android
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Zen Touch Firmware Problem Fix

Hello,
I recently tried to upgrade my zen touch to the 2.11 p4sure firmware version.. but during the upgrade it froze and i had to unplug it.. now whenever i turn on the zen touch .. it starts up to a screen where have 4 option..
clean up
format all
reload firmware
reboot

i cleaned up first then formatted it then did the reload firmware.. and then plug the cable in the computer.. the computer recognizes it as the zen touch but .. the upgrade program still says .. your player is disconnected please connect your player..
How do i fix this issue.. please help im tormented!!

Sincerely

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you try to reload the firmware from the Recovery Mode menu, it will tell you to have the update program ready. At this time, plug your player into your computer. The word "docked" should show up at the bottom of the screen. Try it then.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Thank you for replying to my post.
But unfortunately.. that doesnt work either.. it just keeps saying recovery mode on the player's screen and the computer says .. Creative Zen Touch .. but the upgrade program does not detect the player.
When i go to windows explorer.. it tells me that the touch is connected and has 20.0 mb free.. which is not right.. since it should have 19.7 something free.
So i guess the firmware issue is the problem here.
Please help

Old 06-08-2007, 04:57 PM

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I think that what has happened is that the Zen Plays-for-Sure update erased the old firmware and then froze - leaving the Zen with no firmware at all. I have put an email out to the Creative Customer Service, but as I have never worked with them before, I don't know if they will be helpful at all.

This is really biting at me because I'm going to Florida in a week, a road trip with my friends, and I honestly can't imagine an 11 hour drive from Tennessee without my music. If anybody here has a clue as to how to fix this, it would just be wonderful. Later!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
I'm having the EXACT same problem. I think that what has happened is that the Zen Plays-for-Sure update erased the old firmware and then froze - leaving the Zen with no firmware at all. I have put an email out to the Creative Customer Service, but as I have never worked with them before, I don't know if they will be helpful at all.

This is really biting at me because I'm going to Florida in a week, a road trip with my friends, and I honestly can't imagine an 11 hour drive from Tennessee without my music. If anybody here has a clue as to how to fix this, it would just be wonderful. Later!
I understand man.. im so frustrated about this.. i am blaming myself for doing this..
but please let me know what happens with the customer service rep.
Thanx

Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Well, I got the thing fixed, and I might be able to help a bit!

As far as I can tell there is no definite way to do this. The first thing you need to make sure of is that you ARE NOT using Media Player 11 on your computer. If you have it installed go to the Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and roll it back to Media Player 10. Make sure that you do this to Media Player 11 and Media Player 11 Runtime in the software list. I also made sure that all of my Creative software was uninstalled. Open up your device manager and there should be an unknown device listed. Uninstall the device (it may be registering as Zen Touch or something, but uninstall it anyway). Open up the firmware update (the plays-for-sure one) and when it tells you to select language click on the Reload Firmware button in your player's recovery menu (before you select a language). When the message comes up on the player saying to upload the firmware click through the language thing and hopefully the firmware update will now allow you to press the install button.

It worked for me but it seems to be very touchy anyway, so just try messing around with stuff. I think the most important thing is to have Media Player 11 rolled back to 10, and make sure that the device is uninstalled in device manager before trying to do anything. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Default found a fix

Hello
had the same problem but the following link has a fix that work

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...8102451AAiPliB

I did exactly as it said then I could upgrade. Got worried because it stopped at the end and I though I was dead but when I rebooted the touch it was working again

Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Thanks so much, Sledfang, for your instructions. I've been trying for 6 weeks to fix my Zen Micro. I even took the thing apart and used an adapter to access and format the hard drive. However, your instruction were right on and fixed my player in just a few minutes. And all my music that I was afraid I had lost was still there. THANKS!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Don't toss it yet.

