android
Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 PM

^ Thanks! Somehow I had missed that.

I guess he'll find his way here sooner or later

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM

FIX THIS! It's annoying me. Can anyone DOWNgrade?
4 GB Insignia NS-DV4G
512 MB iRiver iFP-895

Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 PM

I want to update but I'm scared my computer won't recognize it anymore .

Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM

Is there a firmware update for the NS-DA2G? I've got 3 of those....

Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 AM

wierd i did my update on winxp pro sp2 and its recognized fine. I recognized by linux and vista just as easily

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
May not have been for nothing... Does this one do the same thing when playing that podcast, or fast-forwarding?

Like I said, give it a few discharge recharge cycles. The battery meter should become more accurate.
The screen shifting does not happen on the stock replacement. I had the player go back to the beginning once, but I wasn't even touching the unit.

Neal

Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Insignia NS-DVxG Firmware V 1.200 readme file

Hi Tobey,

In the Readme file of the Zip file, it is addressed to Mac/Linux Users: It does not say Windows users. Is this just a typo, and can I go ahead with my upgrade. Also, it metions the root directory. Is this just 1st menu screen?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Default bass distortion...

hello, just got a ns-dv4g from woot, $65 for a refurb. I imediately upgraded to the newest 1.2 firmware. I like the player, screen looks great, sounds great except there's a lot of bass distortion on songs with, well, lots of bass. Don't know if this was a problem with older firmware. My solution: Use the custom eq settings and start the eq curve lower.
Instead of a curve like this:

1=-------------=
1--=-------=----
1''''''''''''''=''''''''''''''''''
1---------------
1---------------

do this:
1----------------
1----------------
1='''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''=
1---=-------=---
1-------=-------

and then jack up the volume to compensate, it works, since there's plenty of volume to spare. I've read posts on this forum that the volume has been raised since the last firmware so this might be a bug....raised volume levels that now causes bass distortion. But I don't know since i've only used the newest firmware.

One more problem for me, the refurb came with the best buy rapsidy disk, but there was no arcsoft video converter on the disk! Is there a link to this somewhere? Meanwhile i'm using iriverter using the pmp profile, it works, vids look great, but I think the files are bigger than they could be, about 240 megs for a hour vid.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To clarify, raygun, are you getting bass distortion with the EQ jacked up (like in your first example), or with it flat? If it distorts flat, then you have an issue. If it distorts with the bass sliders bumped up, that's simply a limitation of digital gain and not a problem with your player. The way recordings are compressed in-studio these days, there isn't much overhead in a digital audio file to push any frequency very far past 0 dB without distortion. Your solution (the second example you gave) is actually the recommended one. Or you can use a program like MP3Gain to normalize your tracks to a lower overall volume and increase the overhead. As far as I can see, the only thing Insignia can do to make a fully-boosted EQ not distort is force their equalizer to automatically reduce playback volume prior to applying changes...and I don't know if anyone really prefers that.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Hey Tobey! The new firmware fixed the random playing order from the last post i did.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15949

YAY! Now I can stop using WMP11!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM

If you aren't using WMP11, then what are you now using?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM

I tend to use Media Monkey but I sometimes use WMP because it estimates the amount of space I'll have left.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
To clarify, raygun, are you getting bass distortion with the EQ jacked up (like in your first example), or with it flat? If it distorts flat, then you have an issue. If it distorts with the bass sliders bumped up, that's simply a limitation of digital gain and not a problem with your player. The way recordings are compressed in-studio these days, there isn't much overhead in a digital audio file to push any frequency very far past 0 dB without distortion. Your solution (the second example you gave) is actually the recommended one. Or you can use a program like MP3Gain to normalize your tracks to a lower overall volume and increase the overhead. As far as I can see, the only thing Insignia can do to make a fully-boosted EQ not distort is force their equalizer to automatically reduce playback volume prior to applying changes...and I don't know if anyone really prefers that.
I have to set the lowest frequency slider several clicks below the flat line, so I think it's a problem with the player. Also, this thing has way to much volume, there's no way I could listen to music with it maxed even using my curve, so I think it's just that the after eq preamp output level is way to high. I think your talking about clipping, when the recording level of a song is to high, which is not the problem with these songs, they play fine in my other players, even with the bass eq in the plus side. In any case this fix works for me, I really dig this player. Now if it only had a text reader, and maybe a nintendo emulator, i'd be a happy camper.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryg View Post
If you aren't using WMP11, then what are you now using?
the file and folder mode.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Hmm...I'm not too sure I like the new clickwheel sensitivity. I was thinking it would probably have been better if the guys over at Insignia could have put in an option to choose what sensitivity the clickwheel is at, rather than just setting it to one setting with no choice.

Also, I find the shutdown sequence to be really redundant. It seems to take even longer now than before, and I really think it could use a refresh.

I say redundant because of that 2 - 3 second hold of the button combined with the countdown bar. I feel that they're basically doing the same job; trying to avoid an accidental shutdown. But do we really need two of them? I'd really prefer just one of the two (hold down the button 2 - 3 seconds for a shutdown, or goto the countdown bar immediately).

And more of a quibble than anything, but I find the "Good Bye" screen a bit posh and unnecessary.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Could the connecting issues with the new firmware upgrade be as simple as if a machine has a USB hub plugged into it (like a docking station or a regular hub) it won't work (regardless of where the player is plugged into) but if a machine doesn't have a USB hub plugged into it , the player will connect okay? That almost seems to be what's happening to me...

Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntF View Post
I was thinking it would probably have been better if the guys over at Insignia could have put in an option to choose what sensitivity the clickwheel is at, rather than just setting it to one setting with no choice.
I'm with you on that one.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:24 PM

I couldn't wait for the new firmware, but now I'm thinking I'll WAIT to install it until all this stuff gets settled.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Insignia Moderator

Probably not a bad idea. But keep in mind, thousands of people have downloaded this firmware, and only a handful of them have complained about the USB problem. So, it's somewhat rare. But, you could be the next one...

Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Actually, I've got no problems with my Insignia's at all. They are by far the best portable audio devices I've ever had.

The "only" thing I didn't like was the .pla file use restricted to ONE computer..

I'd like to be able to add a playlist from ANY of my computers. They ALL have WMP10.