android
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 AM

I also have the usb 'problem'. It's flaky getting it to recognise the insignia, tonight it would show in my computer, then disappear, back and forth. I had to unplug, turn it off, then reconnect about 5 times before it became stable. My motherboard has the via chipset if that helps.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Exclamation Firmware won't update

Anyone have a situation where the firmware won't update? The information screen on my NS-DV4G tells me that it's version 1.105, and the firmware updater tells me that it (the update) is version 1.2. Unfortunately, whenever I try to update the firmware, the program tells me that I have the latest (or newer) firmware already installed. I DID updgrade the firmware when I bought it 2 months ago to 1.105, but never did the 1.2 update. I tried powering down the device and rebooting my computer to start fresh but still get the same response. I DID clear the internal memory before I tried the firmware update and I don't have any memory cards installed (in case that matters). Any suggestions?

BTW - What does the "Initialize" option do. I found that on the same option screen as "Erase Internal Memory". Nothing about it in the documentaion.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM

Try updating it in MSC mode (with the hold switch on). That's what I did.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
Try updating it in MSC mode (with the hold switch on). That's what I did.
Same here. Turn your player off, slide the hold switch on, plug it into the PC, and open the firmware updater.

EDIT: Also, to answer your other question, Dimustrace, "Initialize" resets the player's settings to the factory defaults. Unlike the "Erase memory" options, it doesn't touch the content you've added to the player. I don't really know how useful "Initialize" is, but it's there...

Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Default bookmarking

How do you go about bookmarking your tracks with the new firmware 1.2? Does it work for all file types? ie: mp3's

Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 PM

^ Sorry, no bookmarking with any version this far.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Same here. Turn your player off, slide the hold switch on, plug it into the PC, and open the firmware updater.

EDIT: Also, to answer your other question, Dimustrace, "Initialize" resets the player's settings to the factory defaults. Unlike the "Erase memory" options, it doesn't touch the content you've added to the player. I don't really know how useful "Initialize" is, but it's there...
Thanks for the tip. I messed with it some more before I read this. I took a chance and did the font update first and then the firmware update went through just fine. Odd, no?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 PM

well, since everyone is saying that they are having USB problems, I'd like to say mine works perfectly fine so it doesnt look like the firmware update is the most terrible thing ever.

The update forced me to erase all my songs though. hmmm it might have been something i did wrong. Either way, it was fine with me

Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 AM

Default found a fix for my USB difficulties...

Just try another port! That's all it took with mine, I don't know why it would make a difference, it's connecting to a pc so they should all be powered. Maybe the front port I had problems with was being shared with something plugged into the back ports that was interfering with it, like printer or keyboard perhaps? I'm still pissed that I didn't get the arcsoft disk with mine, which was bought from woot, but for $70 it's a great deal. I'm using iriverter with the iriver PMP setting, works great for videos.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 AM

I have a simple question.
I upgraded my NS-DV4G from firmware 1.104 directly to version 1.200.
After clearing everything out, and only adding one album at a time (no major transfers at once), the USB works great.

How many upgraded from firmware 1.105.4 to 1.200?
USB problems (Yes/No)?

How many upgraded directly from 1.104 to 1.200?

USB problems (Yes/No)?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Default upgrade

I'm still sitting here with 1.104 (NS-DV4G). I'm curious about whiskeymcclinton's post - I would like to wait and upgrade after I see if there are more problems upgrading to 1.2 from 1.104 or from 1.105.4.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I upgraded from 1.105.4 to 1.200 and have had no USB recognition problems. However, I have had the Blue-Screen-of-Death/forced-reboot bug when connecting in MSC mode with a fair amount of MTP content on the device.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Insignia Moderator

From 1.105 - No problems. And it actually fixed my BSOD problem!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 PM

MY SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was the same problem . I resolve it formatting the player after upgrading. ("Erase Internal Memory") and them my computer recognize it. Them, i drag the contents of "Step 2" to the "CONFIG" folder on the NS-DV.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi,

I have a question about the firmware upgrade process.

I just found this website yesterday. I didn't even know there were upgrades available.

The directions that were posted say to erase your internal memory. Will I have to redownload everything or can I just copy my files to my computer and drag them back on to the player when I'm done with the upgrade? Obviously if I can do this it would save a lot of time.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM

How did you get the files onto the player in the first place? I assume you copied them from your computer, so those songs should already be ON the computer, right?

If not, yes, you can copy the songs back to the computer in MSC mode.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:07 PM

I just applied the 1.200 upgrade from 1.105 and everything seems to be fine. Running Win XP SP2. As stated in earlier posts, make sure you transfer all of your media from the player over to your computer beforehand so you can replace it after the upgrade. Completing the upgrade wipes everything, even FM presets. No biggie, given the HUGE benefits of the new firmware.

One thing I noticed, which had me rejoicing was the fact that tag encoded album art stays with the individual music track, and doesn't "hang" onto the next track when you switch albums. That annoyed the heck out of me before this upgrade.

So far, I've had no problems with my system recognizing the player immediately when connected to my USB ports.

One thing I'd like to know is if there is any chance of AM radio channels being supported in the next firmware release? Or does this require a "loop antennae" that is not supported by the hardware?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
How did you get the files onto the player in the first place? I assume you copied them from your computer, so those songs should already be ON the computer, right?

If not, yes, you can copy the songs back to the computer in MSC mode.
Don't know what MSC mode means

I used the converter to get the files onto the player from my computer. It takes time that I was hoping to avoid. I was hoping if I backed up my files from the player on my computer they would already be in the proper format and I could skip the conversion step and just drag them into the player folder. Is this possible?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Default video artifact after fw1.2 update

I updated from 1.04 last night. Followed instructions as per Insignia's web site. Did update with hold switch on. Everything seemed to go just fine. No usb problems. However, when I reloaded my videos (which worked under 1.04; all were converted by arcsoft in mpeg4 mode) there was a transparent green bar running across the bottom 1/4 of the screen. I converted some different video using arcsoft and irverter (all at 128 audio and 512 video). Seems that I get the problem only with arcsoft in mpeg4 mode as arcsoft wmv and iriverter avi/mpeg4 work fine. I'll try more video and conversion settings later to see if the problem keeps repeating. Any suggestions (other than stay away from arcsoft mpeg4 mode)?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewfan20 View Post
Don't know what MSC mode means

I used the converter to get the files onto the player from my computer. It takes time that I was hoping to avoid. I was hoping if I backed up my files from the player on my computer they would already be in the proper format and I could skip the conversion step and just drag them into the player folder. Is this possible?
OK.. To go into MSC mode, do the following:

Flip the hold switch to "on"..
Connect the player to your computer. It will see the player as a drive letter in Windows.. At this point you can drag your music and videos to your hard drive, format the player, apply the upgrade, and then copy the files back to the player.