After 2 weeks of trying various computers and numerous posted “solutions”, this is what finally worked for me. I am not guaranteeing that you’ll have success.
In the recovery mode on the zen touch…
Cleaned all then reformatted
Found my wife’s old laptop that had no creative hardware or files on it. This computer was not running Microsoft® Windows Media® Player 10 or 11 but it did have an earlier version.
Downloaded the newest (plays for sure) firmware, from the creative.com site,http://support.creative.com/download...ls=1&bLatest=1 to the laptop. You need to download the latest firmware for it to work on a Win Xp computer.
Attached the zen to a USB 1 port. I don’t know if that made a difference. It was recognized as a MTP device.
On the laptop, I clicked on the firmware icon. A language window appeared. Put my cursor over English but didn’t click yet.
At that point- on the zen touch-clicked reload firmware.
When the zen touch prompted to begin reload, I immediately clicked on English.
That’s it. It worked. Good luck! Might work on other zens as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM

So, had the same problem as Original Poster.
Here are a list of things i have done:
Rolled back my windows media player to v9
Unistalled all my creative drivers and software.

When i connect the device the new hardware wizard starts and of course I cant install anything. So it says device may not work properly+ problem occured and when i try and reload my firmware my comp is not recognising my zen at all. Any advice?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What Operating System are you using, WinXP?

If the Touch has the PlaysForSure firmware installed, it will be turned into an MTP compatable device. For MTP to be installed on WinXP, you will need WMP10 or WMP11 in order for the OS to have the proper drivers and framework for the Touch to work.

If you do not have the PlaysForSure firmware installed on the Touch, you will need to have Creative's driver/software installed in order for the OS to detect the Touch and allow it to function correctly.

Without the driver loading with no error, no software will detect the ZMP.

(See here for all Creative Zen Touch software).

Good luck and welcome toe ABI anorkeest!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Creative Zen Touch Firmware BIG PROBLEM!!!!! HELPPPP

I've followed all the instructions to solve the upgrading firmware problem. but i cant solve it.

my windows never recognized the player as "MTP Device", it always showed it as "creative Zen Touch", even at other notebook (my friend has one that never instaled creative things, and it's Windows XP SP2 with MPLayer 10) it's always shown as "CREATIVE ZEN TOUCH"

i already try to change the steps, but nothing works.
I cant upgrade the firmware to playsforsure!!!

At last, i cant access to the recovery menu in the player.
I already use the reset button a thousand times, but never appear.
And in the instructions i found, they always mention the Recovery menu for us to click in the "reload firmware" before we chose the language in the firmware update, right?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
my windows never recognized the player as "MTP Device", it always showed it as "creative Zen Touch", even at other notebook (my friend has one that never instaled creative things, and it's Windows XP SP2 with MPLayer 10) it's always shown as "CREATIVE ZEN TOUCH"
That is what it should be recognized as. It shouldn't show MTP Device. In Device Manager, what category is it being listed under?

Quote:
I cant upgrade the firmware to playsforsure!!!
Keep in mind, the Touch will not be a MTP compatable device (and listed under Portable Devices in Device Manager) until the PlaysForSure firmware is installed. If you do not have the PlaysForSure firmware installed, you will need the drivers that I have listed in post 11.

Quote:
At last, i cant access to the recovery menu in the player.
I already use the reset button a thousand times, but never appear.
To get into Recovery Mode:

Detach the player from the PC and ensure that it is turned off.
Connect the power supply to the player.
Hold down the Play/Pause
button while inserting a paper clip into the Reset hole on your player.
Wait for about 4 seconds and remove the paper clip.
Keep holding the Play/Pause button until the Rescue Mode screen appears.
After the recovery mode has started, release the Play/Pause button.

Quote:
And in the instructions i found, they always mention the Recovery menu for us to click in the "reload firmware" before we chose the language in the firmware update, right?
Do not mess with anything on the computer until after the firmware is erased in Recovery Mode and it says it is ready for the new firmware. Then execute the firmware upgrade that you should have downloaded prior.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Default bobbyRS thanks and help me please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
That is what it should be recognized as. It shouldn't show MTP Device. In Device Manager, what category is it being listed under?

Keep in mind, the Touch will not be a MTP compatable device (and listed under Portable Devices in Device Manager) until the PlaysForSure firmware is installed. If you do not have the PlaysForSure firmware installed, you will need the drivers that I have listed in post 11.

