android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Features That You Want to See in the New Zen

Alright, I know it hasn't been release yet, but I think it's a good time, so that possibly creative will see them and include them in the firmware updates etc.

Here is what I want to see:
-
First,I'm hoping this player wont loose any functionality that the Zen Vision: M had.

- Screen that completely turns off when the player is playing music and is not touched. Only while playing music not Videos. - I think this feature is kinda in place, but the screen still seemed like it was on from the videos.

- When on shuffle, pressing back would return to the previous song, not a random song. This kills me on my 60GB Zen - Continuous playback

-
AV Out. I love to be able to take my player to someones house and play a movie from it

- Faster Interface - I think this will be fixed since it's a flash player

-
Ability to sort Music by Folders/Filenames or by ID3 Tags - The best of both worlds

-
NO MTP!!! UMS is the way to go please!

- FM Recording would be pretty nice

- Movie File playback, Xvid, without transcoding

- The ability to create your own themes would be nice.

- Games - Would be nice if this supported java phone games, etc.

-
I wonder what it would take to have built in FM transmitting capabilities. I don't really need this feature, but it would be nice not to have an extra huge device

- Lastly Rockbox!!! Well this one will depend on the community

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM

IMO i prefer MTP>UMS (i have my music very organized by ID3 tags, i wouldnt mind though a UMS/MTP system.
X-Fi
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

...customisability...
...i want my own themes too...
...and i want to name it...

Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
- NO MTP!!! UMS is the way to go please!
Don't hold your breath. Going by its specifications, it's sure to be an MTP device. UMS is quickly losing favor in the DAP world.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is. A transport protocol that is specifically designed for a specific use (MTP) is generally going to be superior to a generic, one-size-fits-all protocol (UMS). Right now, the only thing working against MTP is its lack of universality, but that's being addressed. Right now, it's possible to use MTP devices on nearly every Windows version except 3.x, NT, and 95; and MTP can be used on Linux.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
IMO i prefer MTP>UMS (i have my music very organized by ID3 tags, i wouldnt mind though a UMS/MTP system.
X-Fi
Thats why I would love for them to allow you to search through the music both via ID3 and by Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Don't hold your breath. Going by its specifications, it's sure to be an MTP device. UMS is quickly losing favor in the DAP world.

Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is. A transport protocol that is specifically designed for a specific use (MTP) is generally going to be superior to a generic, one-size-fits-all protocol (UMS). Right now, the only thing working against MTP is its lack of universality, but that's being addressed. Right now, it's possible to use MTP devices on nearly every Windows version except 3.x, NT, and 95; and MTP can be used on Linux.
I know , such a sad thing though... I went to my gf's house with my player and was trying to connect my player to her computer. But she didn't have WMP 11. So then I had to worry about getting WMP11, and since she has Windows Media Center 2005, WMP11 didn't want to install right of way. So I had to find what was wrong, etc. When I finally got it, it was working fine. But it was just painful getting to that point.

Now is the reason for using MTP because they can hide files etc.? Like say hide player settings, so that no one can hack them etc. But with UMS, everything would be visible...

Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One of the benefits of MTP is that it doesn't bind the player to the FAT filesystem. The manufacturer is free to develop and use a filesystem optimized for the specific player; the host computer doesn't have to know how to use the player's filesystem. With UMS, you expose the player directly to the computer, so you're forced to use a filesystem that both the player and the host computer can understand. This limits you to FAT or FAT32 - neither of which are exactly optimal for DAP use - particularly higher-capacity players.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM

-Though it would never happen Ogg Vorbis support would be nice. Though i can imagine this reducing the Zen's battery life significantly.

- A better play count system. i.e the track doesn't count as being played until the end of the song or maybe a Last.fm esque system where it registers as being played after 50% of the song is played

-Though Creative cannot really control this but good third party support. Though that obviously has to be a result of market penetration.

Following from my last point the only thing i could want from Creative is a healthy market penetration that actually gives the ipod a run for its money, while i understand that the Zen Vision M and Zen have technically more superior specs this is useless unless people actually buy their product.
Logitech Z-3 speakers
Sony D-NE1 Atrac/mp3 CD player R.I.P

Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
One of the benefits of MTP is that it doesn't bind the player to the FAT filesystem. The manufacturer is free to develop and use a filesystem optimized for the specific player; the host computer doesn't have to know how to use the player's filesystem. With UMS, you expose the player directly to the computer, so you're forced to use a filesystem that both the player and the host computer can understand. This limits you to FAT or FAT32 - neither of which are exactly optimal for DAP use - particularly higher-capacity players.
Thanks ZenChick! I guess I kinda now see why all of the bigger sized players have MTP. Plus Fat32 is restricted to max 32 Space.

