android
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Fantastic news!
Touchmypsp: I'd love too to find something that I can use as both an mp3 player and a usb drive. What I really like about the U3 is the RDS radio, and as far as I know, Zune apart, only Samnsung players offer this functionality.
The yp-u2 would have been perfect, UMS, small and RDS, but...what were they thinking when they placed the earphones plug on the side of the unit? Very uncomfortable to hold, especially while running...
Perhaps one day an UMS firmware will be released.

Belle33: thanks for having tried under OS X! I hope to find a unit tomorrow.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Hi Belle33: did the U3 show up as an external drive or did it just charge up? Were you able to copy music and (most importantly) other data files to it? I'd love to know. Also, what machine and OS are you running? Cheers.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:18 AM

Default samsung yp u3 in ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendicus_Prime View Post
I just got it working in Ubuntu Feisty using Amarok, but I had to build the latest libmtp (0.2.1) myself to do it. AFAIK 0.1.5 would be good enough if the device id list is updated (there was a webpage where someone had a patch and instructions), but that needs you to patch 1.5 source and build anyway.
In either case I also needed some hackery with /etc/udev/rules.d/ to grant enough permission for a simple user to mount it.
So anyway, its possible under Linux and I have transferred files succesfully. I assume if it works for Ubuntu it can be done for OSX too?
UMS would be so much easier
I have a yp u3 and run ubuntu feisty (kubuntu actually) - and I was fricking devastated when it didn't work cause my friends u2 worked perfectly - fiendicus prime it seems as though there is hope yet?
I'm a bit of a newbie - is there any possibility of you describing how you got amarok to detect your yp u3 - I would be insanely appreciative - I was about to sell the damn thing!
thanks
joe

Old 08-15-2007, 04:37 AM

ok i've compiled the latest libmtp 0.2.1 - but it still isn't detected, what other funky hackery did you do?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyjamashark View Post
ok i've compiled the latest libmtp 0.2.1 - but it still isn't detected, what other funky hackery did you do?
Ah, well, lets see how good my memory is
Are you at the stage where you have libmtp 0.2.1 installed? I didn't have to do anything special to get to that point. Once installed I could run 'mtp-detect' in a shell, and something would happen (more than with 0.1.5) but it failed because usb_claim_interface() wasn't working. i.e.

$ mtp-detect
libmtp version: 0.2.1

Attempting to connect device(s)
usb_claim_interface(): Operation not permitted
LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to initialize device 1
LIBMTP PANIC: configure_usb_devices() error code: 7 on line 1806
Detect: There has been an error connecting. Exiting

However it would detect the YP-U3 if I ran it as a superuser 'sudo mtp-detect'.
If you are there, what you need to do is set the usb permissions for the device to be claimed by a normal user. To do this try something like:

sudo gvim /etc/udev/rules.d/60-YPU3.rules

Then enter the following lines to the new file and save:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="507d", \
ACTION=="add" MODE="0666"

You might have to restart for this to take effect? Now you should be able to run mtp-detect as a normal user. I think there might be at least one variant on the idProduct, the full list of IDs supported by libmtp is buried in the source folder (path to libmtp source/src/libusb-glue.c). Amarok just worked then.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Dear Fiendicus_Prime
You are my very own personal jesus christ! That worked like a charm. Thank you so much. Now we just have to get the darn thing to read the ogg tags properly and all will be hunky dory. But having it work in ubuntu / amarok is a dream come true!
yippeee
joe

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 AM

I'm so jealous! Any chance of making this work for a Mac?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle33 View Post
Well I say got it to work, but what I really mean is that I followed the very helpful link to XNJB, installed it & what do you know?

Where I previously had a dead Samsung YP U3 sitting in my usb drive the little thing started to flash and I was in blue LED heaven ...

This was a huge relief to me since I had actually bought the YP U3 as a birthday gift for my sister & I was worrying I'd have to return it and get her another MP3 player that is actually compatible with mac os. I didn't even bother checking the YP-U3 since I have the very excellent Samsung YP-F1 which just plugs in anywhere and does its thing ...

So mac users take heart - it does work courtesy of XNJB.

XNJB, take a bow

I tried this on an ibook w/ OSX and no luck in moving the files onto the U3. The program just quits when I try it. On the up side, I could see the content of the player.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM

It's probably the music player I like the most right now, but it bothers me to no end that I can't use it as a UMS, I saw there was a firmware 1.07 (UMS) in the website but I had already upgraded to 1.08 however I haven't seen anyone confirm that that firmware really works, I hate that i can't go to someone else's computer and use it as a plain flash drive and to top it all off, I use Fedora 7, I'm no expert and I don't know how to upgrade my current libmtp 0.1.5 to 0.2.1 from source.

oh well, sorry about my rant
alex

Old 08-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle33 View Post
Well I say got it to work, but what I really mean is that I followed the very helpful link to XNJB, installed it & what do you know?

Where I previously had a dead Samsung YP U3 sitting in my usb drive the little thing started to flash and I was in blue LED heaven ...
I bought this thing (the U3) Friday and as soon as I opened it and noticed it would not mount on my Mac, I went searching the net and found this very helpful thread. I'm a Mac & occasional Windows user and really only want the U3 as a flash drive/radio/voice recorder -- it also has a really nice form-factor. I couldn't give a hoot about Windows Media Player functionality, and there's no way I will install software to read files off this thing on the Windows machines where I work, since I can't do that anyways.

