android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Ripping from Google Video and YouTube - legal?

There's a lot of music videos etc. on the two sites.
Is it legal to download and see them on a DAP?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 AM

Don't ask, don't tell... Just download the stuff, no one's gonna sue you.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Don't ask, don't tell... Just download the stuff, no one's gonna sue you.
It's just the fact that I don't want to download it if it's illegal... I have an idea about only having legal/bought music and films.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

nothing that is copyrighted is legal to even be posted, INCLUDING music videos. That said, some of the copyrighted material is taken down if the owner exercises that right. If it's still up there, they haven't complained about it. It's still illegal for you to download it, but again, A) are you gonna get caught? and B) If they were so worried about it, they would have complained to youTube and had it taken down...So do whatever you feel is right.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM

My opinion is that no, it's not illegal: there is no circumvention to do.

Officially, a YouTube video is in your broswers cache and some software will just copy it from there or download it directly from youtube. It's just an flv file. As for Google Video, they offer you the option to download it. Open the gvp file in a text editor and you'll have the address to download it in avi format.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

how is it not illegal...it's just as illegal to DOWNLOAD the video as it is to post it in the first place. That's like saying that it's illegal to sell pot but not to buy it or smoke it or possess it...

Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You all know my feelings on piracy. With that said however, with regards to YouTube and Google, the onus is on the respective services to police what's being made available for view on their services. It's not on the viewer to determine the video's legitimacy. That's asking way too much.

If you're uncomfortable about a given video's legitimacy, you can still safely convert it and keep it for your own use. You assume any legal ramifications for the video should you choose later to share it outside of the original context of Google or YouTube.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM

google video has quiet a few tv shows and movies available, im pretty sure those are illegal. but for like the home made stuff no one will care if you take those

Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM

You can get many of the same movies/videos you can on torrent trackers on GV/YT if you catch either one at the right time. My buddy got SiCKO at great quality from Google Video.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM

it's sometimes not a "is it illegal" question is it? it's more of a "should I download, Moraly" here's the answers

1) yes it is illegal.

2) morally you should not download, it IS piracy in a way,

but hey by veiwing it you are downloading it, mainly it's the bit about re-releasing it that's what they don't want, it's not like the FBI goes door to door saying "do you have any pirated files?" it's like the creators of the material don't want it re-released for profit because they're loosing profit, and the don't want it released for free because they aren't making money either.

personally I don't download massive things like a .torrent of 300 for example, I'll download a few funny videos , right now I have some hillarious mac spoofs on my T9, the funnies is "why macs suck" just search youtube for it..

Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This thread has pretty much run its course and is headed down a dangerous road.

Closed Thread