android
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, good. That's the right one.

Yeah, it shouldn't be going back to the main menu like that. It should be staying at that screen until you load the firmware. It's acting like it doesn't detect the hard drive. If you do a Cleanup, does it error out or go really fast as well? Do you have any files on the Touch?

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-02-2008, 10:56 AM

There used to be files on it, but ever since the first failed firmware upgrade (which caused this entire situation), it shows as just a 20 mb "Generic Hierarchical." If I select "1. Clean Up," it gives me the prompt to continue, then says "Scan disk..." for 5 seconds, then flashes "100%" briefly. Then it says "Cleaning" for about a half second and goes back to the recovery menu.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try selecting Format from the menu. This will erase any files on it, but upgrading to the PFS firmware will do this anyway. If it doesn't error out, then it might be what is needed for the firmware to load. The firmware is stored on the hard drive. The 20MB partition you see is the partition set aside for the firmware. When you see it this way, it is because no firmware is installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 AM

After I select "Format All," and choose yes at the prompt, it says "Formatting..." for 5 seconds, then flashes "Freespace 38133.7M" for half a second before returning to the menu. But it does nothing to solve the other problems, the symptoms remain the same.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Make sure you have all of the Creative software uninstalled.
Do you have another computer to try connecting the Touch with to see if it gets detected properly?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Hi there,

I had the same problem as above. I tried to update the firmware, but then the computer lost track of the Zen Touch (because it changed to MTP?) and now I cant seem to connect it at all. For this weekend I am at my parents home, I used my dad's laptop and I can connect the Zen Touch, it loads, says Zen Touch, then MTP, then Zen Touch then it says the drivers have been installed and it is listed as Zen Touch and docked at the moment I connect.

But, I tried to load of the firmware from the computer. These are the steps I take:
- Turn on Zen Touch
- Clean up
- Format
- Press Reload Firmware
- Press Yes
- Connect the Touch to the usb at the moment it pops up the message load the drivers off the usb (for 1 sec) and at the same time I press a language in the firmware update program. But it doesn't work, my Touch switches back to the docked drawing and the firmware program says the device is not connected.

Any other options?

edit - I forgot about WMP10.. it was running 11, i rolled back to 10 and guess what, it works now!

Now a final question, is my computer at home going to recognize my player now? And if not, how do I solve that?

Last edited by Maniack28; 08-08-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Maniack28. Welcome.

Good to hear you resolved your issue yourself. Some of the older firmware updater programs have issues working correctly (detecting the device) when WMP11 is installed. Once you have WMP11 uninstalleed and rolled back to WMP10, they work just fine (like you mentioned).

As long as your computer at home is Vista or WinXP with WMP10 or WMP11 installed, it should be able to recognize and use the Touch just fine. WMP10/WMP11 will turn XP into an MTP compliant Operating System for use with MTP Devices like the Touch (with the PlaysForSure firmware installed). Vista supports MTP natively.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM

hi i've been having the same firmware problems with my zen touch, i've tried pretty much everything but nothing has worked for me yet. i could just be an idiot but i need some help. i'm on a laptop that i've only got for a few days and it has WinXP with SP2 and Media Player 10 and has never had any of the creative software on it. my computer at home has the same thing but it still has the creative software from when my zen actually worked. like i said i really need some help with this.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello frogmandude. Welcome.

What exactly have you tried? Do you have an Xtra or Touch? Did you previously have the PlaysForSure firmware installed or just the regular non-PFS firmware? Do you have a good connection with the device? With the device booted into Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer and check Device Manager. Do you see the device listed in any of the categories? Does it show an error over it?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM

Unhappy

I have the EXACT same symptoms as Roark. Still trying different combinations......

**UPDATE**

Ok, I have successfully fixed this under WinXP Service Pack *3* <-- not a typo.
I removed Windows Media Player 11 which brought be back to 9.
Rebooted.
I connected, then uninstalled the device from Device Manager.
Installed Windows Media Player 10 - You can still get the standalone installer from oldversion.com
Rebooted.
This time when connecting the Touch, it appears in a different category and detects properly.
Ran ZenTouchP4S_PCFW_LB_2_11_01.exe
This time the upgrade option became available (but you may need to use the hold Play/Pause + paperclip)
When attempting to update it said the device was in use by another application or program.
Opened Task Manager and ended the process for Windows Media Player. (wmplayer.exe)
Clicked upgrade again and it worked!

