android
Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Location: a hole in the ground (sometimes it feels like that at least)
Default help a possible zen v buyer

I really want to get a Zen V Plus but I have no idea what I'm doing while researching it. Well, I'm new to the whole mp3 player scene (obviously) and have a few questions...

1) most importantly, does a Zen V Plus work on a Mac? I'm really having trouble understanding what people are talking about when discussing it. Guess I'm a newbie . Anyway, what is this program with many random letters that people are talking about and how does it help me work with a Mac? I'm in an all-mac household and I don't want an ipod. Help?

2) On the reviews on another site it said that the Zen V can record music directly from a CD. What does this mean?

3) All my current music is in mp3 format from CDs, so I apparently shouldn't have a problem uploading songs to the player. However, if I were to use iTunes to get a specific song and then dragged it to my desktop where it becomes an mp3 file, would I be able to put it on my Zen V?

4) The site talks about a thing called Zencast... Does that mean that podcasts don't work on Zen Vs? *gasp*(addicted to my mugglecast)

Thankyou!

Last edited by tsophia; 06-03-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: another question

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-03-2007, 05:28 PM

"if I were to use iTunes to get a specific song and then dragged it to my desktop where it becomes an mp3 file, would I be able to put it on my Zen V?"

You mean the iTunes store or a song from your own iTunes library?
I use a Samsung K5 and all I do is make a desktop folder called K5....I then open itunes and drag the songs I want to that K5 folder and then drag the folder to my K5....so yes,that works so long as the songs are mp3 and not aac.

4) The site talks about a thing called Zencast... Does that mean that podcasts don't work on Zen Vs? *gasp*(addicted to my mugglecast)

Almost all 'podcasts' are mp3's and will work on any player. Pod,zen...it's just a lable. As long as the content you want is in a format compatible with your player it will work. I do the same thing w/ podcasts....I download them in itunes and then drag them to desktop.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Location: a hole in the ground (sometimes it feels like that at least)

I mean a song from my own iTunes library... either bought from the store or (more likely) downloaded from one of my CDs.

So most important thing is for it to be in mp3 format? Oh, great! Thank you for the help.

Wait... so what's the deal with that program? And what's MTP?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hiya, Sophia!

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol. It is, in a nutshell, a protocol that allows an MTP device to use its own filesystem, and allows the device to communicate to the host computer what its capabilities are. It also allows for automatic syncing of whatever licences are required for listening to songs bought at online stores. Unfortunately, as you're on a Mac, this won't be of any benefit to you.

The program you are talking about is called XNJB. It is a music library manager for MacOS that allows syncing and use of MTP-based players.