android
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Arrow Firmware Version 1.930 (Beta) Released!

NEW FIRMWARE AVAILABLE v1.9 (BETA):
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is BETA firmware and we advise only the brave and courageous to try it!

NOTE:
Performing this update will delete all music files on your player.
Please back them up if necessary.

Please read the following instructions before installing:

1) Download the executable file to your hard drive. If you browser blocks the download please click "Allow Downloads". Save the file to your desktop so you can find it easily to run it.
2) Remove the device from the USB cable and switch the device off.
3) Double click the executable file you saved in step 1) and follow the prompts on connecting the device. Do not press OK until Windows has recognized the device and Windows may pop-up a "Portable Device" and/or a "Get Connected" dialog, cancel out of those screens. After those screens have gone away, click OK on the connect device pop-up. You should see the Firmware Update option illuminated.
4) The Upgrader will show your present version and report the new version which will be installed.
5) Click "Firmware Update" and then follow the instructions carefully.

Insignia Warning (pop up):
Disconnect the USB cable from the player and the player will automatically upgrade the firmware, and the player will then power down.
Ignore the "Database Full" warning message you may see unon powering up the device. Select->System->Erase Internal Memory and then click "Yes".
Power down the device and then reconnect the USB cable.

After pressing 'OK', please click on the 'Font Update' and then disconnect the player from the USB cable.
The Fonts will automatically be installed.
OK

6) After completing the F/W update you may see a message on your MP3 player "Database full..." when you turn the unit on. Go into
Menu->Settings->System->Erase Internal Memory and then press the right
arrow button and then select yes and press the right arrow button again.
7) Close the updater application and double click it again to re-launch it.
8) Power off your device and reconnect it to your PC when prompted by the application. Click the Font Update button on the F/W Updater application and then follow the instructions.

Download New Firmware

This F/W update gives the NS-DVxG functionality similar to the Insignia Pilot except for the Bluetooth, RDS Radio and Text viewing capabilities.

The context menu is accessed by pressing and holding the play button. Please see the Pilot Manual for more details.

Very cool, Digitaldel is alive!
Long live Digitaldel!

I recommend that the player have a fresh format before both the firmware AND font update.

Last edited by Tobey; 05-19-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

This is a good update.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Digitaldel, it didn't work with Vista. It just crashes at the USB poller.

Didn't work on XP until I deleted all the internal memory and reapplied the firmware update, fonts update worked fine after the firmware update.

Love the new display and the time on screen.

Thanks!

Edit: Here is the Pilot manual page; http://www.insignia-products.com/p-2...echnology.aspx

Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Are you running SP1 or not?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Yes, SP1.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks a lot for this pleasant suprise! Was able to load the firmware successfully and will play with it. One quirky thing I noticed it shows up on My Computer as Telechips drive now? Hopefully there will be a changes list when the official comes out. So far can see it looks much more graphically pleasing. Thanks for not forgetting about the player insignia and digitaldel...

*UPDATE* Well after more testing I can see it takes a little time to adjust to this new GUI which is the one on the Pilot I understand. Initially I thought the folder browser was not showing my folders but I found you have to use right to expand the folder list. One important thing that has been addressed that I really like is bookmarking. You can bookmark audio and also I love the fact it seems audio files, audible and videos remember where you left off.

Last edited by daking; 04-10-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: updates

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
This F/W update gives the NS-DVxG functionality similar to the Insignia Pilot except for the Bluetooth, RDS Radio and Text viewing capabilities.
The content menu is accessed by pressing and holding the play button.
Please see the Pilot Manual for more details.
It wasn't mentioned but I assume that Video-Out will also not work or be suppported on the NS-DV?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daking View Post
It wasn't mentioned but I assume that Video-Out will also not work or be suppported on the NS-DV?
Similarly, what are we to make of potential (micro)SDHC support?

Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 AM

this is pretty cool but i found some problems too. some of my pictures that i had on it before i updated wont work one the new firmware it says "not supported" where the numbers normally are and when i want to view them it just forewords me to the next photo. is there anyway i could re format the picture to make it work

Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 PM

i cant complain...

this new firmware is P-E-R-F-E-C-T

Insignia rocks!!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierbrent5530 View Post
this is pretty cool but i found some problems too. some of my pictures that i had on it before i updated wont work one the new firmware it says "not supported" where the numbers normally are and when i want to view them it just forewords me to the next photo. is there anyway i could re format the picture to make it work
Its Possible your player corrupted those files on the firmware update. Its a good idea to erase the memory and reformat the player before update I usually do. Can you still view those pictures when the player is connected to PC? If you can you could try move them back to PC and then the player.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Thank-you

Just upgraded the firmware.
Looks great! I see improvements in all areas. Will have to wait and see if USB error from the 1.2 firmware is resolved.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Hello all,
The Insignia Pilot manual indicates that viewing of .txt files is supported. After successfully updating the firmware of my NS-DV to 1.9b I tried adding a .txt file(135kB) to the root of the folder structure of the device (MSC mode), created a separate folder called "Text" and added the file there, and also tried adding a smaller .txt file but the file and folder browser cannot see any of the files when I try to browse.
Is the Text viewer feature supported at all in version 1.9b of the firmware? If so, how can I get it to work.

Thanks,
bit
PS. Great update by the way!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit View Post
Hello all,
The Insignia Pilot manual indicates that viewing of .txt files is supported. After successfully updating the firmware of my NS-DV to 1.9b I tried adding a .txt file(135kB) to the root of the folder structure of the device (MSC mode), created a separate folder called "Text" and added the file there, and also tried adding a smaller .txt file but the file and folder browser cannot see any of the files when I try to browse.
Is the Text viewer feature supported at all in version 1.9b of the firmware? If so, how can I get it to work.

Thanks,
bit
PS. Great update by the way!
i dont think so...

but.. HEY is a BETA so maybe the full version of the Firmware or maybe the 2.0 firmware will appear in a few weeks (or months) maybe with the .txt or RDS or more stuff

pray for it.lol

Insignia rocks!!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Text files and RDS will never be supported due to H/W contraints.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
How about lyrics display? I have my MP3's set-up for that.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldel View Post
Does this include video-out also?

Also for people want to view text try the program mentioned in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26092
It converts txt/pdf/doc etc. in to jpg. The font, color and folder can be customized. It works pretty well viewing using the folder browser on ns-dv.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

As someone who had major problems with F/W 1.2, I have to say that this update rocks!!

Here are my first 10 minutes worth of observations:

1.) The USB connection issues from F/W 1.2 appear to have been fixed. I upgraded on the same XP computer I’ve been having connection problems, and now the player boots up and connects perfectly. Wha-hoo!

2.) The new GUI is really neat. You now have 2 menu styles (Circle and Matrix), a choice of five different color backgrounds and all new icons.

3.) You can now bookmark audio files as well as video (that's worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.)

4.) You can now DELETE files from the Folder Browser.

5.) In Settings, you now have the option to slideshow Photos for a selectable duration, and now you can mute the audio while you fast scan through Video.

Overall, this new F/W is sweet! I didn't have trouble with my photos displaying or the device being listed as something other than "Insigina Video Player" in My Computer or Device Manager.

I'm not into Audible or Rhapsody, so their brand logos in the menu are not a turn on for me, neither are the new "star" ratings for music files (if a song has 1 star, why would I want to listen to it and take up space in my player?)

But my USB connection issues are fixed, the video bookmarking is way cool, and the new customizable GUI is slick.

Just remember to erase your internal memory first so you can have a clean install. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY and you upgrade with confidence!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Insignia Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daking View Post
Does this include video-out also?
The NS-DV does not contain the hardware necessary for video out.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM

Just finished updating the firmware - no problems! I'm syncing with WMP right now to reload my music files. Cool, something new to play with!

Mike