android
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 AM

hi you all,

is it possible to update the firmware later on, when a new version comes out?
i'm just about to buy a 4gb u3 but i'd like to know if this thing works in a long run. some of you complained that rds doesn't work after applying this firmware, so later they might fix it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM

sure, further firmware updates should work as usual

Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 AM

Smile Successsssss!!!!

Man, you guys rock!

Thanks to everyone who helped to free me of this annoying shit. The DFU instructions worked like a charm and the YP-U3 now shows up as a mass storage device under Mac OSX. Finally, I can simply drag and drop files via the Finder AND play them in file-order rather than stupid ID3 tag mode.
I've actually used my Bootcamp WinXP Partition as a Virtual Machine in VMWare to do the DFU firmware downgrade and I am still stunned that this is working now.

Thanks SO MUCH and .... fuck you Samsung! The power of the people on this and other forums will never cease!

Fa:z

Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linreigu View Post
Dear all,

This sounds like great news. My complication is that I'm on Linux (Ubuntu). Does any of this apply to me? As it is I can't use my Samsung YP-U3 at all ;-(

yours

What version of ubuntu you have? I've been using this player in Ubuntu 7.10(Kubuntu) and Fedora 6/7, then switched the player for a Zend V Plus which is also MTP, but I'm back with the samsung now that I got it to work as UMS.

I use Amarok and MPT-FS

Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Now it's a mp3 player worth having!

You guys made me cry with joy! This is the only reason I registered, JUST TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU! Now I can really say 45 well spent. Greetings from the UK!

PS: If during the upgrade your player doesn't respond and the blue light just keeps on blinking, don;t get disappointed. Just run the exe file and continue with step 19. The player will wake up!

PROS: Player recognized as HD drive on ANY computer. No drivers or installations needed, no worries about PC specifications. Browse folders and subfolders, as many as they are. Continues playing on next folder WITHOUT having to search for new folder like version 1.11. Randomize playing folders OR whole playlist. Easy handle any files, transfer from PC to PC. Delete songs / playlist songs / voice recordings straight from player (settings). Add song to favourite playlist by clicking on REC button on song title in browse menu. Choose between "tag on" and "tag off" in settings (so tags not that important).

CONS: No categorizing by artists or genres (only by folders, alphabetically). No RDS on radio. (So what???)

VERDICT: FU Samsung! The guys on this forum cracked your case!

Last edited by neverlandfw; 02-11-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Thank You!

Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 AM

Hey guys, there's a new firmware (ver 1.13) on

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/do...ia_cd=03040200

Does anybody know what the features/changes are? I'm still hoping that the company sees its mistake and comes up with a new firmware that allows UMS ...

Cheers,

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Exclamation Problems

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing problems when uploading files in Finder (Mac OSX). I can drag and drop the directories onto the U3 and the upload starts. However after 30 or 40% the upload stalls and I have to remove the U3 manually (eject is not possible).
I have formatted the U3, rebooted my Mac (sorry, old habbit from WinXP) and I still have the same problem.
Now I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't such a good idea to put the 1.10 firmware on there with the DFU procedure. What do I have to do to revert back to the original firmware? I would just like to see if it shows this problem in its original configuration.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

EDIT: I have tried under WinXP and it shows the same problem - Upload starts but after a few seconds stalls ...

Old 02-17-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Last YP-U3 UMS firmware?

Hi everyone

Where I can find the last UMS firmware for my U3?

I'm currently running the 1.10WA (from the MTP to UMS trick).

Thx in advance

Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Talking

Hi folks,

I've posted earlier back about the petition... Had another look at it today and its had 126 signatures in only just over a month!

I also noticed that the folks here have indeed found a way now! Great news, I downloaded a file from the location mentioned in the original post who said he'd done is via DFU but the files I think at that location have changed. Has anyone set up a definitive howto yet with the files to hand?

Anyway I thought I'd contact Samsung and let them know of the petition,

I said to them...

Quote:
Hello,

I would like to bring to your attention a petition I begin roughly over a month ago, I bought a YP-U3J model MP3 player and was surprised to see it lack UMS support which immediately put me off it as it meant extra software and a near lack of support on Linux and Mac. I begin a petition to see who else felt like this, it is below...

http://www.petitiononline.com/umsypu3j/petition.html

Considering it was only mentioned on one forum in its small corner on the web, 124 signatures in a month isn't bad going!

I selected question type 'Proposal' so I can only imagine Samsung must listen to its customers needs and will accept this kind of feedback, please would you consider adding this support especially since it already exists in Asian models of the same device.

Please let me know what you think!

Steven
And the reply I got back was...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

Like most new MP3 players ours is an MTP device and there will be no
changing of this in the near future. I am sorry for whatever inconvenience
this has caused you however it is a design decision by Samsung and I
can't see it being changed.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Con Lafferty

Samsung Electronics UK
BOOOOO!

