android
Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM

well it looks like its now dead, i cant charge battery, but theres no energy/battery left anymore so it doesnt do anything anynmore .

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Default _u3-help_

Just as I've said: go where you have bought it and ask for a direct change. You don't have to explain anything; it just doesn't work, that's all. Good luck

Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Hi, I am a fresh owner of an YP-U3. Actually MTP works fine for me with linux (both with gnomad2 and with mtpsync), so I have no reason to loose RDS modifying the firmware.

However, in the struggle to solve another issue (I saw all the titles of the songs in strange Asian chars), I have downgraded the firmware to the 1.11 MTP firmware, which is still downloadable in the Samsung website. After that I discovered that the problem of the Asian chars can be solved fixing the id3 tags of my songs and now I want to go back to 1.13, because 1.11 does not give me RDS and Stereo FMRadio. However, it does not work. When I copy the first file YP-U3J.ROM in System, the player seems just to ignore it completely. When I copy the second file YP-U3.RSC, then the player says that it is upgrading, but finally starts up as always, and the firmware is still the 1.11 one.

Does anyone know if in 1.11 version the way of upgrading the firmware was different, so that I have to copy the files somewhere else, or rename them?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Samsung Moderator

You have to copy both files (ROM and RSC) together at the same time.
Then disconnect your U3 and turn in on.
It should upgrade

Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Sadly no: it goes as in the second step of the official way. It says "Resource Updating", but after that 1.11 is there, as I can see in System About.
I have tried also with 1.13 US and 1.13 FR (I was using the EU version), but nothing, simply it stays with 1.11.

I have tried also to put the files in the root folder (instead of System), but no luck.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 AM

I have tried also to convert it to UMS 1.10, then back to MTP 1.11 with the DFU method,: everything works simply fine but, while I can then upgrade from 1.10 to 1.12, I can't upgrade from 1.11 to 1.13, so in any case RDS is lost. And also if I try to upgrade the firmware from 1.11 to 1.13 in windows with te Samsung Media Studio it tells me that there is not any newer firmware!

Since I used this more as a radio than as a mp3 player I cared a lot about RDS, but, since it seems that I have lost RDS forever, then UMS is actually a bit more comfortable and I will stay with UMS 1.12.

If anyone comes to know something about a DFU conversion directly to 1.13 with RDS, I would be extremely interested.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Default No good for me - but Banshee works well for .ogg in Ubuntu

Just signed up to say thanks and congrats to everyone whos been working on the hacks... Unfortunately I tried to convert the U3JQB I bought yesterday and failed Don't know if it could be because my player came preinstalled with the v.latest firmware (1.13), can anyone confirm this? Or maybe I just messed it up!

Ended up having to take the player back today, saying it didn't work - HAHA bit cheeky but then so's trying all this MTP, no flash drive, DRM business...

Anyway, for anyone using Ubuntu who doesn't want to use the hack then I'ld highly recomend using Banshee Media Player - it is much more functional than gnomad2 and labels all the ogg track info correctly in the player (artist, album, track...). Plus, obviously, none of the player features such as radio RDS are affected.

[NB: at the mo only the Banshee version available in "Add/Remove..." supports MTP. In the latest version (0.98) MTP is still in development. Also you may still need libmtp - not sure as i'ld already got that]

Hope that helps some people. Thanks again to everyone working on the hacks - its ridiculous that they're making products and delibrately preventing people from getting the full use out of them - bring on open source hardware! Keep up the good work

Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Help Confused

Hello. I just bought my U3 today and a few things are confusing me. I was expecting this to be an MTP device that needs software to transfer music, but my U3 worked exactly like a flash drive. I just dragged and dropped in Windows XP (I have WMP 10 installed which I never update/use). But what surprised me the most was that browsing in the player is done by tree folder. Isn't it supposed to be ID3? I was expecting ID3 browsing so I fixed the ID3 tags of my mp3s before putting them in the player, but in the end only the messy filenames got displayed. I thought maybe there was a way to activate ID3 browsing but nothing came up in the settings.

My question is, should I upgrade the firmware? I'd like to know what changes there will be if ever I upgrade it. I'd actually like it to stay as it is in terms of file transfer and browsing. Why is it that my player seems different? By the way, I have the firmware: VER 1.10 WA and my U3 is 1GB.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:31 AM

Maybe the store where you bought it sells the Korean version. I remember that I spotted Korean U3s in "Saturn" or "MediaMarkt" electronic disounts.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Default From 1.12 WA to 1.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlerb View Post
I would just like to add another success story.

