android
Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 AM

I've been in the market for a new player for a while now. I'm currently using my pocket pc phone which is great for books and podcasts (especially podcasts, they download directly to the phone), but can't fit all of my music. Anyway, every time a decide on a player to buy, a new, better player comes out. I think I can finally declare the Zen Card the winner:

*Capacity
*SD/SDHC Expansion Slot
*Screen Size
*Audio formats supported (especially excited about the AAC support)
*Standard USB connection
*Possible UMS

Now if Creative would finally fix their bookmarking problem and allow for folder browsing, I would be in heaven. Oh well, it's always something.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM

i prefer ID3 tag browsing to folder browsing.
i doubt it will have UMS since it supports subscription tracks, which requires MTP.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 PM

That's one of the biggest annoyances with Creative - why can't they just support both, MSC and MTP, folder browsing and ID3 browsing - like Cowon or Trekstor? Are they afraid of gaining new customers? (Same as with their constant refusal to support OGG or FLAC - it wouldn't cost them a dime in licensing fees, but they just don't do it.)

Old 09-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
i prefer ID3 tag browsing to folder browsing.
i doubt it will have UMS since it supports subscription tracks, which requires MTP.
A player can still have UMS and support MTP (you have to transfer your protected music via MTP, but you can switch to UMS for everything else Sandisk players do this and so to many others). A player can also support ID3 tap browsing and folder browsing. The main menu will just have an extra option (artist, album, genre, etc, then folder). I am speaking from personal experience. The questions is how can we find out whether or not the Zen Card will support these features (not very optimistic on the folder browsing; I know that's a pipe dream)? And, if Creative won't support UMS, why?

If you listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks, ID3 tags are horrible because this content is rarely tagged properly and proper tagging is essential (checking and changing the tags on all 23 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince disks so that the tracks would play in the right order was far from fun; and having to change the tags on the podcasts that I download every day so that I can find them once I get them on my player is even less fun). Also, when you're done with a book, it's great to just hook it up to your computer and delete that folder.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, technology like MP3 players have lead to an explosion in the number of spoken word enthusiast, yet the manufacturers (by and large) have not included features necessary to really take advantage of this content.

Essential features of a Audiobook/Podcast Player:
*In playlist bookmarking (last time I checked and correct me if I'm wrong Creative players will bookmark a track, but it will not resume play within the playlist which means if I bookmark track 10 on disk 5 of my 23 harry potter disks, once I finish listening to this track the player doesn't know what to play next, I have navigate to get back to that playlist in order for it to play track 11; God help me if I'm driving long distances which is when I usually listen to these books).
*Audible.com support (Creative is pretty good about this, I'm sure the Zen Card will not disappoint)
*Folder browsing (Never seen it on a newer Creative player)
*Separates spoken word and music content in shuffle mode
*UMS support (Not usually a Creative feature)
*WMA DRM support (Overdrive and Netlibrary books are available in many cities and states, but you need DRM)
*Tactile buttons (if you need to scan to a certain point in a track that is 1 hour long, you need tactile buttons).

Creative is okay. Cowon is better (no Audible.com support, spotty Overdrive and Netlibrary compatibility). Apple (bookmarking is great for podcast, it's automatic not sure how it works for books, no library support). Rio was the best.

With just some minor tweaks, this new Zen could take Rio's crown. Hopefully, Creative will get a clue. After years of inattention, Apple finally tweaked its software for the spoken word listener. So, I suppose there is hope for Creative and their new Zen.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's one of the biggest annoyances with Creative - why can't they just support both, MSC and MTP, folder browsing and ID3 browsing - like Cowon or Trekstor? Are they afraid of gaining new customers? (Same as with their constant refusal to support OGG or FLAC - it wouldn't cost them a dime in licensing fees, but they just don't do it.)
i totally agree, i'd think that if the whole epizenter community,and others, if we emailed them, we'd probably be able to get those like we did with the fm recording when they took it away.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 AM

Trustedreview:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/re...-On-Preview/p1

Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starZz View Post
The zen is available at amazon now! see http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...89&camp=211189

It seems to be sleek in size.

I was really surprised to see the player support for iTunes Plus tracks from the iTunes store. I guess creative really know what we are hoping for
Not actually available at Amazon, though you can order one there now, as you can from the Creative Store.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
A player can still have UMS and support MTP (you have to transfer your protected music via MTP, but you can switch to UMS for everything else Sandisk players do this and so to many others). A player can also support ID3 tap browsing and folder browsing. The main menu will just have an extra option (artist, album, genre, etc, then folder). I am speaking from personal experience. The questions is how can we find out whether or not the Zen Card will support these features (not very optimistic on the folder browsing; I know that's a pipe dream)? And, if Creative won't support UMS, why?

If you listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks, ID3 tags are horrible because this content is rarely tagged properly and proper tagging is essential (checking and changing the tags on all 23 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince disks so that the tracks would play in the right order was far from fun; and having to change the tags on the podcasts that I download every day so that I can find them once I get them on my player is even less fun). Also, when you're done with a book, it's great to just hook it up to your computer and delete that folder.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, technology like MP3 players have lead to an explosion in the number of spoken word enthusiast, yet the manufacturers (by and large) have not included features necessary to really take advantage of this content.

Essential features of a Audiobook/Podcast Player:
*In playlist bookmarking (last time I checked and correct me if I'm wrong Creative players will bookmark a track, but it will not resume play within the playlist which means if I bookmark track 10 on disk 5 of my 23 harry potter disks, once I finish listening to this track the player doesn't know what to play next, I have navigate to get back to that playlist in order for it to play track 11; God help me if I'm driving long distances which is when I usually listen to these books).
*Audible.com support (Creative is pretty good about this, I'm sure the Zen Card will not disappoint)
*Folder browsing (Never seen it on a newer Creative player)
*Separates spoken word and music content in shuffle mode
*UMS support (Not usually a Creative feature)
*WMA DRM support (Overdrive and Netlibrary books are available in many cities and states, but you need DRM)
*Tactile buttons (if you need to scan to a certain point in a track that is 1 hour long, you need tactile buttons).

Creative is okay. Cowon is better (no Audible.com support, spotty Overdrive and Netlibrary compatibility). Apple (bookmarking is great for podcast, it's automatic not sure how it works for books, no library support). Rio was the best.

With just some minor tweaks, this new Zen could take Rio's crown. Hopefully, Creative will get a clue. After years of inattention, Apple finally tweaked its software for the spoken word listener. So, I suppose there is hope for Creative and their new Zen.
Does anyone out there know how large capacity SD cards the 4, 8 & 16GB models will handle?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 AM

toddtee,

I should think the technical limit of SDHC capability would be the only restriction here.

There have been both 32GB and 64GB sizes announced.. though prices for both of these will be quite high for the next year I would guess. Flash memory prices have been dropping relatively steadily as volume production kicks in and drops the per unit pricing.

All three Zen model sizes should support all capacities of SDHC, with little more than a firmware upgrade needed to handle the bigger cards (if that).

..and Welcome to ABi

Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post

Quote:
Talking of video, the Zen supports MPEG 4, DivX, XviD and WMV, so you should be able to drag and drop your video collection to the device without the need for transcoding. Video appeared to be smooth and well resolved, but of course I was watching content that was put on the device by Creative. When I get a review sample in the lab, I'll put a selection of different format video on the Zen and see how it copes.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:19 AM

no support for ogg flac ape cue sheets... so where's the point in buying this one?