android
Old 12-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Andre117: After I updated, I get mono on some stations but I also get stereo on others... I think its because I'm indoors. Try changing the sensitivity settings under Settings,FM Radio,FM Sensitivity or if you're indoors you might only get mono reception... also remember that the device uses your earphone cable as an antenna so make sure its stretched out. So to recap: It is now possible to update the firmware on ANY YP-U3 device from MTP to UMS/MSC. The update software works only in WindowsXP and not Windows Vista. After the update you end up with a formatted (back up your music first) player running firmware 1.10 MSC. The only (minor) drawback is that the RDS doesn't work. - Since our new "dfu" update method can probably fix this player no matter how much we mess with the firmware, we should try to use the dfu update software to load a different version firmware instead of the included 1.10... maybe 1.06,1.07 (whicever is UMS) I'll look into it tomorrow... but if anyone tries this, please post a link to the firmware, and your results.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytusc View Post
we should try to use the dfu update software to load a different version firmware
That's probably impossible. The dfu process requires different firmware packages (20070918161625140_YP_U3_MSC_FW_VER110WA_070906_AS .zip) that have two extra files that are not in standard firmware zips (YP-U3.BIN, YP-U3.SET). It doesn't look like samsung makes them available for download. If anyone has samsung links for them, please post.

The good news is that once you switch to MSC mode once with the dfu you can upgrade and downgrade msc firmware at will using the normal process.

The latest (1.10) msc firmware is on the Global Download Center

1.09 I found on the Russian site.

Does Samsung archive older versions somewhere?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 AM

Angry Device bricked

I tryed the solution posted here, and in second step, I got something like "Can not write" at the end of the proccess(statusbar almost at end in second step).
After that, device´s display got black and led started to blink... I waited aboyt 5 minutes (the manual writes 1~3 minutes), and there was no "Extra Drive".
Now, 8 hours latter, the led is blinking yet, and I can not connect it to PC (no usb connection sound in windows) I can not shutdown the led and U3 does not turn on...

So, I believe that I bricked my device

I also believe that I followed the instructions correctly, so, be sure before try the firmware. (Murphy´s law...once noone got problems until now)

Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned

tequila_J,

Doesn't sound too good at all.. Any device running corrupt firmware has the possibility of self-damage. However, have you tried the DFU process again? Can the U3 still function in DFU mode? From my understanding, if it can't even function as a simple PROM programmer then your U3 sounds like cactus...

I have had success with the process. If you were in desperate need I could walk you through it step-by-step if you would like. Let me know..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM

help i think i have bricked my U3 with this method: got to step 17 okay but when i unplugged U3 i can't get it to switch on or respons in any way. please help anyone! thx ----- update: whew! got it working now used the dfu programmer again and now works! note that some people may not need to use step 17 i.e. don't unplug U3. simply go onto step 24.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Tequila_j, on page 12 of the included PDF, it says to expect an error message after that step... "failed to renumerate device" was that it ? Also, if you're running windows, boot up in safe mode and try again because theres a good chance you have some process running in the background that messed with the dfu update. Can you still get the device recognized as dfu when you hold down rec and power (with hold off) together as you stick it in the usb drive ? If you can, then there is hope.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Not even DFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8mtpu3 View Post
tequila_J,

Doesn't sound too good at all.. Any device running corrupt firmware has the possibility of self-damage. However, have you tried the DFU process again? Can the U3 still function in DFU mode? From my understanding, if it can't even function as a simple PROM programmer then your U3 sounds like cactus...

I have had success with the process. If you were in desperate need I could walk you through it step-by-step if you would like. Let me know..
It is not good, really, I can not enter in DFU mode, I can not reset the device.
Unfortunatelly I can not remenber 100% about the error message, but it was something like: "Error writing in device", or something lik that.
Maybe the method does not work for all device... i do not know.

Once I can not go in DFU mode (there is no USB activity anymore from the device, not in windows, not in linux...)
I am 100% sure that I lost it.

Thanks for trying to help... but I lost faith in my device.

Thanks a lot

Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM

tequila_j, I had your troubles when I used this software.
System worked in anomaly way after step 2.1: no message, blu light always on and no feed back. As you, I thought system was lost.
So, as a blind, i did step 3.2 inserting device as if all was ok (pushing REC and START), running serenade to upload firmware and all was ok.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Default UMS Firmware update really works

Hi all

Thank you for finding out about the change to UMS. I can only tell you that it works fine, even if you need to try several times and the device looks dead in the meantime. I even had a computer crash today when I downloaded the firmware.
So, don't give up and try downloading the firmware several times as described in the manual.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 AM

I don't have it bricked, but my U3 is reproducibly stuck in the "DFU Writing" state. The first download seemed to work, but the second one won't finish. More exactly, it displays

Code:
NAND: 4GB MLC
EVT5
0FFC A8DF BC3A
DFU Writing.......
and doesn't go black as suggested, even after half an hour of waiting. Only one side of the light is on - sides have been swiching a few times, but nothing seems to happen apart from that. (After some time, not even the light wants to switch sides anymore.)