Well, the XNJB link was very helpful, but I did not have as much luck as you. I downloaded XNJB and it let me perform the ROM/resource copy without a hitch, but after the U3 rebooted and performed it's resource update and format, the ROM was still at 1.0.8 and still an MTP device. I'm hoping I did something wrong and this can really work after all... my device was at 1.0.8 from the start, and from what I read here, once it is, it can't go backwards. Perhaps performing the update via a Windows machine, perhaps?

I asked the sales person at the store I bought this from for something with flash drive functionality and he showed me the U3. I even looked this thing up on Amazon before I bought it. The product description claims, "Convenient File Transfer. The U3 also functions as a flash drive. You can use it to transfer files from one computer or USB device to another."

Well, I'm going to have to march this thing right back to the store and get my money back. I know the store has the U2, but after this experience I don't think I'm going to buy another Samsung device. Ever.

Mr. John

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

I bought this same player just a few days ago, because I was annoyed that my creative muvo v200 couldn't handle anything other than wma and mp3.
Being able to play .ogg, one would assume that it would mount as a flash drive so any machine could handle it, and that was exactely what the salesperson told me.

My dissapointment was very big when I tried it on my Ubuntu machine. I had to switch on my Win XP laptop, upgrade the Win media player to version 11, before I could use it in a drag & drop sense.

I have informed with Samsung (the Dutch) how to downgrade my firmware to version 1.07, but they told me that they hadn't heard of any previous firmware than 1.08, and that they do not support Linux or Mac.

So far my experiences with this otherwise fine little player. I returned it to the store and ordered a Cowon F2, for just 13% extra (60 euro's vs. 68). Hope that one acts as a usb-flash drive.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 AM

For MSC: has anybody tried adding it as a Mass Storage Device in Windows devices like people have for the Sansa Express?:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=12426

Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmypsp View Post
For MSC: has anybody tried adding it as a Mass Storage Device in Windows devices like people have for the Sansa Express?:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=12426
i tried it, but it only gives me the option of MTP

i bought mine in australia sydney, with the 1.08 US already on it and my goodness i'm hating it

i love the player and dont want to return it, just wish it behaved like an ordinary device that i could go and plug in anywhere

Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas View Post
I bought this same player just a few days ago, because I was annoyed that my creative muvo v200 couldn't handle anything other than wma and mp3.
Being able to play .ogg, one would assume that it would mount as a flash drive so any machine could handle it, and that was exactely what the salesperson told me.

My dissapointment was very big when I tried it on my Ubuntu machine. I had to switch on my Win XP laptop, upgrade the Win media player to version 11, before I could use it in a drag & drop sense.

I have informed with Samsung (the Dutch) how to downgrade my firmware to version 1.07, but they told me that they hadn't heard of any previous firmware than 1.08, and that they do not support Linux or Mac.

So far my experiences with this otherwise fine little player. I returned it to the store and ordered a Cowon F2, for just 13% extra (60 euro's vs. 68). Hope that one acts as a usb-flash drive.
Hi Bas,

strange that the dutch support is answering your mail to them. The do not respond to my mail with more complaints than only the firmware (digital noise and other minor things). The only thing I received was a call-number and that they would contact me, but they didn't. It has been over a month now. I'll try to contact them again. Maybe they will respond sooner?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Got my U3 working in Ubuntu Feisty

In Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, I was able to get the U3 working using Amarok + libmtp and editing the file /etc/udev/rules.d/65-libmtp.rules to include this line (all one line, I also added "# Samsung U3" the line before to label it):

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="507d", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666"

After rebooting and telling Amarok I had a MTP device, telling it to connect enabled it to detect and transfer files successfully. I did not need to update or compile the default version of libmtp in feisty fawn.

I did manage to temporarily 'break' the functionality by trying a very large transfer queue. Based on this experience, I have been transferring music in 1-album chunks via the queue and not had further problems.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 AM

Hi. I just bought a U3-JZW 1GB because it supports ogg. If I had googled for samsung+u3+linux before, I hadn't bought one. I'm using amarok with libmtp atm which is working quite fine. But I'm not a fan of proprietary stuff and of course not of proprietary stuff from the evil Redmond company. A UMS firmware would be great, not only because to get rid of this MS crap also because it would be much more comfortable if the device would shop up as a drive. Long story short - I just came across this article (http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...tp-the-fourth/) . The guy got his firmware from Samsung Singapore and there also is one for the U3 (http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...ia_cd=03040200) Is this a UMS firmware or not? If yes is it possible to upgrade to this firmware even if I'm usung a newer one? (1.11EU) - Is the firmware compatible with my (EU/German) version of the player? Thanks in advice

Old 10-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi nico, the firmware in the Samsung Singapore page above is UMS yet, unlike the Samsung T9 in the article above, I am yet to hear of a U3 being able to install a UMS firmware after originally running an MTP firmware. Samsung have intentionally set measures to stop this from happening. This is the only Samsung player to be treated this way (unless some newer models are the same), but it looks like you're forced to use MTP..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:55 AM

Hello,

I wanted to ask if someone got a 1.10 MTP firmware update which he could share. I am curious about how it's files differ from a 1.10 MSC/UMS firmware.

The global samsung download center only links to the newest available firmware which are 1.11 MTP and 1.10 MSC versions for different regions, but to get an older version you would have to guess the filename in the download link which starts with a unguessable timestamp

So if anyone got the 1.10 MTP fw I would appreciate it to make it available

Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

jumijoze, I think that each firmware version is given a different number, so there is not an MTP and MSC firmware which share the same number. You will probably find that all v1.11 is only MTP (not UMS) and v1.10 is onlt MSC (not MTP).

Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Yes thanks, looks like that
Too bad that the *.ROM file looks encrypted :/