android
Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Firmware Update

Hey Guys,

First post here at ABI, so howdy!

I want to update my ZVM (Euro) with the American firmware because of the volume limit. Creative recommended me to do this which I found quite werid.....

Anyways, on the 'firmware update tips' page it says I should back up all my media. Now is this nesscessary? Do they say just because there is the odd chance that they will be deleted? I know it seems quiet a silly thing to moan at, but I have 30GB on my Zen and only 20GB on my PC's HDD.

What are the chances of bricking it? I know there's always a chance when flashing but is it a common thing to happen?

Thanks for your time and sorry for the n00b questions

Reece

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Hello and welcome to ABi!

Bricking your ZV:M with a firmware update? It's always possible, but very unlikely if you follow the instructions carefully. One thing to keep in mind: make sure your player's battery has enough charge before updating the firmware.

I did upgrade the firmware of my ZV:M more than once, and I've never had any problems.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 PM

I have to agree with Almoxil that it's pretty unlikely that reloading your firmware will cause you to lose any files on your hard drive.

I'd also like to point out that what you need to do isn't upgrade your firmware, but reload it. An upgrade just loads the new rev on top of the old, while a reload removes the old first, and that's necessary to change from euro to US firmware.

So, in addition to making sure you have a good charge on your battery, you need to have the new firmware available on your desktop, and most important, make sure your ZVM is being recognized by your PC because when you choose 'reload firmware' from the recovery menu, it deletes the old. If your Zen isn't recognized when you plug it in, you can't load the new, and then your player will be bricked.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Thank you very much for your help.

But do I have to create a back up of my media?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

It's always good to make a backup copy when doing updates (after all, sh*t happens ). Since you have only 20 GB of available disk space in your computer, try backing up the important stuff first.

But I've never experienced problems updating the firmware of my players.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 AM

Hey,

I was doing some research bout the 'update' and found this guide:
1| Download the latest American firmware update (currently v1.30.02 download here)

2| Detach the Zen Vision:M player from your computer, and ensure that the unit is off.

3| Slide the Power switch towards the Power icon and hold the switch left in the Power On position.

4| Push the end of a pin-like object (for example, a straightened paper clip) into the reset hole, press gently and remove (this reboots the player).

5| Release the Power switch (to the middle) when the Creative logo appears. The Recovery Mode menu appears:

* Clean Up (Performs a disk scan on the player's hard disk, it will not affect music files)
* Format All (Formats the players hard disk - Note: all contents will be lost)
* Reload Firmware (Reloads the Operating System on the Zen. Select this option ONLY if there is a firmware available to reload)
* Reboot (Reboots the device)

6| Select reload firmware.

7| Once done connect the player to your pc and run the American firmware upgrade.

8| Leave it to do this (it will reboot, then rebuild the player - you wont loose any data, and voila all done).

Can someone just double check it for me, just so I know its the right process.

Reece

Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM

The procedure is right, but the latest firmware revs are 1.62.02 for the 30Gb and 1.21.02 for the 60Gb ZVMs.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:34 PM

So when I press 'reload' my zen is not connected to the PC?

Is it often that media gets deleted in firmware updates?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM

That's right, you can't really access the reset button to boot into the recovery menu with the dongle in place, so by necessity you're not connected. When you select 'reload firmware' it will start the process of removing the old firmware. I don't remember what it says exactly, but you'll know when to plug into your PC and start reloading.

As for losing files during the process, it's like everybody has heard some story about a friend of someone that it happened to, but nobody has direct experience of it happening. I'd say it's pretty rare... or a Zen urban legend.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 AM

Will it say something like 'connect player' or 'reload finished'?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM

I honestly can't remember what it says, but it's pretty obvious when it has finished removing the old firmware and is ready for the new. I don't think you'll have any trouble recognizing when the time is right.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekuss View Post
Hey,

I was doing some research bout the 'update' and found this guide:
1| Download the latest American firmware update (currently v1.30.02 download here)

2| Detach the Zen Vision:M player from your computer, and ensure that the unit is off.

3| Slide the Power switch towards the Power icon and hold the switch left in the Power On position.

