android
Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Struggling between this and the iPod touch

I was pretty much steadfast on getting the iPod touch (not an Apple whore [read my older post on that topic xD]) because of its built in WiFi, however I'm having second thoughts since I learned today that the browser doesnt support Flash. I don't really want to drop 4 bills for the standard Apple BS with the only upside being a dumbed down web browser...but then again, its better then nothing.

The Zen is awesome simly because of its small size (I'm assuming its a ZVM screen with a small enclosure), and, even better, the SD expandability. It basically allows you to "upgrade" your player as opposed to having to buy a whole new one. Looking on Amazon, I can pick up a 16 GB Zen, and a 4 GB SD Card, for a (at least for me) whopping 20 GB of flash based storage, for about $280, $20 less then the 8 GB iPod touch.

But I would REALLY like the web...so I dunno. I read on here that the Zen comes out the 26th (16 GB) and the iPod comes out the 28th, so they're about the same.

Idk maybe I'll get some biased comments but whats you're 2 cents?

Oh, and on a related note, is the Zen natively compatible with DivX or not? It lists it as compatible "with conversion", but if it needs to be converted, doesnt that mean its not supported?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM

It's supported provided that you stick strictly to its limitations of 320x240 128kbps and around bitrate 1000 for divx and xvid.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM

I've managed 480 and 720s on my ZVM, i'd be surprised if the new ZSW cant.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 AM

I have/had the same issue as well, but I think I am going to go for the ZEN for several reasons: - better sound quality (most likely, if creative follows it's usual trend) - expandability (as you said) - price - excellent battery life at least those are the three things running through my head, but the question is, besides the internet, are you trying to use this as primarily a video/music player or a web browser because that will always dictate what you should get in the end... by the way, you do know that the wifi can't be turned off? I am fairly sure that that's going to be sucking up some serious juice, even when not in use (though hopefully Apple has already factored that in and then posted up the specs, otherwise that would just be stupid)...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhalfim View Post
I have/had the same issue as well, but I think I am going to go for the ZEN for several reasons: - better sound quality (most likely, if creative follows it's usual trend) - expandability (as you said) - price - excellent battery life at least those are the three things running through my head, but the question is, besides the internet, are you trying to use this as primarily a video/music player or a web browser because that will always dictate what you should get in the end... by the way, you do know that the wifi can't be turned off? I am fairly sure that that's going to be sucking up some serious juice, even when not in use (though hopefully Apple has already factored that in and then posted up the specs, otherwise that would just be stupid)...
Wait, you cant turn the WiFi off?

...thats so stupid, no, thats so Apple...

They reate the player to have 22 hrs of battery life, how the hell does that work with constant WiFi?

May be going ZEN after all

Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Hahhahahahhahahah Apple pulled another on their users. Now with Wifi always been on, I'm positive someone will find a way to hack into the phone... So you could be walking around listening to your iTouch.... next thing you know some donkey stole are your music and deleted it from your player... and posted a very vulgar wallpaper... LOL

Also, you might be interested in a Cowon D2... I'm still deciding which one I want, a Zen or a D2...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Hahhahahahhahahah Apple pulled another on their users. Now with Wifi always been on, I'm positive someone will find a way to hack into the phone... So you could be walking around listening to your iTouch.... next thing you know some donkey stole are your music and deleted it from your player... and posted a very vulgar wallpaper... LOL

Also, you might be interested in a Cowon D2... I'm still deciding which one I want, a Zen or a D2...
I want something with at least 16 GB internal storage (to justify upgrading from my 8GB nano, aside from the obvious), so the choice has been made for me

Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic_bunny View Post
I want something with at least 16 GB internal storage (to justify upgrading from my 8GB nano, aside from the obvious), so the choice has been made for me
What about simply getting an SD card? You can get an 8GB one for $60ish

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
What about simply getting an SD card? You can get an 8GB one for $60ish
Jumping back and fortrh between a memory card and internal memory would be annoying (at least for me), I'd like to do it as little as possible xD

Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Perhaps the Zen see's internal and external memory together ?
Anyway 16gb, 24 and 32gb cards wil be available soon. So you have a better upgrade path then with the touch.
I would look at the review of it on ipodlounge, less then flattering. I think its well overpriced for what it does.

I will be happy with my samsung i600, e590 and creative zen covering all data and entertainment bases for a long time!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Perhaps the Zen see's internal and external memory together ?
Anyway 16gb, 24 and 32gb cards wil be available soon. So you have a better upgrade path then with the touch.
I would look at the review of it on ipodlounge, less then flattering. I think its well overpriced for what it does.

I will be happy with my samsung i600, e590 and creative zen covering all data and entertainment bases for a long time!
Theres a thread here that talks about the SD Card, an owner said it reads them seperatly, but didn't elaborate.

And yea, I'd love to have the net, even crippled net, in the palm of my hand, but I got my 14" lappy for that I suppose...

16 GB Zen + 4 GB SDHC = ftw, and only $285

Old 09-19-2007, 01:54 PM

For that reason I want to buy the 4GB player, and then just get a bigger card.

Plus, since the card can be plugged into a SDHC reader, it technically is UMS and not MTP like the device

Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 PM

i pre-order from amazon for 249. i didnt care for ipod touch as i already have my phone (tmobile dash .. got it for $50) that i can browse the net with when needed (or bored).

i was planning to get the cowon D2 but went in favor of creative zen after it was announced due to more internal storage and better interface. i do like the customization ability of the D2 though.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 PM

according to Reviews: iPOd touch sq isnt good.
a person at Epi mentioned that the Sq is up to par with the Sony A800 series.

we'll just have to wait and see and hope its true.
Black EP-630's
Creative iTrigue L3500 (fabulous sounding speakers)

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 AM

I think creative has the edge on SQ. Apparently the new ipod nano is not bad but the new ipod classic has the best sq in the range. creative are quite consistent with excellent sq across the range.