android
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 AM

Thanks guys. For my first run, I did just as you suggested. I created a folder called "SongTemp", and copied a bunch of MP3's into it. Thats my "guinea pig" folder 'til I make sure this all works. So far, so good.

Thanks again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 AM

Ok, that worked great, but with one little oddity. Quite a few of the files kept something called Lyrics3v2, and one single file kept its APEv2 tag. Any ideas on what happened here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp3tag-capture-02.jpg (57.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripzone View Post
... Any ideas on what happened here?
Under Tools/Options/Tags/Write what do you have checked off?

Edit: Also check what you have to write/remove under Ape, Mpc…

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure why all the APE tags weren't deleted, I've never had much in the way of APE tags and the few I had got wiped when I followed the procedure I outlined. I'd could check the file properties in Explorer to make sure they aren't write protected.

IIRC MP3Tag used to warn you it couldn't write a tag and offer to unlock them for you but it's been a while since I used it extensively. That may have changed.

I suspect the Lyrics3v2 tag isn't being removed because it's not specified in your settings. Try highlighting any files that's aren't being fixed and right click them.

You'll see the context menu that includes Extended tags. In that pane you can see all the tags MP3Tags recognizes and change them there. The different check boxes in the Extended tags pane allows you to specify more tags to add or remove.

Careful in there. That's what I think of as the power users workplace. "OK" writes any changes you've made immediately. If you're not certain about any changes you've made "Cancel" your way out of that pane. Once again, don't ask how I know.

Don't be surprised if you find all types of tags you can't remember writing. When I first cleaned my tags after years of using different software to create and tag my files I found tags had been written in fields I never existed. Various websites, Related People, BPM, Encoder settings and who knows how many other standard and custom tags had been jammed into tags.

I used the Extended Tags pane to find and eliminate everything but the tags I needed. After that the files loaded much quicker on my portable players and I had a lot fewer unexplained crashes and freezes.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM

What skip's saying is correct and does work but the program will not remember your choices using "extended tags" AFAIK. So "extended tags" is great for a few minor changes on some albums that your not going to tackle again. But the best way is to learn how to set up your options under that tabs I mentioned, that way every time you use mp3tag it'll have your same "write" options as the last time you used it and in the long run works better/easier for working on large jobs.

Edit: for clarification, the extended tags tool is very good and I’ve used it too when I need to make minor changes to some tracks that I regularly don’t do. I especially like how you can quickly scroll through all the loaded tracks in the main screen via the “>>” forward tool in lower right (you can see this behind the extended tab window) if there’s a number of tracks that you’re working on.

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I'm not sure why all the APE tags weren't deleted …
In the options picture you posted here note that there is Ape, Mpc … under the Mpeg you show, look in there and make sure the APEv2 is not checked under “Write” and you can also check the “Remove” one as well.

Last edited by WalkGood; 02-22-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

WalkGood, we went across his settings in post #36 and #37 of this thread. For some reason my graphics don't appear to be showing up but I can see the one that Tripzone posted and they're set pretty much the way I would to do what he wanted. If you can see those graphics could you review them and let us know if that's how you would set up? I think not having "Read APE" tags may be a problem? Other than that I'm not sure why removing the APE tags didn't work.

That's why I advised the Extended tags pane. If MP3Tag isn't considering the Lyrics3v2 tags a ID3v2 tag I don't think it would be included in removing those. I've found when investigating in the Extended tags pane there were sometimes other tags that were a problem. When I fixed what was wrong there the tags were removed and written according to what I had set in the Options.

Whoops, you posted while I was typing. I see you're checking the settings now.

Curiosity question, can you see the graphics I posted?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Take a look under this tab and remove the check mark to write APE should do it, I couldn't see that tab on either of the pictures in post #36 or #37. Let me know if that works as it's worked for me.