Notes:

- Opening the Erase/Upgrade Firmware menu was not needed for me.
- I tried a few times with Media Player 9 as I read about other successes, but this was key for me, you seem to need 10.
- Now that the new firmware is on, I can successfully connect this to my Vista machine and see the full space again (20G)

Last edited by Doomsday; 08-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Unhappy Help!!! Im going crazy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
Well, I got the thing fixed, and I might be able to help a bit!

As far as I can tell there is no definite way to do this. The first thing you need to make sure of is that you ARE NOT using Media Player 11 on your computer. If you have it installed go to the Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and roll it back to Media Player 10. Make sure that you do this to Media Player 11 and Media Player 11 Runtime in the software list. I also made sure that all of my Creative software was uninstalled. Open up your device manager and there should be an unknown device listed. Uninstall the device (it may be registering as Zen Touch or something, but uninstall it anyway). Open up the firmware update (the plays-for-sure one) and when it tells you to select language click on the Reload Firmware button in your player's recovery menu (before you select a language). When the message comes up on the player saying to upload the firmware click through the language thing and hopefully the firmware update will now allow you to press the install button.

It worked for me but it seems to be very touchy anyway, so just try messing around with stuff. I think the most important thing is to have Media Player 11 rolled back to 10, and make sure that the device is uninstalled in device manager before trying to do anything. Good luck!
what plays-for-sure God im such a ditz! i dont understand what to do at all i keep trying everything! i connect the darn thing and it just charges it. My pc wont even recognize it as a portable device or nothing. Its stuck on that recovery mode screen and I cleaned it i formatted it i reloaded the firmware and rebooted i am very upset at this thing. wont someone please help me!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Doomsday. Welcome.

Quote:
Ok, I have successfully fixed this under WinXP Service Pack *3* <-- not a typo.
There isn't any reason why the Touch shouldn't work when SP3 is installed for WinXP (assuming everything else like MTP is in working order).

Quote:
Opened Task Manager and ended the process for Windows Media Player. (wmplayer.exe)
Very good catch! This seems to cause problems for may people. Nothing WMP related should be running in the background at all.

Quote:
I tried a few times with Media Player 9 as I read about other successes, but this was key for me, you seem to need 10.
Yeah, WMP9 will not work. In order to get WinXP MTP compliant to work with MTP devices (and ones with PFS firmware installed), either WMP10 or WMP11 is required to be installed. MTP and the Windows Media Framework is built-into those two versions of WMP. Even if you do not plan to use WMP for managing your files and syncing, you will still need one or the other installed.

Quote:
Now that the new firmware is on, I can successfully connect this to my Vista machine and see the full space again (20G)
Sounds good!. Vista has native support for MTP, so you shouldn't have to mess around with any additional software at all in order to use an MTP device with it.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello kekis. Welcome to ABI! PlaysForSure was basically a certification from Microsoft for portable devices to meet requirements for being an MTP Device.

Keep in mind that when you select Reload Firmware from the Recovery Mode menu, the firmware is only erased. The firmware isn't really reloaded until you then connect it to the computer and execute a new firmware installation from either the downloaded firmware file from Creative's website or using their Recovery Tool software. After you connect the ZVM to the computer to load the firmware, make sure that the driver is installing correctly within Device Manager. It should be detected as the Zen Vision M and under the Portable Devices category.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 AM

First of all, my knowledge of PC's etc is very limited, so when answering, can you make it as easy to understand as possible. I have a Creative Zen Touch and have just bought a new lap top that runs Vista and has Windows Media player 11 installed. I wanted to update the firmware, everything is backed up on an external HD

Following advice on the Creative forums, on my old laptop that runs WMP11, I uninstalled WMp11, Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0.0, restarting before doing each one and ticking all boxes as advised, this rolled the machine back to WMP10

However, something went wrong when updating firmware earlier

Everything locked I assume before the firmware was fully installed. Because I could go no further, I had to disconnect the player from the laptop. I'm now left with a player that has the on/off switch lit, but nothing on the screen. I have tried pressing the reset button, the blue light goes out, but as soon as I release the reset button, the blue light comes on again, but still nothing on the screen.