4| Push the end of a pin-like object (for example, a straightened paper clip) into the reset hole, press gently and remove (this reboots the player).

5| Release the Power switch (to the middle) when the Creative logo appears. The Recovery Mode menu appears:

* Clean Up (Performs a disk scan on the player's hard disk, it will not affect music files)
* Format All (Formats the players hard disk - Note: all contents will be lost)
* Reload Firmware (Reloads the Operating System on the Zen. Select this option ONLY if there is a firmware available to reload)
* Reboot (Reboots the device)

6| Select reload firmware.

7| Once done connect the player to your pc and run the American firmware upgrade.

8| Leave it to do this (it will reboot, then rebuild the player - you wont loose any data, and voila all done).

Can someone just double check it for me, just so I know its the right process.

Reece
No! Simply run the firmware exe file you downloaded from creative. You don't need to go into the recovery menu.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
No! Simply run the firmware exe file you downloaded from creative. You don't need to go into the recovery menu.
Oh really?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure I know what's what.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klumsy bot View Post
Sorry Klumsy, but that won't work for what he's trying to do. To replace the euro firmware with US, you have to remove it first with the reload command. Simply overwriting it won't work.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darogl View Post
Sorry Klumsy, but that won't work for what he's trying to do. To replace the euro firmware with US, you have to remove it first with the reload command. Simply overwriting it won't work.

Aw man. It sounded a lot less 'sketchy-ier' The only thing I'm worried about is wiping my ZVM whilst not even connected to the comp. You sure it will pick it up?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm from the UK and i followed all the steps about reloading firmware and i did it but when i went to update it the American firmware updater told me it wasn't connected, but the UK one did and the UK one also told me i was trying to put the same firmware on that it already had so i thought i must have done it wrong so i canceled it done it again and the same thing happened so i decided to stop trying but when i turned it on it said firmware issue or trouble or something like that so thinking i must have done it right this time tried again the American one still told me nothing was connected and UK told me i was reloading same thing so i just went ahead with UK one and it's the same as before. o well could of been worse i suppose.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekuss View Post
Aw man. It sounded a lot less 'sketchy-ier' The only thing I'm worried about is wiping my ZVM whilst not even connected to the comp. You sure it will pick it up?
Sorry for the delay getting back to you Rekuss. I was gone for a couple of days and forgot to look for this thread when I got back.

I can appreciate that it's scary to wipe your firmware and then trust you'll be able to load it back on. You shouldn't have any problems, but there's no guarantee. Based on XJ3F3Y's post, it might be a good idea to have a copy of the Euro firmware on hand as well as the US.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ3F3Y View Post
I'm from the UK and i followed all the steps about reloading firmware and i did it but when i went to update it the American firmware updater told me it wasn't connected, but the UK one did and the UK one also told me i was trying to put the same firmware on that it already had so i thought i must have done it wrong so i canceled it done it again and the same thing happened so i decided to stop trying but when i turned it on it said firmware issue or trouble or something like that so thinking i must have done it right this time tried again the American one still told me nothing was connected and UK told me i was reloading same thing so i just went ahead with UK one and it's the same as before. o well could of been worse i suppose.
This is a new one on me. I've never heard of one firmware recognizing your ZVM but not another. Are you certain you downloaded the correct version for your player? There are several similar sounding versions on the Creative site.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 AM

Ah np Darogl!

I've decided not to bother with it at the moment, because the volumes are fine for me and I just want to have some fun with it.

Thanks for your help, I'll be surely use this when I come to flash it.

Reece

Old 09-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darogl View Post
This is a new one on me. I've never heard of one firmware recognizing your ZVM but not another. Are you certain you downloaded the correct version for your player? There are several similar sounding versions on the Creative site.
I tried it downloading and installing again and it worked although it still said it was putting on the same firmware as before which shows it doesn't fully get rid of it, but anyway that didn't make any difference i was still allowed to install. Sorry for wasting any ones time , thanks dargol for this help and sorry to rekuss don't not do it because of me seeing as it was probably down to something stupid like downloading the wrong one.