android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen WAV

Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM
ABI Founder

Default Creative Zen WAV Available in the US

I have been lagging on the review of this player because I didnt think it would ever come to the States. However, its here and available at Walmart for $99 for the 4GB and $79 for the 2GB. I will finish up the review for you in the next day or two.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM

id rather pay a few bucks more for the zen v or v plus

Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M View Post
id rather pay a few bucks more for the zen v or v plus
Yup im with you on that... the WAV is a niche player for people who want built in speakers

Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Since the 4GB version is black, which looks a LOT better than the ugly retro-silver 2GB version, This player is worth considering for me. The colour was the biggest disappointment of this player. The design still isn't state of the art, but it looks quite nice now imo. The interface also looks better than the one on the V+. The price is great too...

Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 AM

I'd be interested for listening to audiobooks.

the design looks pretty blah. even the toy-looking zen v plus is more enticing.

but someone mentioned it has no volume controls and you have to go thru the menu? what were they thinking?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 AM

I Should have mine by the middle of this week I'll post my Impressions.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
ABI Founder

Here is my review:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...wav-review.php

Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM

I've had my Zen Wav for a few days now; close to a week. I love it!

For what it's worth I also have a Zen V Plus, which I also like a lot. But the Wav is the better player.

First, the speakers make a huge difference for me. I can use the headphones when I want to and leave them behind when I want and still walk around with the book I'm listening to following me from room to room. That is very nice.

My main use for an MP3 player is audiobooks. That's probably 95% of what I use it for. I also keep a bit of music on board when I want a change of pace, as well as some old time radio shows and a few other things. Also a couple of cartoons now that I can do that.

The feel of the controls on the Wav are just right. They and the interface are easy to use and right where I want them. The feel of the device in my hand is just right. It's basically the same player as the Zen V Plus but it fits my hand far better and the controls are easier to use.

The color is ugly, as was said. Too bad. I didn't buy it to make myself look good. I already look great! I bought it to listen to audiobooks and it's perfect for that. By the way, I do have the 4 gig model and it's darker grey than the other one but not black or even close to black. I'd call it a medium grey.

I have no idea yet about battery life. I've listened to two complete books and watched a few cartoons and I've listened to a couple of OTR shows and the battery is still about 2/3 full. So battery life is obviously good but I have no idea how good.

The review mentioned that if you plug in the headphone the volume drops to a reasonable level and like the reviewer, I like that a lot. What it didn't mention was the other side of that. When you turn it on planning to listen to the speaker it starts playing right away but the speaker still has to be turned on. So I have to pause it, turn on the speaker, and then rewind a little to catch the few words that were spoken before I paused it. The pause control doesn't come to life till a few seconds after it starts playing. They should have had a setting that lets it begin with the speaker or begin paused or something. Hopefully they'll add that later.

And now the big problem! Fast foward and rewind don't accellerate; or if they do accellerate it's not enough to notice. Getting to the second half of a 45 minute file ripped from an audiobook tape is painful. It's almost impossible. It takes forever. When I got the player I was already about half way into a book that I had on the Zen V as a single 9 hour file. Fast forwarding on the Zen V to find my place would be a breeze but on the Wav it just couldn't be done. My thumb gave up after about 5 minutes and I still had a long long way to go. They really really really need to fix this. It's the only Creative player they've made in a while with a bad FF and REW.

I finally gave up and removed the portion of the file I'd already heard so it would start at the right place. Then I put it back on the player and all was well.

Resume works perfectly and so far has never failed. It seems solid as a rock. The same for bookmarks. Never a problem. Never a lost one after connecting it to the computer, etc. And setting a bookmark on this player is a snap. It's easily the easiest creative player to set bookmarks on. I tend to listen at night in bed and I keep setting bookmarks every few minutes so if I fall asleep and lose my place the last bookmark is sort of where I was before falling asleep. It's easy to do that with the Wav.

The sound is fine through headphones. Through the speaker it's fine for audiobooks and okay for music now and then. The player is very small and I wouldn't give that up for better speakers. They got this right, in my opinion.

All in all this has become my favorite player. And, so no-one will think it's because I haven't tried their favorite, I have a Zen V Plus, a Zen VM, a Zen VW, a Micro, an Xtra, a Muvo TX, a Muvo N100, a Muvo Slim, a Muvo V100, a Zen Nano Plus, a Zen Touch, some others I can't recall, an Archos 504, an Archos 404, several Sansas in different flavors, several Irivers, an Insignia, etc. I've been looking for just the right player and I think I finally found it. Now I can throw all those others away and make some room in my apartment.

