android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Software & Media > Software

View Poll Results: Which media players do you use?
Amarok 2 1.69%
dBpoweramp 5 4.24%
iTunes 20 16.95%
Foobar2000 29 24.58%
JetAudio 7 5.93%
Media Jukebox 5 4.24%
MediaMonkey 42 35.59%
Muine 0 0%
Music Player Daemon 0 0%
Songbird 2 1.69%
Winamp 25 21.19%
Windows Media Player 23 19.49%
VLC 13 11.02%
Zune Software 14 11.86%
MusicBee 6 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Arrow Right Which software do you prefer to sync and manage your files?

Sony Media Manager?
Windows Media Player?
MediaMonkey?
SongBird?

Or have you found something better that syncs files and makes playlists etc?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Winamp and Mediamonkey. Done. For my library and to manage my MTP DAPs.

A bit more elaboration if you care...

Winamp and MMonkey both monitor my entire music library, at present a paltry 15k tracks when compared to many others. I use Winamp to manage my MTP DAPs like my Sony E, older Creatives, etc - I find Winamp to be bulletproof at managing those MTP players and for creating/editing perfect playlists on the devices. For my Rockbox'd and MSC players, I simply use Explorer to add/delete music.

If you are using the stock Fuze for instance, YAPL and video4Fuze [search ABi for both] are the only 2 apps I have found which will successfully create what I call "mixed media" playlists - that is, playlists using songs from both the main memory of the Fuze and any installed microSDHC card.

Rockbox, by its very nature and design, obviates the need for apps like YAPL/video4Fuze for me for the creation of playlists. Rockbox allows for the creation of near infinite number of playlists/near infinite number of song directly from the device. Only one of the enormous benefits of Rockbox.

I rip from CDs using either EAC or the older [but I still like it] CDEx. The most recent LAME version is always used whenever possible.

For eons now, I have tagged and added embedded album art for all my music exclusively via mp3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/.

As part of my own process before any music gets added to my permanent collection, I use 4 separate mp3/audio file testing applets to scan for header and file integrity [though I may cut back and only use foobar2k's quite great Verify Integrity plugin exclusively at some point].

A lot of work, perhaps. But my entire collection is as perfect as I demand it to be, simply with the application of a little work and elbow grease beforehand.

I am the envy of all my friends, who constantly struggle with unidentified tracks on their players with ugly or no album art.

Silly fools.

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 10-12-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: more detail...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Thanks for your reply, I have just changed from a Sansa Clip+ in which I needed no software (just MP3Tag to tag and embed album art)to copy files to a Sony X1060 in which things need to be synced properly using software. Winamp is (or was) the media player I used to make playlists and play music but it seems the X1060 doesn't work with it at all so it needs to be replaced.
Surprisingly I find Windows Media Player 12 is the best to use and to sync music\playlists\content from BBC iPlayer to the Sony, unfortunately its a hideous pale blue colour which cannot be changed and makes me feel sick looking at it.
I have also been testing out MediaMonkey and Songbird which I'm hating using, especially compared to Winamp.
So is WMP the way to go (there must be a hack somewhere make it look decent) or have I forgotten a program that will do everything I need?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you like WMP12, but don't like the look, you may be able to learn something here.... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.85%29.aspx if you want to make your own. Or here is a list of a few color schemes...http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...tml#post638521

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Hi lestatar
I am also a fan of MP3 Tag...today I spent ages tagging or checking 2000+ files. I was so pleased when I updated the artwork going from 120x120 to usually 500 x 500. In MP3 Tag they looked amazing, really clean. But when transferring to my X series 32 gb via windows drap and drop the artwork looks awful and blurry...the very thing I was trying to get away from! Some albums like Head First by Goldfrapp were perfect. But most of them were terrible...any idea how I can make this work properly? Any advice would be very welcome!

EDIT: Is this an issue with MP4 files? I know the program is MP"3" tag but the artwork updated OK within the tag program...maybe the X series cannot read the tags in the same way for an MP4 files...

Last edited by Portable Goodness; 10-13-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Moment of possible enlightenment

Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

PortableGoodness:

I am travelling at the moment with tenuous and sporadic wifi.

AFAIK, mp3tag does support mp4 files. But you are embedding the artwork correct?

I use the same size as you, 500x500. On my Sony E, all artwork looks great - sharp and clear.

The only additional step I do is I set the mp3 file attributes to read only when i am done tagging and embedding the artwork. I also use MTP mode and Winamp to copy music over to the E345.

That's the only suggestions I have for you atm....

sorry!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM

In the Software & Media forum there are numerous threads on this topic and on individual software to sync and manage your music files. I’m going to merge your thread with two others …

Edit: completed

BTW I now use winamp, foobar and mediamonkey for different things ... added EAC, mp3tag ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

EAC, foobar2000, xrecode II, Mediamonkey Gold, MP3Tag.....and MrQuestionman and MediaInfo...I think that covers everything I use with my music.

Actually, Photoshop CS4 is sometimes necessary, for album art....so that's everything...lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Hi Les,

Thanks for reply. In short I don't want to have to re-rip all my MP4 files again (approx 70 CD albums) just so the album art work is supported properly...I will have a play with MP3 Tag and see what happens. If you (or any board members) have any good ideas to make MP4 support album art (by editing existing files not ripping) on an X series, please let me know

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM

I use winamp for my playing on the pc and laptop and itunes10 to album art/tag. I'm extremely surprised how far the abortion known as itunes has come, i've done about 40gb so far of tagging and album art in the past week and itunes hasn't done any of it's typical slow down over time or crashing.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 10-14-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Added poll, threw in a few obscure ones too ... yea I know there's many more.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 PM

i use EAC to rip CDs to flac.

Foobar2000 to play files on computer and convert them LAME mp3 V0 for mp3 players.

I use mp3tag for mp3 files.

Last edited by eboyer93; 11-02-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Added poll, threw in a few obscure ones too ... yea I know there's many more.
Great poll, especially because it allows choosing more than one!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM

For those who convert from FLAC > Lossy i suggest dBpoweramp. It's the best at music converting and using it after setup is as simple as highlighting files and right clicking and clicking Convert To.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Indeed, switched to dBpoweramp some times ago as well. It's excellent. I used to use Speek's free FLAC Frontend solution, but that one's no good with ID3v2 tag support.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Strange no one clicked on dBpoweramp yet, it is multiple choice ...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 AM

I "manage" my music in Windows Explorer, the way I want, not the way some app forces me to - dBpoweramp is just a lossless>lossy converter for me, via rightclick in Explorer. Thus, no vote.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Strange no one clicked on dBpoweramp yet, it is multiple choice ...
The free version doesn't have all the functionality of the paid version, IIRC....maybe our members are all "frugal".

Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... maybe our members are all "frugal".
lol, I thought TDS was big on it and a few others ...

Edit: BTW I convert files with foobar, I find it easy enough, but aside from that and a few a/b ... i only use it to check out other recommendations on irc

Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM

I didn't see it up there when i voted hehe. dfkt was the one who suggested dBpoweramp to me and I've been using it ever since.

Quote:
I "manage" my music in Windows Explorer, the way I want, not the way some app forces me to
Indeed, same here and i drag music to winamp from there hehe. I don't have a media library on any software, it's just not as good as folder organization imo.