I then upgraded it to 1.12 WA using the normal documented update process.

Cheers, Brian.

(*) An annoyance with the unit as it arrived was that the radio would only receive in mono, so I messed around with Windows XP, Windows Media Player 10 and MTP to upgrade it to 1.13. But after all that the radio was still mono...
Brian,
how did you upgrade from 1.12 WA to 1.13?
It seems that other people (e.g. Patroclo) tried but did not succeed on this.
Can you please post the steps of the process you used?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Yp-u3j

Folks,

I bought an YP-U3J Samsung player around X-Mas time 2007. The salesperson said it works with any new OS. Since I had Win2K at the time, and I was about to buy a Mac laptop, I wasn't concerned when I couldn't get the player to work. I only had 30 days to return the thing, and when I got my Mac laptop, I was eager to use my MP3 player.

Well, I paid for the thing, and it's been sitting around unused for over 6 months. I don't want to install XP on my mac just to use the player. I also don't want to spend umpteen hours doing wacky things to my player to get it to work. Even if the software costs a bit -- 10-20 bucks would be OK.

Should I just sell this thing and forget about it?
What player also has a recorder that is easy to use on the Mac OS?

Best,
Dainis

Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Default yet another success story..from New Zealand

Hi all,

Not normally the posting type, but felt compelled to post my appreciation. I don't know how many times the MTP firmware let me down, too many to count. I'm just so thrilled that my U3 is now much more than an expensive piece of eye-candy.

To all those who haven't seen the light: Yes, it REALLY does work and yes, it REALLY is that simple.

Thanks to all involved!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Default way too much time to invest

I want this player to work on my Mac. The salesperson told me it would. I've read just about every post here, and this is just WAY too much time to invest. I still haven't dared to do any flashing or dinking around...i mean...how long is that going to take? A whole day?

Is there a quick procedure to get my player to work on a mac...without going to a windows computer to do anything...anything I can do while sitting here in front of my mac to get the player to work?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Samsung Moderator

A whole day?
Rather 1 hour lol

There are maybe softwares on MAC which can recognize some MTP players. But I'm not sure

Old 08-23-2008, 04:21 AM

i have a problem!!my samsung yp-u3 recently stuffed up. when i turn it on all it says is log val=0x10000024 and i have know idea what to do???!!! i have seen that some people have had the same problem but i have not yet seen a solution. can any1 help???

Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Can you help me here guys. I started reading this thread, but it is 10 pages long, so I thought I would just ask. Did you all get it figured how to use the system change software using the DFU loader (I think it is called) to change from MTP (awful) to UMS (and back again if you wish)? I have a couple of these players and switch them around between MTP and UMS mainly as I use Linux which dont really speak MTP yet, so I know it is perfectly possible and relatively simple to do. If not post up and I will try to point you at the right instructions.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmorel View Post
Can you help me here guys. I started reading this thread, but it is 10 pages long, so I thought I would just ask. Did you all get it figured how to use the system change software using the DFU loader (I think it is called) to change from MTP (awful) to UMS (and back again if you wish)? I have a couple of these players and switch them around between MTP and UMS mainly as I use Linux which dont really speak MTP yet, so I know it is perfectly possible and relatively simple to do. If not post up and I will try to point you at the right instructions.
I just joined so I could say - yes please. I'm considering getting one of these since in most ways it does what I want but I use ubuntu. A quick fix to save me wading through 10 pages would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:20 AM

Default reply to candlerb's message

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlerb View Post
(*) An annoyance with the unit as it arrived was that the radio would only receive in mono, so I messed around with Windows XP, Windows Media Player 10 and MTP to upgrade it to 1.13. But after all that the radio was still mono...
For me, the stereo mode works when I change the "FM Region" settings to "Korea/US"

best regards

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM

ShevClancy, go here http://celtic.aion.hu/PROGRAM/Samsung_YP_U3/ and download the file DFU.zip. It should contain two sets of updaters, the MSC, which you want, and the MTP which is what you already have. There will also be a set of instructions in PDF format. Follow these carefully and you will be able to set up your device as a Mass storage device.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Thank you! thank you ! thank you!
My boyfriend and I are thanking you, finally this piece of you know what, works... very unfriendly device, hopefully it will work properly from now on.
thanks again !