android
Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monki34 View Post
One thing which is strange, is that if I enable the display of Tags, I get a bunch of asian alphabet characters scrolling across the screen during playback.
Faced the same issue; refreshing tags with Mp3tag have resolved the problem (for me). The tracks are reported as 'id3Tag v2.4 'on the software, after update, it should be displayed as 'id3Tag v2.3' and tags would be displayed correctly in the 'Now Playing' screen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Not Sure!!

I can get a 2 gig U3 for the same price as a U2, but I really need UMS. Does this hack really work? Is U3 worth it or should I stick with U2?

Thanx

Old 12-29-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Yes, but we should punish Samsung.........

Yes the hack works. But, if I had known in advance that Samsung conspired with Microsoft to force their stupid MTP on us and then went to the trouble to make it extra difficult for smart people to switch their devices to UMS, I wouldn't give them my money in the first place... I would look around for a different USB player because Samsung should be punished for their actions.... INSTEAD, I would buy this Coby MP-C895 (2GB mp3 player/fm radio/voice recorder/usb stick) because it has an option in the menu to switch it over to MSC/UMS (the product reviews confirm this) Its $39.99 with free shipping on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top

Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 AM

Ack... Wish I'd known that was out there before I'd bought mine too, I thought $70 was a good deal. Judging by the reviews of that though, I think I'll be happier sticking with a hacked YP-U3 if only for the rechargable battery (what kind of MP3 player uses AAA's?!), and the way the USB plug springs out, just looks cooler and my old jump drive's capped plug didn't hold up particularly well, and I've probably wasted an hour of my life searching for where I placed that damn cap. If an FM radio mattered at all to me, or if it picked up AM, then I'd brave Best Buy's restocking fee and get that Coby though.

About to flash my YP-U3, wish me luck, I'll edit my results in, and thanks for all the info.

A half hour or so later: Worked like a charm, not a single hiccup for me, now to load up on music the way it should've always been.

Last edited by Shinpachi; 12-31-2007 at 02:35 AM.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM

Default YP-U3 UMS Firmware

I flashed my (wife's) U3 today and it worked brilliantly - no problems. Thank goodness for this forum. I too would not have purchased the Samsung if I'd known it used MPT.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Miserable

I feel just to miserable for be the only that failed ..but happy for everyone that is getting the "fix" working

Old 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM

tytusc: I took a little time before trying some more, but whoo! it worked on a different computer. just the way that the "manual" predicted. no idea which kind of disability my laptop has, because i never had the kind of usb issues that i saw on other systems previously.

works great - but samsung won't be getting my money so easily next time. stupid bastards.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM

So my dad bought the same player as I have (YP-U3) and is unhappy too Now I'm going to flash it

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Dit it! But... is RDS gone forever?

So I did it too, and I have a hint for who has problems while flashing. At first is wasn't working for me: the flash process always hanged at random. Then tryed to use a pcmcia usb2 controller instead of my sister's laptop builtin ports. It worked flawlessly since the first time, going a bit slower. Maybe usb2 is too fast for the U3 dfu mode? I don't know...

Well, I also noticed a thing after the switch to the UMS firmware: the RDS capability of the radio is gone! Did anybody manage to enable it again, perhaps with another asiatic firmware?

Thank you.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Default YP-U3 UMS firmware

after using the link on frttp's post,my player was in same condition as jpetso's ,tried the safe mode and disabling enhanced usb on a laptop running xp home spent a day retrying everything then in desparation moved software to ancient ibm laptop running W2000 sp4 and it worked 2nd attempt .mine was a new player with no music on it ,i then flashed my daughters yp-u3 and it went flawlessly but she did lose all her music.it could have been the usb2 on the new laptop also laptops oem versions of windows are usually crippled.both players now appear as drives in xp,w2000 and linux.
a great site, thanks,carrboyd

Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM

hi guys, i recently bought a u3 with 4gb. i thought it is an UMS device!!
is it possible to flash the UMS firmware? I bought the player in germany!

and sorry for my bad english

cheers

/edit: thanks to frttrp, DFU worked great!!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM

DFU worked like charm. Thanks to those who made this possible. I was ready tu sacrifice DFS and Folder ordering in favour of having normal USB key to use and not freakish device

PS. Some facts:
- works ONLY on WinXP (not Vista ready DFU)
- if you try to cheat and use other Firmware files instead of 1.10 - this will not help (i tried to use 1.09, but i got 1.10WA instead).

Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Default YP-U3JZ: your trick works!!!

Hi! First, big thumbs up to everybody who posted the helpful information in this thread!!! With the help of the DFU-loader that you linked to I changed the firmware of my formerly crippled YP-U3JZ to 1.10 MSC in 5 Minutes and now everything works as it should have from the start. I am really happy - except with SAMSUNG. On my first request how to change my player to UMS-mode I got this reply:

"Sehr geehrter Herr S.
vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.
Eine Nutzung des Players ohne das Samsung Media Studio ist leider nicht
moeglich. Es ist bedauerlich zu hoeren, dass Sie falsch beraten wurden
und aufgrund dieser Informationen unzufrieden sind.
Gerne können Sie uns bei Rückfragen erneut ansprechen.
Ihre Samsung Kundennummer:
Herzliche Grüße
Marc May"

The key sentence in English: "It is not possible to use your player without Samsung Media Studio"

This is obviously wrong. They don't want us to use the player without Samsung Media Studio, that is all. I sent them quite a long email today (because I was in the mood and asked them why they gave me wrong information, why they block installing UMS-capable firmware and about their company policy in general.
Looking forward to the reply.. When I get it I will post it here.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 AM

yeah, their media studio software seems to provide DRM protected music through their shop, which may possibly only be working by using this ugly MTP protocol. the other countries with MSC firmware seem not to have this online music shop possibly, well at least the DFU installer to flash our MTP devices to MSC comes from SAMSUNG too which is a bit ironic.
Hope they stop this DRM crap soon, after other big companies also turned away from it and concentrate on releasing better firmwares with MSC capability.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frttrp View Post
Hey,

Searching for a solution I found IT.

I found this Hungarian Site http://hup.hu/node/15489
which refers this address ftp://celtic.no-ip.org/pub/Samsung_YP_U3 containing to DFU packages:
1) for upgrading to U3J MTP mode (ignore it)
2) for upgrading to U3J MTS mode (use it)
Any package contains a PDF file with insrtuctions.

It works . In two munites is possible to revert from/to UMS to/from MTP .

greetings from Italy
Mirror: http://rapidshare.com/files/84786997/DFU.ZIP.html

Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Dear all,

This sounds like great news. My complication is that I'm on Linux (Ubuntu). Does any of this apply to me? As it is I can't use my Samsung YP-U3 at all ;-(

yours

Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 AM

thanks to everbody here! after a half year of waiting, i can finally use my U3! the update worked flawlessly!

i will continue to tell everybody not to buy samsung players though. forcing people to install questonable software (media player) and intentionally reducing the features of the hardware (= discriminating european people) is not acceptable!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM

linreigu: you need to do this firmware change on a windows xp computer... go to a friends house, etc.... but once you do it, your player will show up like a regular usb drive in ubuntu

Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Update OK

Hello to you all,

Just wanted to leave my feed-back after going through all this valuable thread.
I've also bought this player for linux interaction only (No windows at home also) and because it supported ogg files.
Since the level of knowledge at the shop seller about this non windows, non pnp potential issues, is far from acceptable, they led me to by another player with bigger display, being assured that at this days all are able to read oggs. I wasn't much convinced, so, it was with no surprise that it completely ignored my ogg files. That player was obviously returned, and went back to this simple but good player without any more doubts.

I was aware about it being a U3 device but I was far from suspecting that this U3<->MTP<->Windows dependency existed.

As said above, I've read this thread from the beginning and would like to say that I managed to successfully convert this player from U3(MFT) to
UMS. A big Thanks to you all that contributed somehow to this DFU/Firmware Update process solution. This is a mere example how the community should respond to any kind of attempts of big corporates to impose any anti-opensource approaches to simple things like.... listening music in an open standard format like ogg.

Big thanks!

Francisco Nogueira

P.S. - I've also subscribed that petition. Let's hope future fw updates support UMS.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM

linreigu, I am also a Linux-only user, but fortunately I have access to a windows machine at work, so I successfully reverted my U3's firmware to version 1.10.

Thanks guys!!!

Quote:
Dear all,

This sounds like great news. My complication is that I'm on Linux (Ubuntu). Does any of this apply to me? As it is I can't use my Samsung YP-U3 at all ;-(

You have two options:

1. Find a PC running Windows XP and apply the downgrade procedure, and
2. Use the device as is - MTP device. I've used it this way in Ubuntu until today with gnomad2.

Regards and once again - thanks for this thread!!!