listening to audiobooks on it was frustrating, as I accidentally hit the reverse or forward buttons immediately after switching off the hold button, so I was constantly sent to the beginning of the current track or to the next one... But the clix2 has some very nice features: playback speed adjustment and scan speed from 2x to 60x (but not the progressive scan speed). Another thing - while on hold the volume buttons work but the user-assigned one doesn't...
Yes, you can switch to video and resume, but not to music! And it does not resume after you charged the player!
Hope it helps!

Last edited by Everville; 06-07-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all the valuable information. I know the clix2 is a great player with great features, and I was looking forward to owning one, but for now I think I'll wait and see if they add bookmarks in a future firmware. Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 AM

Just received my second Clix2... I can see now that the first one was defective from the beginning, as the screen on the new one is much brighter... I sent the first one to a friend electronist who opened it and checked the connectors - everything was in place, and he just reassembled it- sorry I didn't ask him to take some picture, but he was really busy.