I can plug it off without further consequences, the light sometimes keeps lighting and sometimes it doesn't. DFU mode seems to work even without pressing the magic REC and PLAY combination.

It's the same thing with either the UMS or the MTP firmware, I can't get any of them to finish loading.

Any ideas?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 AM

jpetso: Try booting your computer in safe mode and then do the DFU update. This will eliminate any random processes you have running that could be interfering with the update. If that doesn't work, then try doing the dfu update from a different computer. That seems to be the most likely way of getting it to work without thinking too hard. Let me know how it goes. You know this only works in windowsXP, not windows vista, right ? Tytus

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Tytus: Yeah, I'm running XP for this. I tried to boot into Safe Mode, but the Serenade DFU program obviously doesn't recognize the device there, although the device manager shows it. (At least when doing this as "Administrator" user... I'm going to try it as myself one more time.)

Interestingly, there was some light activity (including a short time when it flashed like crazy) since my previous post. Maybe the whole thing does work, just incredibly slow?

Anyhow, trying it on another system seems like the most promising approach here - I'll try that when I get access to one. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Finaly!!
Everything works fine !!!

THX

Old 12-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Talking Huzzah!!

Hi. I'd like to chime in and say, the downgrade was successful, although I had similar problems during the writing like described before (and it does look like it was stuck in DFU mode or worse, bricked).

I don't know if it's the computer (I moved to another one) or if it's shoddy USB connection. Regardless, after being really stubborn (repeated step 3.2 so many times -_- ) it did work and it is indeed awesome.

A month ago, I dropped here in hoping to find a fix. Decided to bookmark it because the people here seemed to know what they are talking about, and lo and behold: My U3 is now fixed!! (Now if only someone could give it tactile buttons)

I am eternaly grateful. Thank you =D

Also, This thread should be digged or something.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM

wow, tried 3 times on windows 2000, everytime I click download in the Serenadedfu.exe the pc resets and now my player is broken - It just displays "Log Val = 0x10000024" and blinks after it got turned on, is there a keycombo or something to reset it or do I have to call a friend with windows xp to fix it?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:39 PM

Default don't worry

don't worry, its not broken... as far as we know, this method only works in windows xp. NOT in windows 2000,vista,me,98,95 etc.... so yes, go to your friends house and do it on their windows xp machine. let us know how it goes. good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 AM

just posting to leave some POSITIVE feedback on the whole process.

the damn thing works 100%!

i followed the steps pretty much exactly to the letter on the guide, and now my U3 can be more useful than just a mp3 player

Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM

I accidently deleted the hidden file "system" of U3. Then appeared the folder "system". I thought it was the folder of U3. But when I started my U3, strange words like chinese's was on the screen and I couldn't control. After update the firmware 1.09 ( though it was 1.09 too because I bought in 10-2007) my U3 worked back. It seems ok. I can't see the record folder on the screen though it can be seen on computer. Was something wrong? Help, please! Thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Default upgrade works, but results are sketchy

I was able to successfully convert the american YP-U3JQGY / XAA (a model i got at Best Buy).

One thing which is strange, is that if I enable the display of Tags, I get a bunch of asian alphabet characters scrolling across the screen during playback.

Another thing which is odd, as compared with my YP-U2, is that pressing the play button on a folder descends into the folder instead of playing that folder. I'm not sure if this is a flaw in the update, or if it's simply how the U3 operates.

If the latter is true, that's really annoying. For example, if I organize my folders by artist, and only want to listen to all the albums of one artist, then I could just click play on the artist's folder, on the U2. Now however, it's only possible to descend all the way down to file and play all the files in that folder. The only solution to this seems to be to put all the songs from one artist in the same folder, which is lame from an organization standpoint, but also because it would limit me from listening to a particular album.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytusc View Post
don't worry, its not broken... as far as we know, this method only works in windows xp. NOT in windows 2000,vista,me,98,95 etc.... so yes, go to your friends house and do it on their windows xp machine. let us know how it goes. good luck.
yep, it works now, I flashed at my friends place with windows xp - I'm so happy