android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Question Did somebody upgrade his/her Zen V to Zen V Plus?

I was reading on different forums about people who is upgrading their own Zen V's to Zen V Plus... Is that possible? I mean, it is able to be done?

Someone in this forum did it already? How? What is need it? Did it works? Did the Radio FM option works?

Thanks people!

Last edited by warquerub; 06-26-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I missed part of my questions

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Where did you see that???

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM

I would be interested too. I was to clumsy not to read specifications, and now I am stuck with Zen V instead of plus version which was just the thing I wanted.
If Creative wants me to pay extra I will gladly do so too...

Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 AM

I also didn't read the specifications for the first time and I bought the V version. The only way to upgrade it to V Plus was the exchange of the player in local store where I bought it the very next day. Sellers didn't make any problems with it and were glad to sell more expensive version. I just had to pay the difference in prices and got new player and a new warranty. But I dunno anything about changing your model by contacting producer, you can always try ...

Old 07-26-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warquerub View Post
I was reading on different forums about people who is upgrading their own Zen V's to Zen V Plus... Is that possible? I mean, it is able to be done?

Someone in this forum did it already? How? What is need it? Did it works? Did the Radio FM option works?

Thanks people!
It is impossible to get a radio by upgrading Zen V to V plus because Its about hardware. When I dismantled my Zen V, there were some missing parts on the main board, which are in zen plus.

I also tried to upgrade my player, but the only thing i discover is that when you create in zen v folder called "Video", player loads icon for it automatically and you cant delete the folder after this. But i dont have any video created by the creative converter to try anything other.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM

What if i upgrade my firmware with Zen V Plus firmware. Then the videos should start working..

Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not possible. There are fundamental hardware differences between the two players. If the V doesn't have video decoding hardware, no firmware in the world is going to change that.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Not possible. There are fundamental hardware differences between the two players. If the V doesn't have video decoding hardware, no firmware in the world is going to change that.
I disagree. Regular V can show photos, then it has quite good video card, because the photos look nice and appear almost immediately. So the thing is in software not hardware...

Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon99 View Post
I disagree. Regular V can show photos, then it has quite good video card, because the photos look nice and appear almost immediately. So the thing is in software not hardware...
the sansa express chip have wifi and full blown video support if my memory serves me right... still dont mean there isnt other hardware parts missing which makes it impossible ever to use them

Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård View Post
the sansa express chip have wifi and full blown video support if my memory serves me right... still dont mean there isnt other hardware parts missing which makes it impossible ever to use them
That is different subject and sansa is a different player.

I am quite sure, that Zen V has same video card as Plus, so it could play videos, but it dosen't have built in radio. Why the hell should take make absolutly different player,if it is sold only for few bucks less.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You know, there's only one way to find out for sure. Try loading the V+ firmware on that thing. If it doesn't brick the player, let us know if it adds video playback capability or not.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 AM

i think i did read somewhere that creative would be providing a firmware upgrade that one would need to buy that could upgrade a v to a v plus...
or maybe i was imagining it.
chinapod shuffle 512mb

Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 PM

well, but the weight is the same...so maybe the hardware is the same too...

i dont know....very iteresting thing btw

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Talking

Hi! I have been looking in the creative firmware. These .exe-files Creative give you for upgrading consist of the firmware-load-part and a .bin firmware file (I think). I am going to compare the firmware .exe of the Zen V AND the Zen V Plus with eachother to find out what the differences are (and what part of the .exe is the binary firmware flash). If I can change the supported hardware tag (which should be somewhere in the Zen V Plus Update.exe) to that of a Zen V, this might work.
I believe there is no way of bricking the Zen, because of the recovery console thingie, you can actually remove the firmware from there.

I will post my findings soon, but first, i'll have a rest (sleep).

If there are any beta testers, please mail me at creativezenvf{at)flixite{d0ttt}com
Please be aware that any firmware I provide shall be used completely at your own risk!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Hope you will succsess

Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFliX View Post
Hi! I have been looking in the creative firmware. These .exe-files Creative give you for upgrading consist of the firmware-load-part and a .bin firmware file (I think). I am going to compare the firmware .exe of the Zen V AND the Zen V Plus with eachother to find out what the differences are (and what part of the .exe is the binary firmware flash). If I can change the supported hardware tag (which should be somewhere in the Zen V Plus Update.exe) to that of a Zen V, this might work.
I believe there is no way of bricking the Zen, because of the recovery console thingie, you can actually remove the firmware from there.

I will post my findings soon, but first, i'll have a rest (sleep).

If there are any beta testers, please mail me at creativezenvf{at)flixite{d0ttt}com
Please be aware that any firmware I provide shall be used completely at your own risk!
Hello I'm new here. And want to buy Zen v or plus, so can you write to my mail do you success? Thx

Old 09-23-2007, 05:28 AM

So any news on the upgrading so far? I think it'd be really cool if it worked