I love my Zen Wav!

Barry

Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM

I nearly forgot to mention that what was said about not having a dedicated volume control isn't true. The joystick functions as a volume control when it's pushed up or down. It's FF/REW when it's pushed side to side.

Barry

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've had my Zen Wav for a few days now; close to a week. I love it!

For what it's worth I also have a Zen V Plus, which I also like a lot. But the Wav is the better player.

First, the speakers make a huge difference for me. I can use the headphones when I want to and leave them behind when I want and still walk around with the book I'm listening to following me from room to room. That is very nice.

My main use for an MP3 player is audiobooks. That's probably 95% of what I use it for. I also keep a bit of music on board when I want a change of pace, as well as some old time radio shows and a few other things. Also a couple of cartoons now that I can do that.

The feel of the controls on the Wav are just right. They and the interface are easy to use and right where I want them. The feel of the device in my hand is just right. It's basically the same player as the Zen V Plus but it fits my hand far better and the controls are easier to use.

The color is ugly, as was said. Too bad. I didn't buy it to make myself look good. I already look great! I bought it to listen to audiobooks and it's perfect for that. By the way, I do have the 4 gig model and it's darker grey than the other one but not black or even close to black. I'd call it a medium grey.

I have no idea yet about battery life. I've listened to two complete books and watched a few cartoons and I've listened to a couple of OTR shows and the battery is still about 2/3 full. So battery life is obviously good but I have no idea how good.

The review mentioned that if you plug in the headphone the volume drops to a reasonable level and like the reviewer, I like that a lot. What it didn't mention was the other side of that. When you turn it on planning to listen to the speaker it starts playing right away but the speaker still has to be turned on. So I have to pause it, turn on the speaker, and then rewind a little to catch the few words that were spoken before I paused it. The pause control doesn't come to life till a few seconds after it starts playing. They should have had a setting that lets it begin with the speaker or begin paused or something. Hopefully they'll add that later.

And now the big problem! Fast foward and rewind don't accellerate; or if they do accellerate it's not enough to notice. Getting to the second half of a 45 minute file ripped from an audiobook tape is painful. It's almost impossible. It takes forever. When I got the player I was already about half way into a book that I had on the Zen V as a single 9 hour file. Fast forwarding on the Zen V to find my place would be a breeze but on the Wav it just couldn't be done. My thumb gave up after about 5 minutes and I still had a long long way to go. They really really really need to fix this. It's the only Creative player they've made in a while with a bad FF and REW.

I finally gave up and removed the portion of the file I'd already heard so it would start at the right place. Then I put it back on the player and all was well.

Resume works perfectly and so far has never failed. It seems solid as a rock. The same for bookmarks. Never a problem. Never a lost one after connecting it to the computer, etc. And setting a bookmark on this player is a snap. It's easily the easiest creative player to set bookmarks on. I tend to listen at night in bed and I keep setting bookmarks every few minutes so if I fall asleep and lose my place the last bookmark is sort of where I was before falling asleep. It's easy to do that with the Wav.

The sound is fine through headphones. Through the speaker it's fine for audiobooks and okay for music now and then. The player is very small and I wouldn't give that up for better speakers. They got this right, in my opinion.

All in all this has become my favorite player. And, so no-one will think it's because I haven't tried their favorite, I have a Zen V Plus, a Zen VM, a Zen VW, a Micro, an Xtra, a Muvo TX, a Muvo N100, a Muvo Slim, a Muvo V100, a Zen Nano Plus, a Zen Touch, some others I can't recall, an Archos 504, an Archos 404, several Sansas in different flavors, several Irivers, an Insignia, etc. I've been looking for just the right player and I think I finally found it. Now I can throw all those others away and make some room in my apartment.

I love my Zen Wav!