Anyway if this way of getting UMS on is a done deal and works I think I'll buy another YP-U3 now as I sold my original one to someone who didn't care it had only MTP.

Is there a howto or a definitive setup way?

Steven

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Return to sender

Hey guys,

just wanted to share the news that I've returned my U3 to the shop. Can't be bothered to deal with the crap that Samsung is putting up to prevent us from listening to our legally bought music. Hope they get the message but for me that was definitely the last Samsung product that I will buy (am still fighting with a DVD burner from them). Looking at the Cowon iAudio F2 at the moment - anybody an idea where to buy this beauty here in Australia?

Take care,

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Guys, just wanted to say the upgrade process worked for me great, 1.11 -> 1.10 was huge step in the right direction. I was so amazed by the working mass storage device that I immediately upgraded to 1.12 UMS. No idea what has improved since 1.10. It seems to work normally. RDS still not implemented, as far as I can see.

Anyway, thanks for this great HOWTO that turns the Microsoft's PlaysForSure(tm) hell into great USB MP3 player.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Yup I too can confirm it works, went out to the shop today and got a U3J on 1.11 EU and the guide turned it into 1.10 WA just fine with UMS and I also updated to 1.12 after as well

So much for the petition, in this case I stick two fingers up at Samsung.

p.s. If anyone is reading this in the distant future and the link to the files don't work message or email me as I'll be keeping a copy of that for a _long_ time

Steven

Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Hello everyone.

I just want to thank you for helping me solve this frustrating UMS/MTP problem.

My model is YP-U3J AB/XEO EU, and it's made in Slovakia.

I also bought this mp3 player six months ago, and until today, I've been using it only like a mp3 player, and the primary reason for buying it was that the salesman told me that it can be used like a mass storage device.

I stumbled upon this forum couple of months ago in hope that there is a solution for this, but nothing. Until today!

It worked like a charm.

So thanks again and best regards,

Predrag

Novi Sad, Serbia

Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Cool yp-u3 unrecognized

when I plug my player into my computer it isnt recognized - it charges and all that but the computer wont recognize it - it displays either "log val = 0x100000024" or "System failure power will be turned off" any suggestions???

I am running Windows XP 2002 with YP-U3JQGY

Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treslim View Post
when I plug my player into my computer it isnt recognized - it charges and all that but the computer wont recognize it - it displays either "log val = 0x100000024" or "System failure power will be turned off" any suggestions???

I am running Windows XP 2002 with YP-U3JQGY
I had the same error when flashing under Win 2000, I used XP and it worked. Just use Win XP and start flashing again and you'll be fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately I am one of many suckers who was conned into getting a YP-US thinking it would work as a flash drive as well. I have read this entire thread, have run the DFU fix and have gotten as far as step 18. The problem is that it keeps stalling out. I have restarted the process about 20 times but am now totally buggered. My device is still recognized as a DFU device, but when I run serenadedfu.exe the application doesn't show up. It just sits in the task manager. I try to kill serenadedfu.exe from the task manager and my system gets a wonderful BSOD. Has anyone had this problem? It's fricking typical that if something is meant to go wrong it will happen with me. I am so absolutely frustrated with this I have nearly smashed this thing with a hammer just to see what it's like in pieces.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it. If you haven't been able to tell, I am at my witts end.

Thanks for any help

Gord

Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 AM

In case there's isn't an answer to my other question, is there a way to flash the original firmware back onto the yp u3? It really bothers me that I didn't even get to use this bloody thing. I dropped 50$ on it didn't get to use it at all. Sigh

Thanks again if anyone has a suggestion.

Gord

Old 03-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Default which model to pick for further firmware updates?

I never would have bought the U3 without the information provided in this thread. Thanks! I successfully updated my YP-U3JQG/XAA. It looks like others have further updated to newer firmware from Samsung's website. My question is, which model did you use for the firmware?

If I hit samsung.com support from the US, I see firmware for about 9 different YP-U3## models, none of which match the original model or end in "WA" like the new 1.10 WA firmware. Do I need to bounce off a different region server to get the right firmware? Thanks, Alex

Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 AM

aw: nah the regions don't matter, fw version number is the only thing that matters.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Hmm, well I did find the YP-U3JQGY 1.13 firmware, I must have gotten to the site a weird way before, and after I copy the YP-U3J.ROM file into the system directory on the device and power it on... nothing happens. It prints the 1.10 WA version over the loading bar and starts up normally. I assume if it recognized the file it would do some kind of "Update..." thing there like after the MSC procedure. I'm wondering it the device thinks it's a different model number now and I should be picking one of the other versions for firmware.