android
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Joystick

Hey all,

The Zen V Plus is set to be released in Canada next week. I am VERY interested in picking one up. However, I'm a little concerned about the joystick on it. Every review I have read on this player says something along the lines of:

"The Creative Zen V Plus's joystick is really small and has a cheap feel to it..."

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it a big enough problem that I should consider buying a different player?

Also, can we expect a full review of the V Plus from the anythingbutipod.com staff in the next little while?

Thanks for your help and info!

AA

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM

If you have big thumbs it might be a problem. My advise is try to find a store with a demo unit you can hold in your hand and get a feel for. I'm sure a review will pop up here asap.

I to am waiting for either Zen V or Zen Plus 4GB and wanna get a feel for it first to be sure. But after decideing on Zen V/Plus or Sansa E200 series but when I felt a sansa the wheel felt to much like a rotery phone that pretty much left the Zen V/Plus.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Editor

I have big hands and i complain about interfaces being too small for me. But, the Zen V is comfortable for me. It is small but the small size keeps it out of the way of accedental pressings. I like it better then creatives other touch designs, but i am partial to tactile interfaces.

As far as feeling cheap... the best way i could descripe the build of the Zen V is "a well made toy". It feels light and plasticy, but there is still a sense of solidness and durability.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the joystick feel solid? Or does it seem like something you could break off if you're not careful? My biggest concern about this would be, what if someone (like me) were to decide to carry this in his or her pocket?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 AM

I just picked up a Zen V for my wife because I was sick of her hijacking my Vision:M. In my opinion, the joystick is solid. My wife prefers it to the Vision's touch pad, as a matter of fact.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've become tired of the issues with my Philips flash player, so I'm going to sell it to a less demanding person. I've already ordered a 4GB Zen V, and I'm expecting it to be delivered soon.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 PM

Thumbs up Zen V Joystick

Just picked up a Zen V 4GB from Dell (on sale for 148.50 USD) and free 3-5 day shipping (I think). The joystick is very low profile(almost like the pointer on a laptop). I think the "cheap" reference is more focused on the fact that it is plastic - not metal.

So far it doesn't feel delicate or flimsy, but it is in keeping with the design of the rest of the unit. Sound quality is outstanding (I was actually able to raise the volume so that it was too loud to listen and had to back it down - there is a volume limit option but in the new firmware which was on the unit it can be toggled on and off as an option)and the music syncs with the URGE music service without a hitch (running under WMP 11) and ALL of the album art shows up including art for locally saved songs that didn't have album art associated with it.

More info as get a chance to play with it...

Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 PM

I've had a Zen V 4GB for about two weeks now. I think this is a great little player. It's very tuff and has a good pocketable shape. I've heard people say that it seems flimsy, but I can't see how they could conclude this. Maybe because its all plastic, but it seems to be a very high quality plastic. The first day I had it I accidentally dropped it onto the tile floor of my kitchen from about 5ft up and it bounced a few times. Not only did it not sustain any damage but it didn't even get a scratch. Just now I'm examining it closely, and it really looks exactly as it did when I got it and I've used it a lot in these two weeks. I think this is a very tough gadget, and it seems to me that it was designed with toughness as a priority. In line with this, the joystick doesn't seem flimsy at all. Certainly I've made no attempt to push it gently, and will, for example, use the joystick while I'm jogging and in this case I'm not delicate at all. It's never really occurred to me that it would break.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM

The joystick feels solid. I have big fingers, and the sansa e200 was driving me nuts with how they have the tiny keys flanking the wheel, which made them something of a pain to press. With the Zen, all the keys are laid out to be very accessible. And with only 4gb of files, the fact that scrolling is only so fast isn't that big of a deal. The only time when I didn't like the joystick was when I was typing my name in the player, i.e. lots of moving and pressing quickly.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails2k5
The only time when I didn't like the joystick was when I was typing my name in the player, i.e. lots of moving and pressing quickly.
+1

I hesitated on buying a V many times because looking at it in the store the joystick just didn't look "right". I finally broke down and got mine 2 days ago from Amazon. I couldn't be happier with it... sturdy and easy to operate.

Oh yeah, sounds damn good, too!

ZV:M (black)
Zen V (4 Gig)
Zen Microphoto (orange)
Zen Nano Plus (red)
Sandisk Sansa m240 (backup DAP)
PA2V2 amplifier
AKG K240 Studio, Shure E4c-n, Shure E2c, Koss Sparkplugs, Koss KSC75, Creative EP630
BSE, Kroo black silicon case, black Kroo Forza & Melrose cases, i-tec aluminum case, Case Logic WMPC5

Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 PM

Default joystick

i've had my creative zen v plus for about 1 month and the joystick has broken has anyone else had this problem?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:30 PM

I have never had that problem ... what were you doing when it broke? Ie. sitting in your pocket/purse or using it?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM

Anyways if you have only had it for a month you should be able to replace it.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 AM

the joystick lookskinda cheep but its not i dont think its pretty solid i htink

Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 AM

The joysticks on the Zen V's are very easy and dont feel like it is going to brake

Old 12-27-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Does the Zen V+ have a sticky joystick?

My daughter's Zen Sleek died after 11 months and 2 weeks and because it's no longer available at the retailer it was purchased from (in the UK), a full refund was received. She is now trying to decide on a replacement and the Zen V+ is near the top of the list. There is one concern, however. I have a Sony Ericsson phone that has a similar looking joystick and over a period of around 1 year it has become "sticky" and unresponsive at times. I believe this is probably due to dirt and fluff working its way into the joystick mechanism as I usually carry it in my pocket. My fear is that the joystick on the Zen V+ will suffer the same fate. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Zen V+ ?

Thanks
Wooders

Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM

Default hey

hey,
i know this may sound like some what of a silly question but
if i send my creative back to the company to fix the joystick
and its still under warrenty will i be charged, and do you think
they will be able fix it?
thanx heaps

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wooders: The Zen V/V+ hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have been able to gather that kind of data; however, one thing that can be done to prevent it from happening is to occasionally blow the joystick out with a can of compressed air and the straw attachment.

creative91: I do believe Creative charges a nominal fee for processing warranty repairs (I personally think that's pretty silly), but it's still far less than the cost of a new player. They'll either fix it or replace it at their discretion (hint: Back up everything you've got on your player before sending it in). You might be better off just taking it back to the store where you got it for an exchange.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Unhappy Broken Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
i've had my creative zen v plus for about 1 month and the joystick has broken has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, clark, my joystick broke yesterday. I pushed it in to choose an artist, and it snapped in two pieces, like cutting a pie in half. I've had it for about 5 months, and sent Creative an email for support.

The unit was never dropped. I'm 49 and listen to full ripped CDs about 5 to 10 hours a week with it.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Angry Broken Joystick

I received an email from Creative Support today. The bill for replacing the joystick will be a minimum of $25 US. I asked if they could just mail a new joystick and the answer was "no". I cannot recommend Creative products anymore. The Zen V plays great, but $25 to replace a part that probably costs less than a nickel is ridiculous. Losing customers over a nickel part is insane.