Barry
One thing I'd like to see them change in FW is the ability to listen to the Radio thru the speakers, right now you need the Headphones for the Antenna, and the Speakers would be perfect for the Ball game and sports channel. II agree I like the player better than the V, the V seems a bit plasticky to me and this one does not. I have'nt tried the video yet but I did convert a file. I have'nt tried audiobooks, but how do ebooks work? It certainly cannot use DRM's Ebooks. You have alot of Players How is the Zen W I've been considering it of late.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 PM

I just tried the video on a converted tv show it's pretty small and the 15fps restriction makes it a bit hitchy, I agree cartoons would be perfect. Can the image be flipped to play Landscape? It would really make things alot bigger.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:31 PM

They give you two options for video conversion: letterbox or cropped. I think the screen is square although I'm not sure of that, and if it is there won't be any landscaped. Cropping chops of as much of each side as needed to make it fill the screen. I've used both options and cropping seems the better choice for the videos I've tried but for some it might not be.

I like the idea of having a cartoon on board mostly to show off to kids. That can be kind of fun when I'm in a waiting room, etc. The speakers make that practical and it gives them and me something to do to pass the time. I also have a couple of converted music videos. I doubt I'll use either very much. The picture is too small to be anything more than a novelty.

I have put a couple of ebook short stories on it and read one of them. It was easy enough to read. I don't think I'd want to read a novel this way. The page flipping works well but it's too hard to change the speed on the fly so scrolling or paging manually is easier for me. They've done this pretty well but the screen is just too small for it to be an important feature.

I have a friend that likes the idea of reading books while listening to the audiobook and he's thinking of getting one to try that.

You asked about the Zen Vision:W. If pockets were bigger so it could always be in my shirt pocket and not weigh it down, that would be the perfect player. I use it mostly for videos but it's great for audiobooks, too. The speaker is better than the Wav's speaker, but not by much.

What I've really wanted, and now finally have, is a player small enough to live in my shirt pocket out of the way and un-noticed till I need it. The Wav's speaker makes that very practical. I'll still carry headphones in a small holder in my pocket but I'll only use them when the speaker would disturb others. I've found my player, finally.

Barry

Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I nearly forgot to mention that what was said about not having a dedicated volume control isn't true. The joystick functions as a volume control when it's pushed up or down. It's FF/REW when it's pushed side to side.

Barry
That's not a dedicated volume control. A dedicated volume control would be a pair of buttons, a rocker, or a slider, whose only function is to control the volume.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM

The Zen WAV looks better than any of the other candy colored, sucked out, Zen players available... certainly the best looking Creative player in a long time.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 PM

i hope your exaggerating Dftk XD its certainly the UGLIEST. it doesnt even have the cute look of the V plus, or the similar looks of the other Zen players.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM

No, I'm serious - for me this player looks a lot better than any other Creative DAP. YMMV.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM

I don't think the Wav is bad looking, really. Or particularly good looking. It just is. It spends most of it's life on either my nightstand or in my shirt pocket so I'm not sure how much this matters.

As for the volume control not being truly dedicated, in that it's used for other purposes, I guess I half way agree. Of course the up and down movement are dedicated to volume unless it's in a menu.

Anyway, the point to me is that you don't have to use the menu system to adjust volume. There's a control for that at hand.

Barry

Old 09-03-2007, 07:33 PM

I am looking to get this mp3 player. Actually, I wanted to get one with speakers and I think this is the cheapest of the 3. In the review, it states:

"If you have used any Creative player in the Zen family, you will be familiar with the Zen WAV, since it is nearly identical."

I've never used any Creative player in the Zen family and I'm on 56K so I can't watch any of the videos of the interface.

I'm currently using an iRiver iFP-799 and it has file based browsing. From the looks of the pictures, it doesn't look like the Zen does. I don't use ID3 tags for the most part. I sort my music by alphabetical order (no albums, genres, rating, etc.) because that makes more sense to me.

What I'm looking to do is this:

Music
> A - E
> F - J
> K - O
> P - T
> U - Z
OC ReMix
(Same folder scheme as above)
PC Music

So can I do the above with Creative's interface?

I have a lot of Creative products but no mp3 player due to the lack of UMS support and this is the first one I've seen.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry, but no. Most Zen players database songs based on their ID3 tags. In the absence of tags, it will list your songs by filename in the "All Tracks" list only - and folder structure is ignored.

Using simple file/folder navigation, you can arrange your music by one criteria only. With ID3Tag navigation, you can quickly arrange and find your music by any number of criteria. You can quickly find songs by genre, by album name, artist, title...

But if you're not interested in this sort of databasing, then the Zen-series players are probably not for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the response.

I really wanted to get a Creative player but it looks like I'll have to pass.