android
Old 06-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Smile Newbie Video Guide

Hi there, I'm new to the ABi forums, so I thought a good way to introduce myself would be with a guide! Here is, my Official Newbie Video Guide!

So, you've just bought your brand new Samsung YP-T9. But of course, there's practically nothing on it. You go and take a look at the fancy videos that come with it, and you're ready to load videos on it.

The easiest way to get videos, is obviously a P2P program, such as BitTorrent, eMule, and others. However, it's not always easy to find the videos you want, let alone in AVI format, to transfer them over to the player.

Another easy, but rather timely way to rip videos off of YouTube & Google Video (others may work, try for yourself) is by using: http://www.vixy.net
(Thank you to Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander for this suggestion)

But, if you want ANY video of your choice at a HIGH quality, read on!
How do we get started?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step One

So, let's get started, you'll have the ability to get practically ANY video you'd like. First thing's first. Open up and bookmark this extremely helpful link:
http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php
Using this tool, you can take videos from most Streaming Video sites, such as Youtube, Google Video, DailyMotion, etc.
I suggest you bookmark this link for future use.

Step Two

Go find your video! Check out any of the sites that you can download from, find the list by clicking the drop-down box where it says "Any Site".

However, personally, I suggest using DailyMotion (http://www.dailymotion.com) because they offer high quality videos that will display perfectly on your T9.
If you can't find it at DailyMotion, try Google Video next. They offer quality videos aswell. If all else fails, and you don't mind watching low quality video, head to YouTube.

Step Three

Once you've found the video you want to use, copy the URL Address.
(Remember, this applies no matter where you are, YouTube, Google Video, etc. ALWAYS copy the URL)

And paste it into the VideoDownloader address bar.

And click the Download Button. Now, in a few seconds you should see something pop up below. From here, right click the "Download Link" Button, and go to "Save Target As" (or the equivalent in your browser)

Name this file what you'll remember, and save it somewhere you'll remember. Now you have your video saved as an FLV file. However, we need to convert it to an AVI file to load it to the YPT9, so let's get converting!

Step Four

Now you should have a couple videos saved as FLVs. Let's get them onto your Samsung MP3 player! Now, there are a couple of ways you can do this. There are many programs that will convert FLV to AVI. Try just typing "FLV to AVI" in Google and see what comes up. I suggest you try a couple programs to see which you like best, or just use the one I've provided.

The program we will be using is called Riva FLV Encoder. It is a freeware program, meaning you can use it as much as you'd like, without ever having to pay! You can download your free copy here:
http://www.download.com/Riva-FLV-Enc...-10320097.html
(No spyware/viruses/etc)

Install and open the program, and you should see a screen like this.

1) Click "Browse" under the "Input" section, locate your FLV file where you saved it earlier.
2) Adjust the settings to the following. You do this so it converts fast and is only as good as your player can handle.
3) By default, the output will say "xxx.flv", (xxx being your filename) you need to change this to either say "xxx.avi" or "xxx.mpg". Both work fine.
4) Click the Encode button, and the file will convert! This should take anywhere from 20 seconds to 4 minutes, depending on the length of your movie. Your final file will be in the same place as your FLV was. You can now delete the FLV.

Now, open up Samsung Media Studio, and transfer over your AVI/MPG file, and enjoy!
Remember, it will run a bit choppier than what the original movie was, this is because is what the MP3 Player can handle. You may notice the sound is a bit off the movie, again, this is because of the 15 fps conversion.

Note: If you have troubles when you try to transfer your file over to your MP3 Player, having an error such as "Codec not found," you'll have to get the K-Lite Codec Pack, available FREE here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_...hp?d=3505&s=95
(Again, no viruses or spyware)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this guide was useful to someone.
I'm sorry for any spelling errors, I'm only fourteen. :P

If you have any questions or concerns, PM me. If you have any feedback, post it! Thank you.

Updates:

06/16/07 - Added note on Vixy.net, Realigned
06/17/07 - Re-wrote section four, using new freeware program.

Last edited by dfkt; 07-23-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Update 2

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2007, 03:41 PM

That was helpful
But i thought SMS turned it into a playable file 4 the T9 already?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
That was helpful
But i thought SMS turned it into a playable file 4 the T9 already?
You can see if it will work for you, however, on my end it will not convert FLV files to SVI.
On my version of SMS, these are the supported file types.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Oh
Well i havnt downloaded any videos yet, so i dont know if it'll work for me or not im still in the process of downloading tons of music =p

Old 06-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Very comprehensive guide. An easier way to get flash videos into avi, mp4, or mov is to copy the URL to http://vixy.net. It does the conversion for you, then lets you download the video.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 PM

My SMS won't convert MP4 videos; all I've been able to bring across is AVI. I;m running version 5.1.5.3.

--Welmoed

Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welmoed View Post
My SMS won't convert MP4 videos; all I've been able to bring across is AVI. I;m running version 5.1.5.3.

--Welmoed
Are you still able to import MP4 files into SMS? If so it's because .mp4 is simply an extension or container format for the encoded data inside (for example it may be MPEG4 + AAC). SMS may not like this, so convert it with another program before putting it back in SMS.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Good tutorial, but save the last sentence in red, really has nothing to do with the Samsung T9.
Creative Zen Micro 5 GB
iPod Video 30 GB
Sandisk Sansa M250 512 MB
Sandisk SDMX 256 MB
Centon 128 MB

Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

Good tutorial, the pics were very helpful. As Zedd stated, you should tell people to use http://www.vixy.net its alot faster, and theres no need to download any programs

Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM

Ummm how do you use that program and also do you still have to put it through sms t-nine?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 PM

I've never heard of this myself, it seems good. However, what does it all support? Like, is there a list of websites you can download from, or is it just YouTube?