I'm getting used to the whole MTP thing, it's just slower then I would like for it to be, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicxxplosive View Post
-Though it would never happen Ogg Vorbis support would be nice. Though i can imagine this reducing the Zen's battery life significantly.

- A better play count system. i.e the track doesn't count as being played until the end of the song or maybe a Last.fm esque system where it registers as being played after 50% of the song is played

-Though Creative cannot really control this but good third party support. Though that obviously has to be a result of market penetration.

Following from my last point the only thing i could want from Creative is a healthy market penetration that actually gives the ipod a run for its money, while i understand that the Zen Vision M and Zen have technically more superior specs this is useless unless people actually buy their product.
What do you mean by the count system? Is this for the Random feature?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 AM

Well, here's a feature I do NOT want to see... having to transcode movies.. not looking pretty, check the specs/requirements as listed on the Best Buy Canada site... http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...est%5Fcookie=1

Video Playback Format: MJPEG, WMV9 (with Transcoding - MPEG 1 and 2, MPEG4-SP, DivX 4, DivX 5, XviD)

Creative's lack of clarity on this issue is quite annoying, if this is true about transcoding.. then I have just lost interest in this model.. but information is contradictory at this point...

Looks like it's confirmed on the Creative US site now too.. dammit.....
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...Specifications

Old 09-08-2007, 01:25 AM

From creative's site

"This product is not certified by DivX Inc. and may not play all DivX 4 and DivX 5 files. XviD encoded files are playable if they are encoded as standard MPEG-4 Simple (SP) or Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) without GMC and QPEL support. Other formats, for example MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, may be transcoded with the bundled software. Appropriate codecs must be preinstalled."

From this, I guess the player is able to play DivX and Xvid, but other formats such as moeg1 and mpeg2 needs to be transcoded.
Again, it's speculation on our part. Let's wait for another 1-2 weeks.

In the meantime, I've sent in feedback and suggestion to increase support for higher video resolution and video-out thru future firmware upgrades....probably futile but just trying my luck

Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 AM

Hey gnohz, Glad to see you made it to ABi...

Unfortunately it looks like we're out of luck on this particular issue...

Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 AM

Hey Utew, thks for the intro!

Yeah, no high resolution support, no nothing...
it'll be worse if transcoding takes up a lot of time...
I'll make another trip down to Creative to confirm stuff once the player's on display.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 AM

gah. damn creative.. their sites have been out of sync lately. from their press release, it says it supports DIVX4/5 /Xvid WMV9 MPeg4.

idk, i think we should REALLLY email Creative and tell them. it NEEDS to support VGA video playback, because well, one, the iPod nano with the smaller screen and worse video support SUPPORTS vga video
Black EP-630's

Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 AM

I've sent in my feedback (refer to above post) about vga support...perhaps if everyone of us sent in feedback regarding the same issue, we might be able to persuade them to release upgrades more quickly..idk...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Im going to be mad if it doesn't support non transcoded files!!! Plus its a killer that there probably wont be an AV out!

I'm really starting to consider on getting a Cowon D2...

Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM

come on guys! lets send em feed back. no, i think that it will support divx/xvid, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didnt..
Black EP-630's

Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 PM

I believe it supports DIVX4/5 /Xvid WMV9 MPeg4. It's only the resolution that they can support that's lacking..It's just the way how they phrase things...Please send in your feedbacks! We might be able to change their minds...i hope

Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 PM

ive sent in mine, also sent in a bit about how maybe they could add video out or sd to memory function, but i think that VGA playback is much more important
Black EP-630's

Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
ive sent in mine, also sent in a bit about how maybe they could add video out or sd to memory function, but i think that VGA playback is much more important
Tell me were to send

VGA playback is for what exactly? TV mode?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:57 AM

no just VGA playback period. i don't want to waste my time converting videos.. ALL of them ,since most are in between like a resolution of 332x442 and 640x480
http://us.creative.com/support/contact/emailform.asp
theres the link.
Black EP-630's