Edit: this would have be easier discussing in irc

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
Curiosity question, can you see the graphics I posted?
In post 37 yes but it's not on the "Ape, Mpc..." tab that I can see

Last edited by WalkGood; 02-22-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM

I hate to double post but thought some more pics could help. Here’s how I have mine set mine up and it works great. FYI you probably noticed that I don’t write v1’s, that’s because it causes issues in one of my players and without it all works fine. I also embed my AA with mp3tag but I’ve started also putting in the jpgArt into the folder as well.

Edit: please feel free to correct me or point out things/features that I don't use as I'm always learning too, thks

Last edited by WalkGood; 02-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks again guys. I now have my options set as Walkgood shows in the above post. (#48)

I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripzone View Post
Thanks again guys. I now have my options set as Walkgood shows in the above post. (#48)

I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow.
I noticed that skip uses and recommended to write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 which you may consider. I only use the UTF-16 because of some of my older players so you should consider trying his. I was only trying to point out how to remove writing APE tags on the other tab. But as he pointed out if there's only a few using the "Extended tags pane" would do it and changing your settings how I showed in the second pic would eliminate further writing of the APE tags.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Don't know if you can see it but at the bottom of the screenshot there should be a caption saying the accepted standard is UTF-16. The ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 setting was for compatibility with the OF recommendations and looking at speeding up the database refresh. Now that Rockbox has USB support for all my sandisk DAPs I'll be going with whatever foobar2000 writes. They work everywhere I've tried them.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Don't know if you can see it but at the bottom of the screenshot there should be a caption saying the accepted standard is UTF-16. The ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 setting was for compatibility with the OF recommendations and looking at speeding up the database refresh. Now that Rockbox has USB support for all my sandisk DAPs I'll be going with whatever foobar2000 writes. They work everywhere I've tried them.
I hear you but in my case not all my players are rockboxable, I don't use foobar2k to write tags and after testing them it works best for me. That's why I posted the heads up to Tripzone.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Just as an FYI, I don't plan on RockBoxing, (works good as it is), and I don't foobar. (Although, I sometimes fubar.)

I had Mp3Tag on my 'puter quite some time ago, and then unloaded it because the help file wasn't that great. This "sticky" got me 99.5% farther than I've ever got before. She's a keeper now.

Good forum, good thread. Thanks all.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad you got it working.

Mp3tag is really a great program. Saved me a lot of trouble when I realized how messed up my tags were .

And FYI foobar2000 is quite great too . It's an awesome media player, and I also use it to organize, rip and convert my music.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Hey McD. I'm familiar with Foobar2k by virtue of hanging out a bit in HydrogenAudio. I know its a cool program. The thing that "holds" me to WinAmp and VUPlayer, is their ability to use iZotope's Ozone plug-in. Let me say up front, that I consider most plug-ins to be "toys". OzoneMP is a subset of Ozone5, which is pro-quality mastering software. (Btw, I have no affiliation with iZotope.) The things you can do with this software, (which is not free, but reasonable), is amazing. I can create presets for my different headphones, different speakers, etc.

Anyway . . . I didn't mean to ramble on about Ozone, but it's my favorite DSP plug-in. Still, I may check out FB2K again.

Cheers man.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM

i don't use VSTs myself but i have noticed this when browsing the foobar forums.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=84947

Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i don't use VSTs myself but i have noticed this when browsing the foobar forums.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=84947
You can read more info http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....ts/VST_adapter

Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 PM

But those are VST plug-ins, licensed from Steinberg, intended for pro studio work. I think the Ozone VST is around 600 bucks. OzoneMP, (MP as in media player), is around $29. Big difference in price, but a surprisingly small difference in functionality.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 AM

haha oops. i just saw the word izotope and automatically assumed it was a VST thingy. quite a difference in price there.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 AM

There are thousands of freeware and commercial DSP plug-ins available, you just happen to focus on an expensive one. Foobar2000: Components/VST adapter is a component which allows Foobar2000 users to use VST 2.4 plug-ins.