android
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Or, like some of us, your monitor turns off and back on, and you get to listen to windows start up

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
OK.. To go into MSC mode, do the following:

Flip the hold switch to "on"..
Connect the player to your computer. It will see the player as a drive letter in Windows.. At this point you can drag your music and videos to your hard drive, format the player, apply the upgrade, and then copy the files back to the player.
Ok, Thanks.

Do I leave the hold switch "on" the whole time? Meaning also during the upgrade and copying the files back to the player.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:36 AM

Well, you can't turn the player off or on with the hold switch in the "on" position, so any step that requires that, you have to switch it off, but yeah, leave the hold switch in the "on" position when you're about to plug it back into the USB connection, duing the upgrade and copying the files.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 PM

I have a NS-DV2G. I updated firmware from 1.104 to 1.105 and I am happy with the player.

I am thinking to updating to firmware 1.2 but before I do that, I appreciate if somebody can post some screen shots of the screen to show me what changes in the new firmware to see if it is worth changing to.

thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM

The review on this site has screenshots with the 1.200 firmware.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sdv-review.php

Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Default WMA Pro

I think the best reason to upgrade is the WMA Pro compatibility. I have been waiting for another player beside the Zune to support it. When I read it in the upgrade list, I ran out to bestbuy and bought one.

WMA pro is similar to AAC plus, in that you you can get 128kbit MP3 performance in about half the bitrate.

I have the NS-DV4G plus a 2gb SD card. I encoded a ton of stuff to WMA Pro at 25% quality VBR in Easy CD-DA, which translates to about 70-90 kbit, and I stuffed the player with 1900 songs... and they sound great.

Until someone else adds WMA Pro support, this is now the best DAP you can buy... period.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Thanks for all the help!

I upgraded the firmware on the NS-DV4G and NS-DV2G I have with no problems.

I first upgraded to the v1.105 and then to the v1.2 instead of going directly to the v1.2.

It was easy uploading my media back on to the players.

I was so happy I didn't have to go through the media converter again.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Getting PC to recognize NS-DV4G after 1.200 upgrade

If you've upgraded to 1.200 and have a laptop that won't recognize your Insignia now, here's something I discovered: I only experience the problem when my laptop is in its docking station. Undock it and VOILA! Sync works 4.0 again.

I know this might not be the solution for everyone, but it's worth sharing for those who might benefit.

-DF

UPDATE: I also found that if after undocking my PC and connecting my Insignia, I can then re-dock my PC and it still remembers that the Insignia is there. -- DF

Last edited by Distant Fire; 08-14-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Updated info

Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 AM

The new firmware is fantastic. I'm very pleased to see the folder mode, that makes music management MUCH easier for me and the messed up way I do things.

Getting it applied was a bear, I had to toggle between locking it with the hold button and resetting and formatting (oh, and rebooting my laptop, that was a tip that worked well), but it's worth it now that it's on.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default just

i just loaded the firmware but i only got as far as step 1, after that my player still shows up on my computer when i its unplug it's says "data base full delete content or reformat".

Old 08-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
i just loaded the firmware but i only got as far as step 1, after that my player still shows up on my computer when i its unplug it's says "data base full delete content or reformat".
This is expected. Check out step #6 of the official firmware installation instructions on Insignia's site and proceed from there. In short, this means you now need to erase the internal memory via the player's Settings menu. After that, you can apply the Fonts update.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 PM

The updater can't find my Insignia . It tells me to turn the power off then connect to the USB port, but when I connect it (as usual) it turns back on.

EDIT: Nevermind, I remembered the hold button this time.

EDIT2: It appears to be working fine .

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Problem with database

I've updated to FW1.2 and everytime I turn on the player it pops up a message: "Building library". It's quite annoying, as it takes about 3 seconds to rebuild the library (I'm only usgin 500MB of my external storage and none of the internal because I erased all the memory as part of the update.

Any ideas?

Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 PM

3 seconds? You're worried about 3 seconds? Besides, the player has ALWAYS rebuilt the library when you use external storage- no matter which version of firmware you have on the player.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
3 seconds? You're worried about 3 seconds? Besides, the player has ALWAYS rebuilt the library when you use external storage- no matter which version of firmware you have on the player.
You were right jeffrok, when I removed the external memory, the "problem" went away. In fact it loads faster than before . I don't remember why I thought the system worked otherwhise.

About the 3 seconds, I was worried because I thought 0.5G -> 3seconds, 4G -> 24seconds; and that was wayyy too much. But I was terribly wrong

Sorry about that jeffrok, thanks for the advice

Old 08-19-2007, 12:08 PM

OH CRAP! I now have a useless paperweight as a result of this upgrade. XP no longer recognizes the device; occasionally it will show the Insignia Player in Explorer but will not open it up. I have tried numerous times to re-connect the device but nada. Have written Insignia and will see what they have to say.

Found this forum and see that some other folks have a similar problem even though there was no mention of it on the Insignia download site.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 PM

try using a different usb port, I had the same problem, usimg a different port fixed it for some reason!

Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub View Post
OH CRAP! I now have a useless paperweight as a result of this upgrade. XP no longer recognizes the device; occasionally it will show the Insignia Player in Explorer but will not open it up. I have tried numerous times to re-connect the device but nada. Have written Insignia and will see what they have to say.

Found this forum and see that some other folks have a similar problem even though there was no mention of it on the Insignia download site.
Did you try all the suggestions here?

1- Shut down the computer
2- Put the player into "Hold" mode (flip the switch on top)
3- Connect to USB
4- Reboot the computer with computer connected. If it asks if you want to scan the drive for errors, hit any key to skip that.
5- Once Windows comes up again, you should be able to see the player is two drive letters (THe internal memory and the external memory)

Try that. It works for most people here.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Default not recognizing player

hey all the issue i had with recognizing and the database error.

if you follow the instructions and get these issues here is what you do.

After it loads the firmware and shuts off. Power it on then go into the menu under system and choose erase internal memory. this will remove the rom file which has already been used and is giving the DB error which is when you system can't see the player.

Once complete follow step 2 to get the fonts.

Player is now working AWESOME

1 question I have though.. mm3u support I can't seem to get that working. the play sees the files but wont read them.. I'm running ubuntu linux using rhythmbox. Any suggestions?

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnytom View Post
1 question I have though.. mm3u support I can't seem to get that working. the play sees the files but wont read them.. I'm running ubuntu linux using rhythmbox. Any suggestions?
In all candor, my best suggestion is to wait for the next firmware update. M3U playlist support is deeply flawed (read: inoperable) in version 1.200.