android
Old 05-18-2006, 02:37 PM

Default FM Transmitter

Does anyone know of a good FM transmitter to use with my ZVM? I bought a basic one (GE) that plugs into the headphone slot... kinda sucks. iPod has all these awesome gadgets. Is there a company doing this for the ZVM?

Last edited by Xoxidine; 05-18-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Editor

I have yet to come across an FM transmitter that works (well). Even the add on ipod transmitters are garbage. The problem is that the FCC puts a cap on how much power the device can transmit and it is usually not enough.

I have heard that this Crane FM transmitter works, but have yet to try it first hand. There are also hacking guides to turn up the power by simply opening it up and turning a tiny dial.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 PM

Hm. That's a bit more than I was planning on paying. Where are the guides to hack the FM transmitters

Old 05-18-2006, 11:13 PM

See

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166316

post #4 refers to a $15 transmitter that supposedly works better than other transmitters.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 AM

standard FM transmitters suck! my car amp has an audio input so i hook my zen to it you can buy a tape adapter and you will get better sound than with the FM transmitter unless its hacked

Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM

I highly agree, problem is, my new car dosen't have a tape adapter how ironic that i choose that over a CD player.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM

FYI, I tried the transmitter in MusicOnly's post, as I had read in other places that it was a nicer one than most. It's this one. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is also a piece of junk. I can sometimes get it to lock on to the signal when I'm in my own driveway, but even then the sound is hollow and distored. As soon as I get out of my own neighborhood, I can't get a thing - it's just static. It's a very frustrating situation since my stereo headunit in my car won't accept a tape adaptor (ejects every time saying "CHK TAPE") and all of these FM transmitters are junk. If anyone has any experience with something that works, I'd love to hear about it, as I'm now stuck with a Vision: M that I can't use in my car - one of the main reasons I got a player in the first place. That Crane transmitter is more money than I wanted to spend, but if it works, I may have to take a harder look.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Here's a possible solution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedpoet
It's a very frustrating situation since my stereo headunit in my car won't accept a tape adaptor (ejects every time saying "CHK TAPE") and all of these FM transmitters are junk. If anyone has any experience with something that works, I'd love to hear about it, as I'm now stuck with a Vision: M that I can't use in my car
What model car do you have? If your head unit has a CD changer port, chances are you might be able to find a way to play through that.

I have an '05 Honda Civic Hybrid with OEM CD/radio, and bought a P-I-E HON98-AUX adapter. The box has a set of stereo RCA female jacks ... the box 'tricks' the head unit into thinking a CD changer is installed. I push "CD CHANGER" and I can play my ZVM. The sound is fantastic.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com is where I bought mine ... they seem to have such boxes for other makes. Give it a try. Installation may or may not be difficult (mine took a couple of hours and an expletive or two) depending on your car, but IMO very much worth it. And beats Hades out of those hinky cassette adapters, and FM clunkers.

Good luck!

--Russell W.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:38 PM

i use the fancy schamncy tape deck adapter. works like a charm. i tried an FM transmitter and didn't like it.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaga
What model car do you have? If your head unit has a CD changer port, chances are you might be able to find a way to play through that.

I have an '05 Honda Civic Hybrid with OEM CD/radio, and bought a P-I-E HON98-AUX adapter. The box has a set of stereo RCA female jacks ... the box 'tricks' the head unit into thinking a CD changer is installed. I push "CD CHANGER" and I can play my ZVM. The sound is fantastic.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com is where I bought mine ... they seem to have such boxes for other makes. Give it a try. Installation may or may not be difficult (mine took a couple of hours and an expletive or two) depending on your car, but IMO very much worth it. And beats Hades out of those hinky cassette adapters, and FM clunkers.

Good luck!

--Russell W.

Thanks for the advice, alaga. I have a '04 Chevy Impala. I haven't crawled behind the console yet to look at the back of the head unit, but I should have a chance to do that this weekend. I know a factory cd changer was available for this vehicle, so it should have some method of connection.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM

It looks like this adaptor might be what I'm looking for. I'll need to verify that I have the correct connector on my factory radio, but I think that I do. $70 is a good amount of money, but for the ability to output directly to the stereo system without an FM modulator or tape adaptor, this may be worth it. Combine it with one of these output cables, and you get a nice strong output signal without needing your sync adaptor. Of course, then you can't charge your ZVM, so there is a downside. They need to make one of these for the ZVM so that you don't need your sync adaptor, video cable, and a DC power cable cluttering up the inside of the car. Maybe some day...

Old 06-10-2006, 02:31 PM

I use the iRiver AFT 100 because I don't have a tape deck ( ), but it works pretty well for me because it has three presets. I pick the three stations that transmit the best for me in my city, and if one gets a little to static-y, I just switch to another. It gets pretty decent sound, but I still wish I had a tape adapter or I could just plug my Zen Touch straight into my car.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:14 AM

Definitely check out Logjam Electronics. They have thos boxes like MusicOnly linked for most makes of cars. They go for around $70, which is a good amount of scratch, but I think I'm going to go for it. Car listening is one of the main reasons why I bought my Zen, and if it costs 70 bucks to get really great sound, then I'll just have to set the money aside. I have a good first impression of Logjam, as I emailed them asking their opinion on the 2 boxes made for my car by different companies. They got back to me within a couple of hours.

Incidentally, I was looking through my car owner's manual yesterday to verify the type of stereo I had, and I found out that I could in fact use a tape adaptor, I just have to hold down a certain button every time to turn on an "override" so that the radio doesn't spit the thing out every time. What a hassle.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedpoet
It looks like this adaptor might be what I'm looking for. I'll need to verify that I have the correct connector on my factory radio, but I think that I do. $70 is a good amount of money, but for the ability to output directly to the stereo system without an FM modulator or tape adaptor, this may be worth it. Combine it with one of these output cables, and you get a nice strong output signal without needing your sync adaptor. Of course, then you can't charge your ZVM, so there is a downside. They need to make one of these for the ZVM so that you don't need your sync adaptor, video cable, and a DC power cable cluttering up the inside of the car. Maybe some day...
The oldest car on that list is a 2003 I have a 1983! Oh well.