android
Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 AM

Default New Creative ZEN

The proper article is at epizenter.com

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

$300 is a bit high IMHO. I think this should bump the Zen V+ line down a bit and fill in that space or maybe a bit higher. $270 for the 16gigger should be about right. It's basically the bastard child of a V+ and a Zen Vision W, take a Zen V, add a bigger screen and controls similar to the W and you get this new one. So is the $50 coming from the screen? I mean, I don't think a bigger screen costs that much considering the price point of the Meizu M6. I would expect a 16gb M6 to cost around 250-270 dollars or such, so this should follow suit IMHO.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's the link: http://www.epizenter.net/news.php?extend.321

"That is the highest amount of colors I've seen for a 2.5" display." - Hello? D2?

But wow, just wow... 16GB, SD slot, video support like the ZVM. That's one awesome player, kicking the D2's and Clix2's behind quite good in several aspects.

If it weren't MTP and had file/folder browsing (which I very much doubt), I'd be sold.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Impressive! 16 M-color screen, plenty of codec support, expansion slot, 16 GB... By the way, are the controls tactile?? If so, it will be an amazing player. I hope they also fix the EQ problem that plagued the 30 GB Zen Vision:M and Zen V / V Plus.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The controls look tactile to me, judging by the pic - another HUGE plus.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

*drool *

Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM

It's a step in the right direction, that's certain, but it's still a pity that Creative haven't brought out a larger capacity (slimmer) player i.e an 80GB Vision player.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like a winner to me , but I agree w/Almoxil, hope they fix the eq.

Sumx4182, yes the price might seem high at first, but knowing you...you’ll be posting affordable deals a few months after it’s available

...as far as the controls, how often do you read about someone complaining about Creative’s UI

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The controls look tactile to me, judging by the pic - another HUGE plus.
I'm officially impressed!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000UV4EUG

Quote:
The device supports MJPEG, WMV9 and--with transcoding--MPEG1 and 2, MPEG4-SP, DivX 4 and 5, and XviD.
If that is true, this is the lamest video player ever. I hope Creative isn't that extremely stupid to ditch native MPEG4 support... Who the hell would want MJPEG and WMV9 crap instead of MPEG1/2/4?

Unfortunately, I trust the info on Amazon more than the one from Epizenter, seeing several errors in Epizenter's post...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If that is true, this is the lamest video player ever. I hope Creative isn't that extremely stupid to ditch native MPEG4 support...
That would be just a giant Sansa...
I mean, if it's a MiniPMP, it should have codec support like every other full-fledged PMP. But if it's a DAP with video only as a bonus feature (Zen V, e200, T9...) it's OK to have only MJPEG.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This is so incredibly braindead, I'm (almost) lost for words. Creative's higher-capacity HDD-based players support MPEG4, but for a lower-capacity flash-based player they use the worst, most ineffective codec ever, converting a 100MB MPEG4 file to a 500MB MJPEG file...

BTW - WMV9 (which is natively supported) needs more processing power to decode than a comparable MPEG4-SP file...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:

A razor sharp 2.5-inch display makes your photos and videos come to life. See the Zen in detail.

Small size. Big features. All in the palm of your hand. View larger.

Add even more storage capacity via the SD card slot. View larger.
Design
The Zen sports a 2.5-inch TFT color display with 320 x 240-pixel resolution and support for up to 16.7 million colors. This razor sharp display is packaged in a device that weighs just 2.1 ounces and measures 3.26 x 2.16 x .44 inches (W x H x D). The internal battery powers the Zen for up to 25 hours of continuous audio playback and up to five hours of continuous video playback. Use the Zen's SD slot to expand your portable media library with music, photos and videos stored on your SD card. There's also a handy built-in microphone for capturing notes on the go.

Features
Load up up your favorite songs, as well as your album art, and get going with the Zen. The device supports iTunes Plus tracks from the iTunes store and MP3 and WMA tracks. Subscription and pay-per-download music services are supported, as well. Discover, save, and play millions of songs when subscribing to services such as Yahoo Music Unlimited and Napster To Go. You can even tune into your favorite stations with the Zen's FM radio. The radio allows you to save up to 34 presets.

The Zen has you covered when it comes to video, too. The device supports MJPEG, WMV9 and--with transcoding--MPEG1 and 2, MPEG4-SP, DivX 4 and 5, and XviD. Enjoy purchased or rented movies and TV shows from online services such as Amazon Unbox and Walmart.com. Watch home videos. Even load your Tivo To Go movies and TV shows onto your Zen.

Additional features include a clock and alarm function, volume restriction, eight equalizer settings, and a USB hard drive mode, which allows you to drag and drop files directly to and from your Zen. The Zen can also function as a handy organizer, allowing you to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook and display your contacts, calendar, and tasks.

What's in the Box
Zen player, earphones, USB 2.0 cable, installation CD, and quick start guide.

From amazon.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
volume restriction, eight equalizer settings...
Volume restriction, eight equalizer settings (no custom EQ)...this thing gets better and better.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Additional features include [...] volume restriction
Great feature!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

The zen is available at amazon now! see http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...89&camp=211189

It seems to be sleek in size.

I was really surprised to see the player support for iTunes Plus tracks from the iTunes store. I guess creative really know what we are hoping for

Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM

this new PMP from Creative looks interesting but it doesn't compare to the D2 or the new thinner M6 design of the which is to be named the M6 SE.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hold your horses, evvabuddy... we obviously bitched too soon.

The Zen does seem to play MPEG4/XviD/DivX - it's just not "certified by DivX" (as if anyone would care).

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...ct=16999&nav=1

Quote:
This product is not certified by DivX Inc. and may not play all DivX 4 and DivX 5 files. XviD encoded files are playable if they are encoded as standard MPEG-4 Simple (SP) or Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) without GMC and QPEL support. Other formats, for example MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, may be transcoded with the bundled software. Appropriate codecs must be preinstalled.
It also does have a 5-band custom EQ. Still no OGG, FLAC, or anything else... they just don't listen. Also no word if the slot is SDHC capable (anything else would be ridiculous, but one never knows). Battery life is half of D2.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i said "please"

Hehe...

I love it!!! And as you noted, you did.

This ZEN is gonna be the best ZEN of them all!!!

Where's ZenChick....Wonder what her take will be?

I also see they (Creative) are rolling out the accessories. The Clear acrylic case, etc.
I must say my interest is peaked..

Old 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Hehe...

I love it!!! And as you noted, you did.