android
Old 09-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Incorrect Size Information

I just registered so I could give back to the community with a quick heads up. The Pilot's dimensions are incorrectly listed on Insignia-produts.com and BB's website list it as:
3.3 x 1.6 x 0.4"

These are the Sport's dimensions and definitely wrong for the Pilot. I went to BB today expecting something shorter, (yet thicker) than the 1g/2g Nano and was very disappointed to see that the Pilot was larger in all dimensions.

The true dimensions are more like:
3.875 x 1.875 x 0.5"

It doesn't seem too off on paper, but realistically, it turns the Pilot from a Nano-sized player (like the new Sport is) to something more like a candybar cell phone or portable Sirius unit.

Just so you know I'm not making this up:

Even though the ruler is crooked in the picture, you can see the length of the unit clearly surpasses the 3.3" mark.

Edit: Oops. I kinda fudged the dimensions because the unit was still in the package. Had I flipped it over, I would have seen the manufacturer's dimensions on the other side of the top Insignia flag. They read:
0.43 x 1.96 x 3.9"

Yowza. It's a far cry from a Nano as far as perceived size goes (sorry I don't have one to take a picture of). Howver, holding it in my hand, it's still VERY slim and light (mostly plastic & no HDD). In fact, it almost reminds me of holding a Nano. It doesn't take up my whole palm like the original iPod did, which is nice. I kinda miss the heft, though. It makes it feel more delicate. However, my iPod's HDD lasted two years. We'll see which is more delicate in the long run. Oh, plus... one year warranty. In my opinion, that almost makes this thing disposable. By this time next year, I'll want something else even if this thing still works.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks for posting this. It really is amazing that they would list the incorrect size for this. Then again, I've come to expect incompetence as the norm.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Hey, no problem. Like I said, I'm just trying to pay back a little. There is a lot of great information (and opinions) on these forums.

So, here's how it fits in my best Apple-esque hand. I wear a Small motorcycle glove if that means anything to anyone (in fact, you can just barely see the ICON logo from my gloves in the top right of the picture). I'm sure there are some of you with some real sasquatch hands that would dwarf this thing, so YMMV obviously.

OK, I'm off to charge this sum'bitch. Maybe I'll try to do a little YouTube review or something.

Edit: Here's a little sizeasy thing I put together for comparison sake. I had the new Sansa view in there, which is a real monster as far as height goes. I ditched it to include the new Pilot's numbers instead.
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...Insignia-Pilot

Old 09-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks for this stuff, It really helps

Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Is the battery user replaceable? If so, what battery does it take?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM

It looks to be replaceable. There is a battery door on the back. I can't figure out how to get it off, though. The User Manual, which I couldn't find on the Insignia website, refers to purchasing batteries. However, it refers you to http://bestbuy.partsearch.com. I haven't looked at the website to see if the information is even there yet.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to your possible YouTube review.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quick question: Are those dots on the scrollwheel simply painted on, or do they light up during use?

Can't wait for some in-use pictures and impressions! Thanks, Trunk666! By the way, Digitaldel said over on DAPreview that the battery door is screwed on, but can be removed (with a screwdriver, natch) to access the replaceable battery.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggish View Post
Thanks again for the info. Looking forward to your possible YouTube review.
Same here

Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Yeah, the dots are raised and light up. It's pretty sweet. I believe they go out when the screen dims during MP3 play.

I couldn't tell if the dot on the battery door was a screw cover or some kind of latch button to release the door. I didn't want to go digging in there without doing some more reading. Thanks for that.

I don't have a great camera. I guess my laptop camera will have to do if I do a little run-through.

The only problems I'm having with it right now are some of the menus, like in the system settings, are a little counter intuitive. Sometimes you need to use the scroll wheel to scroll down a list. If you press down on the click wheel, it selects whatever is highlighted. To me, that's what the center Play/Pause button is for. Oh well. I'll get used to it.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk666 View Post
The only problems I'm having with it right now are some of the menus, like in the system settings, are a little counter intuitive. Sometimes you need to use the scroll wheel to scroll down a list. If you press down on the click wheel, it selects whatever is highlighted. To me, that's what the center Play/Pause button is for. Oh well. I'll get used to it.
I've found that to be one of my main issues with the older NS-DV. I was hoping they would fix that.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Ok Trunk666, don't get lazy on us and do a little show and tell ala youtube

Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Does the Pilot have a lanyard hole? If so, where is it located, i.e. In the corner or in the middle of the edge?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 PM

No lanyard hole that I can tell from looking at photos plus, no lanyard on my Insignia NS-DV.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:18 PM

Just bought the 4GB pilot last night. I can confirm there is no lanyard hole and no lanyard included.