android
Old 07-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
Great.. Just installed the firmware, and that part when ok. After the update was done, I rebooted the player and I got some sort of "Invalid database" error or something, and it told me to try to format the player. So I go into Settings -> System -> Erase Internal Memory, and it formats the internal card. I turn off the player, plug the USB cable back in, hear the Windows XP "beep beep" to tell me it found a device, but I never get a drive lettter in MSC mode, or a player displayed in My Computer in MTP mode. It DOES show that the player is charging via the cable, but I can't transfer data to it! Hmmmmmmm.. I will try rebooting my PC to see if it's the PC. Keep your fingers crossed.

edit: reboot worked! whew! Time to play!

edt2: I take that back.. When I rebooted, it got me in in MSC mode only, and then after disconnecting (the proper way), I tried re-connecting and Windows did not display the device.. Hmm.

edit3: Can connect as a "Portable device" if I plug the USB cable in about half or 3/4 of the way.. THEN I can read the files but it's MTP mode, I believe.. ?
Did you update the Font? <Important!>
The firmware update is a 2 step proccess.
Each step seems to require a reboot from MSC mode.
I only rebooted for the upgrade from a "player off" position and have the OS turn on the device from USB plug-in.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 PM

I greatly appreciate this new firmware.....but....I am having the problem with the player not able to connect to the computer.

It actually does connect to the computer, but only after about 3-5 tries of unplugging and plugging back in the USB cable. I hope Insignia fixes this soon

Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM

I have the same problem - I have to replug it in a number of times before the PC picks up the connection (though the battery does charge on every try). I'm on Vista if that makes a difference.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 AM

After my upgrade to 1.2, my PC no longer recognizes my DV4G when I connect USB!

I get "Unknown Device" from the PC, and the DV4G is stuck in "Searching for PC"

The reason is that the DV4G is not properly reporting its VID and PID during USB enumeration. It reports 0000 and 0000, when it is supposed to report 19FF and 0303.

I am guessing there is either something hosed on my particular PC, or there is a subtle timing flaw in the 1.2 firmware... because it seems to work fine on my laptop... and on my 3rd PC, it works sometimes, and not others.

Insignia, please check enumeration timing for boundary conditions.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM

I was having trouble getting the automated installer to work. It kept telling me I already had the new firmware installed. I finally got it to work by putting the HOLD switch in the locked position before connecting the USB cable.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Fixed list on Feature request thread include bugs?

Tobey, beneath the Fixed/Implemented section there is the list of features changed and then there is a list of bugs... are these bugs that were fixed in the FW release ?

Also you list the request to mute while FF through video or audio as fixed and technically only half of the request is fixed. The new mute option only works for videos, not audio files. Minor but I don't want the request for the feature for audio to be dropped.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Question for the Insignia team: Have the DV4G and 1.2 passed USB logo testing? I am curious if the USB hardware and firmware have been subjected to and passed laboratory verification of the USB standard. If not, that could explain a lot, especially if a regression test was not repeated btw 1.105 and 1.200.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Insignia Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdow View Post
Tobey, beneath the Fixed/Implemented section there is the list of features changed and then there is a list of bugs... are these bugs that were fixed in the FW release ?

Also you list the request to mute while FF through video or audio as fixed and technically only half of the request is fixed. The new mute option only works for videos, not audio files. Minor but I don't want the request for the feature for audio to be dropped.

Thanks!
Yes. If it's in the "Fixed/Implemented" section, it means it was fixed in the latest version.

Sorry, I had fixed this flaw in the DAPReview version a couple of days ago. Looks like I forgot to update the ABi version as well!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM

Hi guys, I just got my Video Player for Fathers Day. It was a little frustrating getting it going since I used an existing cable and it would not download anything. Using the cable provided fixed that problem.

For me, the last upgrade made the player more buggy. I am happy to see that some of the features that I wanted were included in this release.

I absolutely love this player. I would have never picked this unit out myself, and my wife told me to feel free to go exchange it for something that I wanted. The thing that always frustrated my wife is that she knew that I had an opinion of make/model/price on anything that I really wanted, and she asked me for all of the pertinent information. I told her "You go pick me out an MP3 player, and I will keep it, just NO IPODS".

The only issue that bugs me is that the battery indicator always shows full. It would be nice if it was actually an indicator of the battery life left.

Was this problem fixed in this firmware release?

Thanks,
Neal

Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Insignia Moderator

What kind of bugs are you referring to? The player should be extremely stable with this release, assuming your unit is not defective.

The indicator isn't the most accurate for sure; but it shouldn't always show full. Give it a few more discharge/recharge cycles, and it should become a little more accurate.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM

I had a podcast that would just reset back to the beginning when fast forwarding (just one, but I only had the new firmware (pre 1.200) for about a week).

When fast forwarding, the screen would shift to the right, to the point where enough of the screen moved to the right that the non-working battery indicator would move to the left side of the screen.

I called support about the non-working battery meter and they told me to take it back to the store. I exchanged it, and the new one still had the same battery meter problem.

How common is this battery meter problem?

Neal

Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The battery meter problem is universal.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Thank you, I am surprised that the MP3 player support had no knowledge of it. I went and exchanged it for nothing.

Neal

Old 07-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Insignia Moderator

May not have been for nothing... Does this one do the same thing when playing that podcast, or fast-forwarding?

Like I said, give it a few discharge recharge cycles. The battery meter should become more accurate.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM

Default after fw update, usb cannot find

After I updated to fw 12. My PC doesn't recognize my player anymore. Other PCs find it just fine. I look in device manager and if it is there, it says driver not installed?!?!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Issues connenting to PC

I also thought I started having problems connecting the player to my notebooks after the firstware upgrade (and may have) but the wierd thing was that if my notebook (either of them) is plugged into a docking station, it won't connect. But, if I undock the notebook, and then plug the player in, it does seem to connect. And this seems fairly consistant...

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM

Smile USB works when not docked

Thanks. I hooked it up when not docked and it works. Don't know why it wont work when docked, but at least I can get it to work again.

I tried it with the USB ports on the laptop and on the docking station, neither detect, it does charge though.

Anyway After I undock it I can get it to connect easily.

I can also get it to connect if I put it in the first USB port on my docking station. It is the only one that it seems to work on. I just moved my mouse to another port and they both work. Strange that it only works in that port. oh well. I'm happy with the FW update again.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Tobey, just curious: Did you get to be a beta tester for the new FW? I would love that gig...

Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm a little concerned that Digitaldel hasn't stopped by to at least let us know that they're looking into the USB connection issues some people are having.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate all that he has done but, I'm just wondering if he's even aware of the issue.

I'm very excited about the new Firmware, I'm still at 1.104 because I LOVE my player the way it is but, if we can figure out what's going on, I'll upgrade in a minute!
Thanks.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny View Post
I'm a little concerned that Digitaldel hasn't stopped by to at least let us know that they're looking into the USB connection issues some people are having.
http://dapreview.net/e107_plugins/fo...c.php?66924.45
He is, but not on this site.
4 GB Insignia NS-DV4G
512 MB iRiver iFP-895