android
Old 08-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Rockbox on the X5 - any pros for it?

I have no experience with either the X5 or with Rockbox. My X5 should be arriving tomorrow, however, and I see that Rockbox supports the X5. Has anyone used it? does it affect sound quality at all? I see on the Rockbox website that it supports gapless playback - does the X5 support gapless playback with the included firmware?

Basically - can anyone list pros and cons to using Rockbox on the X5?
If so - thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Me too

I would also like to know if I should even try to install RockBox on my x5?

Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 PM

I'll put my hand up too as someone who wants to know if I should use rockbox or not.

Apart from invalidating the warranty, which is obviously a slight negative, will there be a noticable improvement over the standard firmware?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:59 AM

I'm in the same boat.

Here's what I've picked up so far -

While it can invalidate your warranty, if you can get the original firmware back on, you're fine.

It's not finished yet, but it's nearly finished. Some charging issues and the LCD add-on aren't finished. (As far as I know).

It can handle more file formats... I think...

Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 PM

Rockbox advantages:
  • Record to uncompressed WAV, up to 48khz
  • Gapless playback
  • MPC, AAC, Shorten support (next to the already huge variety the X5 plays back)
  • Browsing via ID3-tag or file/folder
  • Completely customisable GUI
  • Album art display
  • Games (including Tetris, Arkanoid, Pong, etc - and Doom!)
  • Full Parametric EQ
  • etc.
And a lot more I can't think about now. You don't have to lose the original firmware because of Rockbox, there is already a dual-boot option.

Best you read the Rockbox-FAQ.

Here are some Rockbox screenshots on the X5.

Here's me playing Doom:

Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM

And doesn't the Rockbox also allow you to save various profiles? Thus if you are listening with one set of headphones you can customize the settings and then save them.

Then you can set up and save other profiles for other output options, like other headphones, or maybe when playing thru a stereo.

At least this option was present for my now dead Archos (may it rest in peace!) and it was very nice being able to do that.

Of course maybe the X5 has this built in. I don't know... I just ordered mine!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 PM

No, you can't have profiles on the original firmware like it's possible with Rockbox.

That's why I love dual-booting Rockbox: With headphones I use the original firmware and the BBE sound enhancements. For line-out playback I use Rockbox and the parametric EQ.

That's the best of both worlds.

AJRobson, where did you order the X5?

Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM

Got from Amazon. $313 with two day shipping.

It arrived here today and I am busily re-ripping all my CD's to flac.

It sounds awesome. I think I'll wait a few days before trying the Rockbox. I want to learn all the native features before upgrading so I'll appreciate the Rockbox more.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:25 PM

I read something that the battery time on the Rockbox goes down to about 10 hours instead of it's claimed 14 hours on the original firmware. This true?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja
I read something that the battery time on the Rockbox goes down to about 10 hours instead of it's claimed 14 hours on the original firmware. This true?
Yes, power handling for Rockbox on the X5 isn't optimized yet: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...de_and_drivers

Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nud3EskimoNinja
Update: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11705

Quote:
25 Oct 06:10 Mike Sevakis firmware/SOURCES 1.122
firmware/target/coldfire/iaudio/x5/pcf50606-x5.c 1.11
firmware/target/coldfire/iaudio/x5/system-x5.c 1.4 Pinched pcf50606 i2c code used in iRiver players and adapted to x5. Boost ratios down as much as 100 percent for mp3 and 50 percent for vorbis. mp3 hardly ever boosts even with eq. Scrolling much sharper. Like a whole new player. The code can be used for both iRiver and x5 by just defining macros with the appropriate ports and bit numbers for each player. Probably will have a pcf50606-coldfire.c soon.
Quote:
I've done a few tests on my X5 with rockbox and I can say that for my 600mAh replaced battery and with 128kbps MP3, I got:
- 8h for the original firmware (2.10-e)
- 10h with recent CVS build with album art

So rockbox IS better in battery runtime or at least for MP3.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:58 AM

I just received my X5L a few days ago. Man, this little player is really nice! Sure glad I picked this one, instead of the Sandisk e200 series 8gig I was looking at.

To be honest, I really wasn't that keen on the OEM firmware and OS of this device, but it was okay. Then, yesterday I installed RockBox. Now, this is the way a mp3 player ought to be!! Rockbox is just awesome! Completely configurable GUI, to include scroll speeds, themes...hell, I can't even remember all the things you can do with it! What I really appreciate is you can delete files you decide you don't want "on-the-fly", right from the file browser, as they're playing!! I also like that it's open source, with improvements being made everyday.

Build quality of the X5L is excellent! I just can't say enough about this player, and also of Rockbox! There's no way I'll ever go back to the OEM firmware/OS.

I only wish this forum were more active, doesn't seem to be that many folks here. Oh well!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau92
I only wish this forum were more active, doesn't seem to be that many folks here. Oh well!
Well, forums are active when people post their problems... since there aren't that many with the X5, the community stays quiet...

If you look here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...isplay.php?f=3 - at least we got 400 posts for Cowon/iAudio...

Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 PM

how much is rockbox and how do you install it ?? im thinking on getting an x5 and was wondering .

Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 AM

Wow, makes me want to trade in my ZV:M it really does.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangmans joke View Post
how much is rockbox and how do you install it ?? im thinking on getting an x5 and was wondering .
How much - like in money? It's free open source software.

Installing is very easy. Just drag'n'drop the bootloader to the X5, extract the Rockbox ZIP to the X5, reboot.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Rockbox = Amazing

I can definitely say Rockbox makes a great player even better. With the original firmware, flipping through songs had my battery dying real fast, a problem I never had with my old iRiver. But with Rockbox, the flipping doesn't effect battery life anywhere near as badly, which was a massive plus for me.

For more help and info on Rockbox, the iAudiophile.net/Rockbox forum is great.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM

is the X5 battery lith-ion i assume. Also, assuming one puts rockbox on it straight out of the box, battlife=? 14 hours is not bad I guess considering it's powering a HDD.

Also, once the battery life starts dimineshing, how much is a replacement battery? And ease of replacement = ?

EDIT: I have some extra money from taxes and am considering investing in the X5 primarily for music and also for a "super sized thumb drive" since I do alot of tech work.

Would the X5 be a satisfactory "thumb drive" or does it require driver installation and such.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
MSC Playlist editor
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=2381

Old 02-17-2007, 12:46 PM

The X5 is pure UMS, none of that hassle you have to put up with in many other players. It's just a 30GB FAT32 hard disk, you can store anything anywhere on the X5 - and access it on any computer.

Cowon exchanges batteries for less money than other companies. I had my X5L for nearly two years, my battery still is fine.

You'd be in for a treat, sound-wise... coming from a Sansa. Not to mention virtually no bugs. I never had to reset my X5 once in all the years...

Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM

X5 = X5L?

Anyways that is what I was hoping you would say.
What about this...
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
MSC Playlist editor
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=2381

Last edited by EnzoTen; 02-22-2007 at 08:09 PM.