I have found a thread on recovery mode, but to do that, I need to have the player off. Because my player is neither on or off, it appears that this recovery process can't begin

My mind tells me that power is there, so if I leave it "on", the battery will eventually expire, then the player will be in the "off" mode

Is there a way of "short-circuiting" this process?

If not, is it likely that the recovery mode will succeed?

Any help will be appreciated

Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 AM

Looks like the zen is knackered. I left it until the light went out. Tried the reset button while off (more in desperation than anything else). No success!

Plugged it into the mains, the blue light comes on, but nothing on the screen and the blue light DOESN'T flash to indicate that it's charging. The reset button had no effect either. Any advice, or thoughts?

Is it worth sending to Creative, or do I put it down to experience and start looking at a new player?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello highwaymana31. Welcome to ABI.

Quote:
I'm now left with a player that has the on/off switch lit, but nothing on the screen. I have tried pressing the reset button, the blue light goes out, but as soon as I release the reset button, the blue light comes on again, but still nothing on the screen.
It sounds like you have a hardware issue going on there that may require service for repair.

Quote:
Is there a way of "short-circuiting" this process?
You can try opening up the Touch and disconnecting the battery. Leave it disconnected for a few minutes and then reconnect.

Quote:
I left it until the light went out. Tried the reset button while off (more in desperation than anything else). No success!
If the Touch has ran out of battery power, then a reset (which will power off the device) will not work since the Touch wasn't on and you still cannot power it back on.

Quote:
Plugged it into the mains, the blue light comes on, but nothing on the screen and the blue light DOESN'T flash to indicate that it's charging. The reset button had no effect either. Any advice, or thoughts?
It sounds like a possible mainboard or battery issue. I would leave it plugged in for a couple of days to see if it begins charging (flashing) or eventually turns on. It may take a while since you are charging a powered off device through a USB port which puts out a really low charging current.

If leaving it plugged in for a while doesn't help, you can try replacing the battery (shouldn't cost much; look here). If all else fails, you can always have it repaired from someone like Creative. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Default Hello Everybody

This is a nice Forum here..

So. im from switzerland and i have exacly the same problem.

My Zen Touch was stuck during the PFS upgrade.
and now it is in Recovery Mode and recognised as MTP device.

now i want to reload any Firmware, but it says "player not connectet"

i have XP SP2 and WMP 10....

is there any solution???

Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome joeschti.

- With the Zen plugged in, open Device Manager, and expand the Portable Devices category.
- Right click on the Zen's entry and select Uninstall.
- After the driver is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen.
- Wait a couple minutes and then reconnect the Zen.
- Open Device Manager again to verify that the driver installed and loaded without error.
- If it did, you should see the Zen under My Computer as a Portable Device.
- Execute the firmware program again to reinstall the firmware.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 AM

fishing for tips, too... (wonderful to see that there is this forum!!)
After several days of trying to do it myself, I have reached the end of my nerves and could use some external brainpower here.

my player is from 2004. It has been crashing for a while now and I spent a whole day trying to take the music off, then found out about how to clean up. just after I had cleaned it and went to restart, it told me there was a problem with the firmware.
I reformated since the music was off it anyway and followed the steps (at least 20 times) as above:

-uninstalled wmp 11 rebooted and installed wmp 10, rebooted.
-uninstalled the player and disconnected the cable
-uninstalled all creative software (not sure if I shouldn't have uninstalled the driver, though?) and rebooted
-uninstalled all usb root hubs (including the mouse!) and rebooted

when I plug it back it in, it is still recognized as zen touch ?, but isn't recognized by the firmware (not connected) and "docked" doesn't appear on the player screen.

I have xp sp3 did not formerly have pfs, but thought for some reason it would be a good idea to upgrade to the latest version, without informing myself beforehand... (stupido...)

does anyone have an idea what I might be overseeing here?!

Regards,

fbw

Last edited by fairbankswinter; 11-17-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome fairbankswinter. What exactly is the problem you are having; just not being recognized by Windows correctly and still coming up with Firmware Error on the screen? Is it being recognized as a Zen Touch under Portable Devices in Device Manager? Is there an error over the entry for it in Device Manager? How is it recognized when booted into Recovery Mode and then connected to the computer?

Zen FAQ