And when I tried looked into the "Articles about this service" it turns out their hosting account is suspended?

I'll try this out though. It seems like a sort of hidden gem?
The only concern is not having control, you can't set the quality/bitrates.
How is the output quality?

Old 06-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Update: I test Vixy.net, It seems it only supports YouTube downloading, which immediately put me off, because YouTube is such low quality, it almost puts your YP-T9 to shame. It can display much better.

I chose to convert a 4:22 video off of YouTube, and set it to convert on Vixy. After timing it, the actual conversion from start to finish took just under seven minutes, but it was easy. But, I wasn't done. Now I have to download the video off their server. Downloading the video took about eleven minutes, running at around 12-15 kbps speed.

So in whole, it was like eighteen minutes, not exactly fast, but I will mention it's incredibly easy, if you're willing to wait.

To be honest, I'd still reccommend the other way, for two reasons:
- Takes less time
- Better quality videos, more selection of videos available

Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I found when using divx encoded avi the output quality is similar to that of the flash video on the site. Vixy works with Youtube, Google Video and other sites, but not every site that you come across.

Assassassin, just paste the URL of the download page in the yellow field and hit start.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
I found when using divx encoded avi the output quality is similar to that of the flash video on the site. Vixy works with Youtube, Google Video and other sites, but not every site that you come across.
Sounds cool.
Added to intro of the guide, giving credit to you of course.
It's not for me, but that could just be because I'm so used to my method, I've gotten fast & efficient at it.

Also updated the guide, doing some centering and spacing to make it easier to read, I hope.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 PM

Updated to use a new FREEWARE program, so I've completely re-written step four, again, trying to keep it user-friendly.
This is a major improvment because the old program only allowed 3 uses, this allows how ever many you'd like.

Guys, please leave comments, or any problems you're facing, I'm sure myself or one of the friendly T9 forum members would be more than happy to help you!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander View Post
Are you still able to import MP4 files into SMS? If so it's because .mp4 is simply an extension or container format for the encoded data inside (for example it may be MPEG4 + AAC). SMS may not like this, so convert it with another program before putting it back in SMS.
I can use the "open file" command and bring files into the SMS library on my PC. However, when I try to drag them over to the T9, I get the following error message:
"ActiveMovie Window: SelfMV.exe -- Unable to Locate Component. This application has failed to start because CoreMultimedia.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
I click OK on that box, then another pops up:
"Decoding codec unavailable for conversion. Please install the correct decoding codec."
Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm NOT a Gen-X tech-savvy person. I started on a TRS-80 back in '81, and I know my way around a computer, but it's all changing so fast these days. I have no idea how to get it to work; how do you know what codec you need and what the heck is a codec anyway??
Thanks for helping a befuddled middle-aged lady.
--Welmoed

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

Alright, SelfMV.exe is SMS' "engine". This is the "program" used to convert videos from other codecs to .svi. A codec is simply a file-type. It could be a video codec: .avi, .mpg, .mov, .vob etc...
OR
audio codec: .mp3, .ogg, .wma, .MIDI etc...
First off, it telling you that it's mssing SelfMV.exe could mean a corrupt installation. Dont panic! Just goto Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>SMS--------Change/Remove>Follow the unninstal wizard, it may ask you to reboot after unninstal is complete. Re-install SMS the same way you installed it the first time. Just pop the CD in, and go through the installer wizard, again, it may ask you to re-boot when the installation is complete... Now, for the problem of missing codecs. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. So, I downloaded the XP Codec Pack from the XP Codec Pack Website. Just click on the blue square>Open>Unzip to your desktop. Double-click the .exe, and the install will start. It installs several audio/video codecs for you. When it asks you to put a checkmark in 3/4 different boxes, make sure they're all checked... Hopefully that'll solve your problem

Oh, and before I forget... Welcome to ABi!

Last edited by t-nine; 06-18-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM

Well, tried both of your solutions and am still having the same problem. I uninstalled SMS and reinstalled it from a download; let it update itself (making sure to disable virus and spyware checker, in case there would be a conflict). Got the codec file and installed it. Still getting the same error messages. Rebooted everything just to make sure.

Arrgghh.

Oh, and I only get the first error message (about the missing DLL) when trying to transfer videos. Music and pictures go over fine.

Thanks for the welcome!

--Welmoed

Last edited by Welmoed; 06-18-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 PM

I cant get vixy.net to do any google video it just says "URL resolve error. (YouTube.com is down??)" and it wont do any thing while im using IE I have to use opera to get it to work for youtube only. do you have to do something like keepvid.com and get a url to the flv file?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacesearcher251 View Post
I cant get vixy.net to do any google video it just says "URL resolve error. (YouTube.com is down??)" and it wont do any thing while im using IE I have to use opera to get it to work for youtube only. do you have to do something like keepvid.com and get a url to the flv file?
I'm not quite sure, I think I did a google video link with Vixy once.
I'd probably drop Zeddicus a PM, he was the one that stated:

Quote:

Assassassin, just paste the URL of the download page in the yellow field and hit start.