To get into Recovery Mode:

Detach the player from the PC and ensure that it is turned off.
Connect the power supply to the player.
Hold down the Play/Pause
button while inserting a paper clip into the Reset hole on your player.
Wait for about 4 seconds and remove the paper clip.
Keep holding the Play/Pause button until the Rescue Mode screen appears.
After the recovery mode has started, release the Play/Pause button.

Do not mess with anything on the computer until after the firmware is erased in Recovery Mode and it says it is ready for the new firmware. Then execute the firmware upgrade that you should have downloaded prior.
so... let's resume the process:

I wil have to:

1- Uninstall all the Creative software in my pc.
2- Uninstall the WMPlayer 11 and the Runtime and install WMP10.
3- Install the Creative zen touch driver.
4- Unplug the zen touch from the pc, in order to access the Recovery Menu so i can erase the older firmware and get the message "ready for new firmware".
5- Plug the Zen touch to the PC and run the Upgrade Firmware Plays-for-sure in the PC.

Is that it?

How my pc will recognize the zen touch if it does not have any firmware?

I'm sorry for the troube here. I would apreciate it if you could tell me the right steps in their right sequence. Cause it seems that i wont solve this problem until i get the idea of the sequence.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In Device Manager, what category is it being listed under and is the driver installing with no error?

1. Yes.
2. Uninstalling WMP11 may already roll it back to WMP10. If it does, you won't have to install WMP10. If it rolls back to WMP9, then yes you will have to install WMP10.
3. If you already have a good connection (verify in Device Manager that the driver is installing properly with no error), then you shouldn't need the non-MTP driver since it already has it.
4. Try downloading the latest PlaysForSure firmware and just execute it with the Touch already connected to the computer with a good connection (again check Device Manager). Keep in mind if you have media files on your Touch, they will get erased when upgrading to the PlaysForSure firmware, so make sure you back them up to the computer before installing.

If this process doesn't work, then try booting into Recovery Mode and erasing the current firmware (step 4) first before upgrading. The device is firmware independent when it comes to being recognized in Recovery Mode.

Hope this helps.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM

I have followed all of the above steps, and still have the following symptoms:

- The device, when turned on, goes to Recovery Mode
- Using the "Reload Firmware" option takes me to a prompt to erase previous firmware, takes about 2 seconds to erase, and then says "Start firmware update now!" which lasts for 1 second and then goes right back to the Recovery Mode menu.
- When I plug in the player, Windows sees it. It shows up in My Computer as "MTP Device"
- When I use the PFS firmware update program, it says "Your player is not connected."
- No matter how I try to time the prompts with the Touch's recovery menu, I still get "Your player is not connected." I have done it maybe 30 times now, trying the delayed "English" strategy, running through the menus and the PFS updater in every imaginable combination; the updater still does not find the player, even though it is still showing in My Computer.

Note: I'm on Windows XP, SP2, WMP10

Old 08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The updater will not see it if the driver loading is listed as just "MTP Device". You need to get the correct driver for it loaded. It should be listed as Creative Zen Touch/Xtra.

Did you already have a PFS firmware installed or was it a non-PFS version? If you do not have the PlaysForSure firmware installed on the Touch, you will need to have Creative's driver installed in order for the OS to detect the Touch and allow it to function correctly. Before installing it though.....with it connected andin Device Manager, right click on the MTP Device entery and Uninstall the driver. Unplug the Zen and install the driver. Reboot and try to see if it gets detected correctly.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 AM

The previously installed firmware was not PFS. I now uninstalled it from device manager, then reinstalled the latest creative zen touch drivers. Now it appears in both My Computer and the Device Manager as "Creative Zen Touch" when plugged in. However, as soon as it is plugged in I lose the Recovery Mode menu, and it instead shows the docking icon in the center of the screen. The PFS firmware update still says device is not connected.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Make sure you select the Reload Frmware option first and connect to the computer when it prompts to do so.
Also make sure you have downloaded the correct firmware from Creative's site. The wrong one won't install.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm using this firmware

The problem I have with the Reload Firmware option is that the prompt is very brief. "Start Firmware Update Now!" only appears on screen for 1 second before it goes back to the recovery menu. If I plug it in, it immediately goes to the "docked" icon. Running the PFS firmware upgrade at any time during these actions still gives the "Your player is not connected..." message