android
Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Yes, mp3tag can rename files, move files and create folders according to id3 tags. I often use this feature.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, you can always use the Convert Tag-Filename option and set the Format String to:
%artist%\%_filename%

.... but if your tags are all in good shape, I find it easier to move them manually.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 AM

I used Mp3Tag to fix tags in my flac collection and Mp3Tag wrote ID3 Tags to them, I read somewhere that it is bad to use ID3 Tags with flac. Does writing ID3 Tags to flac files effect the audio quality of the files?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyer93 View Post
I used Mp3Tag to fix tags in my flac collection and Mp3Tag wrote ID3 Tags to them

i doubt that. mp3tag doesn't have any options you can set with regards to writing id3 tags to flac files. it just writes flac. look in the tag colum....

(unless you're using some old version i haven't seen before?? )

Old 06-26-2009, 02:32 PM

I am using the latest version in the column were it tells you what tags are with the files, it says flac tags and ID3v2.3.

Since then I stopped using Mp3Tag to edit flac tags and now I just use Foobar2000 to edit flac tags. I still use Mp3Tag to edit MP3 tags.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 AM

well i'm certain mp3tag did not actually write those tags. i guess it's just displaying the fact they exist. they must have been created elsewhere.....

i've used mp3tag extensively when i needed to embed album art in my files - and it only ever writes flac tags to flac files.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyer93 View Post
I used Mp3Tag to fix tags in my flac collection and Mp3Tag wrote ID3 Tags to them, I read somewhere that it is bad to use ID3 Tags with flac. Does writing ID3 Tags to flac files effect the audio quality of the files?
Where did you here that? I would like to know this as well. If you can't tag flac files without something bad happening then that defeats the purpose to me of using flac.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 AM

hi guys, does anybody here know how i could convert this filename:

101-bob_marley_and_the_wailers-bend_down_low.ogg

to a tag, where 101 means cd 1 track 01?

i can handle spaces and "-", but how do i tell the program to only read one character and then read the next two characters to another tag?

Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Use the 'tag - from filename' from the right click context menu. It has some help in the docs and is pretty self explanatory.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 PM

yes i used that, i mentioned that i can already use it fairly well, but i have NO CLUE about how to do what i described in my post above.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Samsung Moderator

I believe the syntax is something like %disc%%track% But if that doesn't work you could always use a program like ReNamer to rename the files to something that mp3tag likes more.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Mp3tag works now and also gives the pictures size so that can be choosed the one appropriate that can fit the screen that shows album art. I learned now how to tag mp3!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:56 PM

The problem with removing tags especially if one has mostly electronic / trance / house music, is that the online databases are pretty screwy. And the existing tags *may* be fine.
Any tips for people with large and relatively non-mainstream music collections?

*I'm making this judgment after my FIRST time with ONE track. Discogs of course is going to most likely have my stuff, in most cases, but .. in the case of this track, to scroll through 292 search results?!!?
And this is ONE track? And it was tagged fine as far as I could tell from the get-go, I guess I was just worried about the extraneous tags or somesuch.

Mind, I just got a new player today (Sansa Clip+) and so am trying to do everything extra-proper from the get-go.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ I am uber-picky about my tags/filename conventions.

For more obscure stuff or stuff like classical music, I try to get most of the meta info online using mp3tag via Amazon and then I will take the time to edit the tags to exactly how I want it...Yeah, it takes a bit of time, especially initially, but once it is done and you have a standard process/protocol that works, you can apply it each time you acquire new music.

And unless you are ripping/grabbing like 100 new CDs a day, it shouldn't take you too long each time...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM

I hope this is the right place to post this question:

I just downloaded MP3Tag. (Looks great, so far.) Here's what I want to do. I have a folder with a little over 200 mp3 files. Most have ID3v1 tags. Some have ID3v2 and APE also. I'd like to "select all", then copy all of the ID3v1 tags over to ID3v2. Then, simply delete all the ID3v1 and APE tags. (So that I'm left with just ID3v2 tags.)

Is this do-able in few clicks? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM

I may have figured this out already . . . this program is so easy. Tell me if I'm correct.

I set my "options" like the screengrab below. I then select "all" and do a "save". That writes all the ID3v2 tags. Then I just select all again and hit "delete".

Is that correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp3tag-capture.jpg (57.7 KB, 10 views)

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Administrator

It's fairly easy. Set your options to this

Drop your files into the large editing pane. Select them and save the tags. That makes sure all the info from the APE and ID3v1 tag is in the ID3v2 tag. Select them again and remove the tags. That should leave you with only ID3v2 tags.

You could also check the boxes to write all three tag types on the first pass then come back and uncheck the tag types you don't want on the second pass. That's probably safest. I was set up like the screen shot because I knew my tags were good and was just rewriting them to cut down on the database refresh time on my Sansas.

The type of ID3v2 tag you write also depends on which type you prefer. As you can see from the screen shot that setup is what the Sansa firmware is set to work with best. If you have a different need just change the type of ID3v2 to the type you prefer.

I'd create a copy of a few albums and experiment with those first. Trying to retag a large group of files that have been completely stripped of all tags can be a tremendous PIA. Don't ask me how I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (81.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by skip252; 02-22-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

skip, your image didn't post for some reason, fyi.

Tripzone, that's what I did a while ago, and it worked fine for me. But as skip said, make sure you try it on a few tracks or albums first, just in case. First time, I did about 200 files with all three delete boxes checked. That sucked. Anyways, good luck!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator

TY, steinburger1109. I think I copy-pasted the wrong BB Code . Visible now?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, your BB code is right, the link is a 404 when I paste it into my browser.