android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen WAV

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphabetBackward View Post
I'm currently using an iRiver iFP-799 and it has file based browsing. From the looks of the pictures, it doesn't look like the Zen does. I don't use ID3 tags for the most part. I sort my music by alphabetical order (no albums, genres, rating, etc.) because that makes more sense to me.

What I'm looking to do is this:

Music
> A - E
> F - J
> K - O
> P - T
> U - Z
OC ReMix
(Same folder scheme as above)
PC Music

So can I do the above with Creative's interface?
The Zen WAV player is UMS when you connect it to the computer. The best way to put files on it is with Windows Explorer. But when it's not connected to the computer navigation is done with ID3 tags.

Like you, I'd prefer to use files and folders the whole time but that isn't an option.

However, there is a way to sort of fake it and this is what I do. I make the file name and the title in the ID3 tag the same. I make the ID3 album the same that I would normally use for the folder. That makes navigating ID3 tags similar to navigating files and folders. Not always and it's not perfect but it's close enough.

Barry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 AM

It was actually the UMS and the speakers that made me interested in the Wav.

But the lack of folder sorting is a big enough negative for me to look the other way; I'd get the Samsung K5 if it weren't so expensive and I think it can be UMS and has folder (and ID3) sorting.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 AM

Default l like my wav, but

The speaker function is a definite plus for me since I mostly use it for podcasts and audio books, and also as a voice recorder. And the battery life is truly amazing.
But: after struggling to set it up for a couple of days I thought I would post a few things I have learned that might save others some time.
1. It is not compatible with audible.com files at present. I thought it would be since it like a Zen V with speakers added. After several hours of trying various tricks I called audible and they said forget it for now. I have many audible files that I can only hear with my old Creative Muvo for now.
2. There is a preview function for voice recordings that allows you to immediately listen to what you have recorded. Could be very useful, but as far as I can tell, again after much struggle, this can only be done with headphones. External speakers evidently can't be turned on in this mode.
3.The Usb connection only works if the Wav is directly plugged into the computer; plugging it into my usb hub (powered hub) doesn't allow files to be seen. I normally use an Inspiron Laptop with only one usb port into which I plug my hub, and plug a my external mouse into that hub along with a printer, etc. So when my Wav is connected I cannot use any of these other devices. Not being able to use the external mouse is a big problem for me since my abilities with the laptop touchpad leave much to be desired. Does anyone know of a usb hub that might allow the Wav to work? I know there are usb chargers on the market, but I need a way to see the files on the Wav while both it and the mouse are connected to my laptop.